FIFA World Cup: Argentina v. Switzerland (Round of 16) - July 1, 2014

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Sagacious

Sagacious Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That true, almost all the big teams struggled to score this time.

2. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    He wont. Not in this WC and i hope he doesnt get called up for 2018. Absolutely worthless of a mindset and the weakest mental toughness ive seen from a player in a WC

Pipiolo repped this.
  3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

The problem the team isnt playing the way they used to in qualifier, where's our deadly counter atttack thruoghout the game? (not counting that winner off course). Where's the shortpassing move bteween our attacking line up? how many times our midfield was able to put our forward clear through the goal with a good pass? so far it has always been through the wing, Di Maria and Rojo's 1000 crossess. This is not what our strikers expected because that's simply not the way we played in qualifier!

4. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well I was gonna say "i'd hit" but I didnt wanna offend any posters, incase it was someone's sister on here. But since you said it looks like Di Maria with a wig on lets just forget that I ever said this :barefoot:

5. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    He is just not cut out to be the opportunistic goal poaching #9 that an aspiring World Cup team needs. He can do his stuff in a qualifier or a league game or a group game against a minnow. He just doesn't have the mental toughness to do it in a World Cup knockout game. It was obvious in the Germany 2006 game and today as well.

The sad thing is this was painfully obvious for a long time. It was discussed several times on this very forum. Our problem in 2002, and in 2011 Copa, and in several friendlies was that we didn't have a clinical #9 to finish off our brilliant tiki taka midfield. We haven't had one since Batigol and Crespo.

But Sabella made absolutely no attempt to discover a tall striker with heading skills. All through the qualifiers and friendlies, Sabella developed no plan B outside of the fab 4. Injuries and loss of form can happen to any team. A good coach develops a system and players who can plug and play in the system and overcome these misfortunes.

Sabella is not a good coach. He put all his eggs in one basket and now we are screwed. If teams bunker, we are out of ideas. Why are we surprised that our opponents bunker? Did we forget 2002?

When we are eliminated, we'll blame our opponent's tactics, luck, and everything else except our coach's lack of tactical foresight. And we'll continue to flatter to deceive.

Albiceleste2010 and Pipiolo repped this.
  6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, even with our current forwards problem, I still have a little bit of faith. Spain only scored through David Villa in 2010, literally. Iniesta and Puyol, both not a forwards, scored the winner in last 2 games. Italy won 2006 and their top goalscorer only hit 3 goals.

The biggest problem isnt the fact our forward has been in poor form right now but its the fact that the team seems to attack without any gameplan! well, if giving the ball to Di Maria and Messi all the time counts as a gameplan... expecting them to do the job everytime.

Christina99 repped this.
  7. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hey, I´d hit. It´s always someone´s sister, isn´t it? Or brother for those who are into it. :D

Jaweirdo repped this.
  8. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Quick player ratings:

Romero: 5, looked hesitant and umconfortable in a big game. Almost gave an equalizer by not commiting late.

Zabaleta: 6, nice tackling but nothing spectacular.
    Fernandez: 4, very soft and out of position
    Garay: 6, started slowly but gained confidence as the game went on
    Rojo: 7, Argies best defender well positioned and saved the team with some tackles
    Mascherano: 8, MVP of the night
    Gago: 4, terrible distribution, soft defending and out of position
    Di Maria: 6, nothing special but one touch changed everything
    Messi: 6, did as good as he can with 3-4 guys surronding him everytime he touches the ball
    Higuain: 4, three weeks into the tournament and he still doesnt look fit. I guess hes not even trying
    Lavezzi: 6, gave width and was trouble for the Swiss throughout but needs more time on the pitch
    Palacio: 5, not much and looked hesitant and caught in the moment
    Biglia: 6, provided much needed energy in midfield and ball movement
    Basanta: 6, some good tackles and smart fould at the end

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The biggest problem now is that Higuain replacement is the equally dull player.

10. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    C'mon @locoxriver, make the next thread for the quarterfinals, you've been good luck so far...

Albiceleste2010 and locoxriver repped this.
  11. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013

Give him 90 mins and youll be surprised how better than Higuain he can be

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sandinista repped this.
  13. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To me it's a very simple equation, either we improve or we go home. If we play like we did yesterday against Belgium they will beat us. The other striking thing about us is that we look so slow, honestly, we look like the slowest team at the world cup. Sabella can't keep picking the same team and hope for the best. Even the substitutions are the same in every game, and unlike for virtually every other side, they have no impact. Gago isn't good enough, he is to slow and offers nothing creatively, Banega would have been far better in that role. Higuain has been useless, it's as if as are playing with ten men.

We're still in the tournament, we still at least have a chance of finally getting beyond the quarter final stage but Sabella has got to get his act together. To me we look like a team that has no tactics, no game plan, no players that can come on and make a difference, it seems to be 'lets all trot round for 90 minutes and hope Messi wins us the game',

canis and jimmi_moh repped this.
  14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm too late to this thread to say anything that probably hasn't been said already multiple times.. But I must say: Grande MASCHERANO! Played like a beast today. Our midfield would be sooo shitty without him.

That is all.

canis repped this.
  15. Sagacious

Sagacious Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  16. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sagacious repped this.
  17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It should be noted that our goal against Switzerland came from one sweep counter attack, something we have done alot in last 3 years however, this happened because Switzerland finally decided to attack us thinking they could cost an upset, one interception in their own half and we did it in clinical fashion.

If this is the sign of us regaining that deadly counter attack form, then things could get better. The remaining problem would be if our opponent decided to sit back the entire game and just waiting to counter with 3 players, we havent find a way to beat this strategy. Most of our opponent in qualifier dont sit back like that, with very few exception.

18. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Thats what im trying to say, he doesnt make subs based on how the game is going but instead it seems like he has these 3 subs and will only make them no one else and no tactical substitution he seriously needs to get his act together. Brought in Biglia to close down and hope for PKs! Since when do Argentina hope for PKs againt Switzerland!

19. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Are @jimmi_moh @Leon12 and baker on the mundoalbiceleste side the same person?

20. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hey its me on mundo

21. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You are overlooking one major point about Spain in 2010, they had a rock solid defence which meant they could win games 1-0.

22. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's me as well, although I've never actually posted on there!!!

23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True but you probably also overlooking all the dangerous chances by their opponent which either miss and being saved by the Casillas. Even in that final, they have lucky escape in extra time.

Also didnt Spain beat Switzerland in 2010?

24. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Nope they lost to the Swiss i think. But hes right they had a better backline and a world class keeper

25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina