FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022: Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well done Morocco, that’s a gutsy display. Whoever wins between us and France are in for a game.

AJ123 repped this.
  2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Morocco is no reflection of African football seeing as 14 of their squad are from places like France and Holland.

3. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    In the context of what's gone before in this tournament, yes. But it was a hard stamping motion that would normally get a yellow.

4. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I wish they showed more replays. But it looked like he angled the foot side on before contact on the only replay I have seen.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It’s the way things are going and will be the norm all over the World and why FIFA will ultimately keep relaxing the rules so that Countries in Africa and others will become more competitive. The old days of just of the usual suspects winning will become much more open I think. Nigeria for example could end up with a squad where a majority are English born, same with Ghana.

6. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Don't see a problem here. They're not a load of single grandfather from the country types, like Charlton's Ireland, or natuarlised after playing there. Those born overseas are almost all to Moroccan parents.

Khadrim repped this.
  7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It’s one of the reasons some European countries (Remember many UEFA members benefit from Duals.) have tensions with FIFA but FIFA is now one member one vote and I don’t think the risk of such blatant corruption will allow a return to the old system.

8. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    The BBC were saying that this is a shift in the balance of power but I'm not so sure. It's actually how xG helps sheds more light on the game. Morocco have played a very negative style and having been eeking out victories. Given how short international tournaments are it is possible to win a tournament this way whilst having a significant deficit in player quality to other sides, see Greece in 2004. No one said in 2004 that there was a new European power on the scene so I'm not really seeing a shift in the balance of power here either. If Morocco were outplaying teams then maybe but they're not.

Further on down the line African nations will come to prominence. They have very young populations and in the case of a country like Nigeria, it's a football mad country of 210m. Egypt has a population of 100m. If countries like these two can improve their infrastructure, which will come through economic development then they'll be a serious force in the game.

9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Egypt doesn’t have a large Diaspora which might mean it takes longer. Nigeria has a large diaspora so can dip into that while also improving domestic facilities.

AJ123 repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

I was surprised to see a ref from Argentina taking charge I have to say but I can’t see that he’s to blame for Portugal going out.

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    If anything FIFA would have wanted Portugal to have got through.

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Crazy that a player is talking about the Messi conspiracy though! I have to admit it does feel like Argentina are being guided through. How on earth didn't they get at least one red yesterday?

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ref and all var are from Argentina no replay on the handball shout by the Morocco defender

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah I know and they felt hard done by!

AJ123 repped this.
  15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Wasn’t the VAR officials from Spain? Then again that probably doesn’t help you guys. Was that handball, I can’t even recall seeing a replay to be honest so that might be something.

16. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    So Messi turned it on, Croatia ran out of gas, and the addition of Ally McCoist made the commentary bearable.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Felt like one of the worst WC semi-final displays ever from Croatia. Atrocious defending in the first half.

18. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Two successive penalty shoot outs and aging key players is not a good combination.

19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I don't think its a particularly good Argentina side yet they've achieved more than we ever could. It comes down to a winner mentality compared to a loser mentality. Germany had it Italy had it. We will never have it

20. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Having Messi helps as well.

roverman repped this.
  21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I think this is too simplistic. Maybe winning in the past breeds belief but there are so many other variables to consider. I still think you need to be fortunate. Argentina completely lost the plot in their last game against the Dutch. You could argue they were very fortunate to get away with that.

RobTheFool, roverman and lanman repped this.
  22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Also pretty much every team we discuss as having a ‘winning mentality’ have a very good coach and adaptable game plans. I still don’t think we’ve proved that we are adaptable enough to impending scenarios that arise in tournaments. That is massive in a WC.

RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Agree yet they found a way through. How many times have Germany etc played poorly yet found a way. We just can't seem to do that. France by their standards played poorly against us yet found a way of winning

24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    That's why I would go for mancini because he proved he can make the big calls