FIFA World Cup: Argentina v. Switzerland (Round of 16) - July 1, 2014

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 25, 2014.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Argentina vs Switzerland

Argentina [​IMG] Match 55 [​IMG] Switzerland
    1 July 2014
    13:00 UTC−3 ( 9:00 AM PST / 12:00 PM EST)

[​IMG]

Arena de São Paulo, São Paulo (62,601 Capacity)
    ----------------------------​

Head-to-Head Statistics:

- Matches Played: 6
    - 4 Argentina wins, 0 Switzerland wins, 2 draws
    - 14 goals for Argentina, 2 goals for Switzerland

Both teams have met once at the World Cup, in England '66. The group stage match -held on July 19, 1966- finished 2-0 in favor of Argentina, with goals by Luis Artime and Ermindo Angel Onega in the second half:

The most recent encounter between the two sides took place on February 29, 2012 in a friendly match held in Bern, Switzerland.

Argentina, already with Sabella at helm, used this formation:

Romero;
    Zabaleta - F. Fernandez - Garay - Campagnaro;
    M. Rodriguez - Brana - Mascherano - Sosa;
    Messi - Aguero​

The final result was 3-1 with Lionel Messi netting a hat trick for Argentina (2 golazos and 1 penalty kick), while Xherdan Shaqiri -who scored all 3 Swiss goals vs. Honduras in Group E- scored the only goal for Switzerland that day.

Albiceleste2010 and SupaMario repped this.
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Switzerland Stats

2014 World Cup
    2 wins, 1 loss, 0 draws --- 7 goals for, 6 against

2-1 win vs. Ecuador
    2-5 loss vs. France
    3-0 win vs. Honduras

2014 World Cup Qualification
    7 wins, 0 losses, 3 draws -- 17 goals for, 6 against

2012 UEFA Euro Cup
    Failed to qualify (finished 3rd in Group G Euro Cup qualification, behind England and Montenegro)

FIFA Ranking (for whatever it's worth): 6th

General World Cup Stats
    Total Number of Participations: 9
    Best Performance: Quarterfinals - 1934 (1 win, 1 loss), 1938 (1 win, 1 loss), 1954 (2 wins, 2 losses)

Match Wins: 11
    Match Losses: 9
    Match Draws: 8

3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They conceided 6 goals at group stage, certainly doesnt have best defensive unit out there.

4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    5 of which were vs. France. In the other two games combined, they only conceded 1. I wonder if they were just having a really bad off day vs. the French?

They certainly had a positive defensive record in WC Qualifiers - 6 goals received in 10 games, but that was vs. weaker opposition (Iceland, Slovenia, Norway, Albania, and Cyprus)

5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    and France couldnt score against Ecuador...

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ecuador without Chucho and Honduras are not exactly offensive powerhouses. I think the French exposed their defense, because their fullbacks like to attack and their central defenders didn't look good. (Wait a second, sounds like another team I know!)

locoxriver repped this.
  7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think the Swiss are going to sit back, defend, and counter. It is going to be a tricky game, and we need to be sharp. Today, there was so many lapses, I can not even count. Masche gave the ball away which almost led to the 3rd goal without a Zabaleta tackle. Fede letting the ball roll into dangerous area and not clearing it late in the game. Gago going too far ahead and losing the ball, which left us exposed to the counter. Fede with Garay, who basically headed the back to the Nigeria player in the box. Everybody needs to be sharp if we want to progress, I don't know if there are still nerves or what, but this is the 3rd game. We can not rely on Messi game in and game out. If it happens and we win fine, but there is no growth from that. Angelito was fine, had a lot of shots, Pipita a little sluggish, had a few chances, and gave a great ball to Angel. Pocho came on and was good. Kun, just needs to be a sub. He just isn't fit. Neither Pipita or Kun seem to be enjoying their time, but at least Pipita puts on an effort.

8. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't worry about Kun. Out for the rest of the WC...

9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No shocker, he hasn't been fit for forever. We won't miss him since he played like garbage.

10. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    he really needs some serious time off and rehab this summer

11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He rushed himself time in and time again. Could've coasted like Messi, but now he can sit on his ass in his prime and watch the World Cup as a spectator. Sabella needs to figure out if he is going to start Messi, Pipita with Di Maria and have to use Lavezzi as a sub. But now who does Lavezzi come in the game for? It was easy subbing Kun got Pocho.

locoxriver repped this.
  12. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think either Palacio or Lavezzi will be an improvement, i'm just not sure if Sabella will stick with the 4-3-3 though...

(although i think both of them contribute a lot more than Agüero when it comes to cover the right flank, which also helps Zabaleta who has been struggling without help, since you also can't count Gago in that regard...)

13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You know who would've been a good call up?:D

atomicbloke, Sandinista and locoxriver repped this.
  14. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    That is not good news. Can you please cite source. Thanks.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At one point it became almost a joke. What about that play where the ball was rolling in the penalty area and all our players were just watching it roll, and finally Zabaleta tried to nonchalantly play it out of the area and lost it. It was like they were daring Nigeria to score.

I hope our defensive players do some soul searching before the next match.

Rattlehead repped this.
  16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yea, Lavezzi is way better than Aguero as a winger forward and that's what we need against bunkering team. Most team will bunker against us anyway. That doesnt happen in CONMBEOL but at this stage, they will.

17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Zabaleta though, he's doing a double duty but Fede has been shockingly terrible and slow. Everytime opponent hit us on counter (in all 3 games), he's like someone driving in 2nd gear and his opponent is in 5th gear.

18. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Not having Aguero for the rest of the tournament, if true, is not good. You always want to have a world class player in your team ---- even if he is out of form. If he was/is injured, then definitely it hurts more than it helps. But if it is a minor injury that he can recover from, I'd much rather have Aguero on my team.

locoxriver repped this.
  19. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    One of the last chances Nigeria got was when they shot it and Garay deflected it with his body that hit the side of the net. The Nigerian player got open because he faked Rojo out of his shoes. He jumped in the air so high and looked so foolish, looked like a 7 year old hearing the news he is going go Disney World for his summer break(I used the Disney World as my sly way of mentioning Carlitos). But yeah I think going to go back and watch our defensive lapses and put on some circus music at the same time. Perfect mix.

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Having a world class Kun and having THIS Kun are 2 different things. The team played so much better without him.

Rattlehead repped this.
  21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Spain won WC with shitty Torres and Pedro. Only one of their forward score in that tournament and that was Villa. But Iniesta and Puyol scored their crucial goal in semi and final. Italy frontlines in 2006 werent much better than 2010 Spain. Their defenders scored the crucial goals in semi and final too (Grosso and Materazzi).

So it's not all about forwards.

22. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Completely agree that it is not just about the forwards. But Spain 2010 and Italy 2006 were much more balanced teams than Argentina currently. I was just saying that it is always better to have your best players available, if they are not injured.

Anyhow, I am praying that, God-willing, Messi leads us to World Cup victory this time.

23. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Yes, true --- and I don't think Aguero would have been a starter in the knockout games anyways. But having a healthy Kun as a sub is still better than him being out of the WC completely.

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #24 Rattlehead, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    As long Lavezzi and Palacio doesnt get injured, we can cope with his absent. If we go all the way, there's only 4 games left.

Rojo somehow played better than most people expected. Dont forget that he scored the winner against Nigeria and was indirectly scored our first goal against Bosnia. Nobody could see that coming. One of good thing about young player is that they dont play under preasure to deliver spectacular performance. Rojo is the youngest on the squad and he seems to show alot of determination.

25. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Guys for winning any tournament we just have to be better team than the opponent , For against nigeria we have to be better than nigeria , against germany we have to be better than germany. There is no point in scoring goal fest against nigeria and conceding ton from germany/bra.

One opponent at a time and improve the weakness and go on.

locoxriver repped this.