FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Aug 4, 2022.

1. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Maybe, but not here.

roverman repped this.
  2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Thanks for the kind words and good luck to you guys too, I think you can beat the Dutch :)

The Clientele repped this.
  3. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you! Anything from this point on is gravy for us, to be candid. I think most fans are delighted to have made it out of the group. Based on recent form in September, hopes were not high going into World Cup. Not sure we match up well with the Netherlands, but will keep fingers crossed for Saturday.

Hope you guys go far in the tournament.

Marcho Gamgee and roverman repped this.
  4. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    I think he has supported Southgate alot and given credit when it was due. What he is saying here is correct, we played better when Philips came on. It's a shame we didn't see Maddison as his point about midfielders playing on the half turn is something he does naturally.

sharpovic and roverman repped this.
  5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Ben White has withdrawn from the Camp for Personal reasons. He is not expected to return and his privacy has been asked to be respected which sounds like something quite sad rather than a dispute.

roverman repped this.
  6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    At home at the Euros -

[​IMG]

At Qatar 2022 -

[​IMG]

7. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Nah he is good on the ball, brilliant at getting space. What you described above is Walcott.

What I agree is he evolved under pep but last two seasons imo digressed to his old self. He practiced good decision making but somehow reverted to dribbling into corners and killing plays unnecessary.

I would pick him so start. Rashford off the bench but very early in second half. A hungry Rashford who is told his team needs him and there's not much time left tends to deliver

sharpovic and roverman repped this.
  8. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Problem with Rashford is that he’s more of a striker than a winger / attacking midfielder. Him coming on means 2 strikers on the pitch, with even less ball carrying players in midfield. I understand that his form makes him the first sub to come on though.

9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Kane will start so I’d pick the two in the best form with most confidence .. so that’s Rashford plus one from Saka / Grealish / Foden / Sterling .

Imagine Maddison in the hole behind a front two of Kane and Rashford !

roverman repped this.
  10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Ben White has apparently left the squad for personal reasons and is not expected back !!!

?!?!?!

12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Sadly going by how Arsenal and his close friend Rob Holding have reacted it sounds quite a sad situation,

roverman and Fullerov repped this.
  13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #2813 Fireburn47, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    We are the only team to get through the group stage without a single yellow card. France got through with only 1 and Spain currently have only one with one more match to play.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I wonder what’s going on with Ben White? I hope he’s ok.

15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I doubt we will find out unless he discloses why or it is an issue that would affect him playing for Arsenal once the season restarts.

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    WC Winner 1978 Argentina - missed a penalty in the 3rd Game
    WC winner 1986 Argentina - missed a penalty in the 3rd Game
    2022 Argentina missed a penalty in the 3rd Game

17. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Certainly if the level of soft penalties they've been getting continues, they'll be a real force....

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It was no worse than Ronaldo’s penalty gift on fact given what everyone knows about Cronaldo and his cheating it’s remarkable that one was given at all ..

Just look how he tried to pinch a treasured World Cup goal of his teammate and supposed friend

usscouse repped this.
  19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It’s commonly seen they don’t get on anymore

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Shock. TitoTata defends ex Barcelona legend over real Madrid legend

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    His name is tarnished with many Real Madrid fans .. he criticised the club horrendously when he left ..

22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Ronaldo has criticised every club when he leaves it. He will probably fall out with the national team in the end when he is dropped for being too old rather than choosing to retire.

roverman and lanman repped this.
  23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
  24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    The main reason the Offside rule probably won’t change for a while is it’s not easy to work out the precise language of any change. Getting it changed won’t be too difficult.

25. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    They don't really need to change it, just stop micro-managing it via VAR.
    Onfield makes the decision - VAR then has 30 seconds viewing with naked eye (no lines or tech, just angles) and changes if it's clearly wrong.
    Won't be 100% but gets rid of the howlers, which is how VAR was sold to everyone.
    Nobody was bothered about a big toe or part of the shoulder being offside, rather the guy standing two yards ahead that the officals inexplicably missed.