FIFA World Cup Brasil 2014 - General Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's very simple, Pipita scores that early goal, that is game. The door is closed and that's it. The Germans would've pushed for a goal, and Pocho would've never been subbed and we hit them for the counter which they were very slow in the back. Messi was blowing by Hummels as if he wasn't there. That was the game, and the World Cup for us. Fortunate for the Germans, and unknown fortunate for us.

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  2. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm still in mourning. I think I may never watch that game, or even highlights of it, again in my life.

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree, since the WC86 final between Argentina and Germany, only the finals of WC98 and this one now have been great in quality and excitement. I only wish DiMaria had been available :(

Moishe repped this.
  4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I never know possession means better. Brazil has more possession that Germany in that semifinal. Even Barcelona when they got beaten 7-0.

Also Germany played France without Ribbery, Brazil without Neymar and Argentina without Di Maria. If that's not an adventage?

Albiceleste2010 and Pipiolo repped this.
  5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    After 1986, the WC final scoreline has always been 0-0. 1-0. 1-1, no more than 1-2 goals, with excception of France 1998.

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I liked the 2014 final, sure it was low-scoring, but it was tense, end-to-end, and interesting right from the whistle to start and the whistle to end.

7. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Please guys , dont remind all those . am still recovering :(

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We did so without Reus, our best attacker, Gündoğan, our best midfielder, Gomez, our best forward, and a host of helpful depth players. We had our fair share of brushes with luck.

Dage repped this.
  9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's very simple, Höwedes scores that early goal, that is game. The door is closed and that's it. The Argies would've pushed for a goal, and Klose would've never been subbed and we hit them for the counter which they were very slow in the back. Schürrle was blowing the defense as if it wasn't there. That was the game, and the World Cup for us. Fortunate these are all ridiculous "if" games that are full of anger.

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pipita's chance came before that header. But nice try Hans.

And FYI, the term "Argie" is pretty derogatory. I'd advise you to not use that word, unless you are cool with us referring the Germans as a WW2 term, and I don't mean kraut.

Albiceleste2010 and jimmi_moh repped this.
  11. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol it was just an abbreviation nothing more, it was neither of a Tommy a Kraut so you better calm down if you don't want to look completley like a fool.
    your point is basically "the team that has the first chance (even not created by themselves) should win the match". Thats hilarious and resembles junior high discussions on the school yard.

12. Berlin1971

Berlin1971 Member

Jun 22, 2006

13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right... An abbreviation....

And as for your comment of "the team that has the first chance (even not created by themselves) should win the match". It's not how "should" win the match, (and who cares if they did not create it for themselves, should that truly matter, anyways, a chance is a chance), it's about knowing how to shut the door when the goal is scored. The Germans scored early vs France and that was that, the same for us vs the Belgians. We closed out that game after we scored early. And I expected to do the same had we scored that early chance we had.

And one last thing, why are you here in the Argentine board, to mock others? Did I step onto your forum to have a disagreement with you, it was merely an opinion. You brought nothing to the conversation, you want to sit there and chastise. It's as if some of you German supporters can not just leave well alone, you must jump onto this board to start a disagreement.

Pipiolo, Albiceleste2010 and afar repped this.
  14. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The meaning of the word irony is lost on you so it would seem. Go back to your section of the forum and don't bother us again with your trivial arguments.

Argie is a term coined in Britain in the tabloid media during the Falklands conflict and used with connotations that are sometimes unpleasant even now though it depends on the context. So go away.

This thread is a little like The Lives of Others with our conversations watched just in case we say something that might upset little Dage or his comrades.

Pipiolo repped this.
  15. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gomez ? :laugh: Not Lasogga then ? Tough. Every team loses players before tournaments. Strootman, Ribery, Falcao etc etc. Considering Aguero was not even fit, di Maria was out and Lavezzi had to be removed with an injury of course is irrelevant.

16. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I never watch any match we lose. As a matter of fact I cannot even watch any of the footage of that WC. But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. We will be back in 2018 to rectify matters.

Sandinista repped this.
  17. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly, every team has to deal with injuries, as I was explaining to @Rattlehead, who implied we had the advantage of a totally healthy and fit team compared to those we faced.

18. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A chance is a chance no matter where it comes from.....:rolleyes: As for Messi 99/100 he rolls that into the net. You're not some wonderteam like the Hungarians in 1954 or Brazil in 1970.

19. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What I have heard is that Argentina did not have a shot on goal......Ergo they deserved to lose.

Such statistics are meaningless. A side can have 80% possession as we did against Iran and not create anything useful with it or merely pass it side to side with no penetration.

A long range shot that dribbles tamely into the hands of a goalkeeper is counted as a shot on goal. A shot that narrowly misses while the keeper is stranded does not. What is more of a chance ?

Statistics are often misleading. The devil is in the detail as in the pass map when Bra7il lost showing most of their possession to be in their own third and plenty of failed long passes. The sole statistic that ultimately counts is the goals scored. We had 3 glorious opportunities and Messr's Higuain, Messi and Palacio failed to capitalize. I said before the match indeed every match. If chances present themselves they must be taken.

You cannot afford to miss such chances because the chances are the opposition will take one of theirs and we as a group of fans in their millions in Argentina and across the world are going to be going over that for years to come.

Pipiolo and Moishe repped this.
  20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No we aren't. We beat the Hungarians in 1954 remember? :D

21. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That miracle in Bern is less of a miracle when one looks at what happened in the game to the Hungarians.

22. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I see discussions not possible, too much butthurtness. See ya again in four years then (no friendlies dont count :) )

23. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually there isn't much butthurtness in the Argentina forums all things considered. We are more at issues as to who should or shouldn't shoulder blame and to what extent. You are seeing something that isn't there for whatever reason. If seeing you in four years means you won't be coming around these parts then cheers and take care.

Dage repped this.
  24. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It would be nice if you could pop up before discussions reached this level. bye

Moishe repped this.
  25. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You are right to a degree. I was scanning through while at work earlier and did in fact miss a lot of the discussions details. I do apologize for my response to you.

Good point here, there is absolutely no reason to start this kind of shit slinging. This particular forum has always been a pretty welcoming part of the site. That final loss really stings still and for some of us much more than others. Lets not digress as a forum especially when we've had worse exchanges with non-Germans. Play the ball not the man.