FIFA World Cup: Argentina v. Netherlands (Semifinals) - July 9, 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jul 5, 2014.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #1 locoxriver, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Argentina vs Netherlands

Argentina [​IMG] Match 62 [​IMG] Netherlands
    9 July 2014
    17:00 UTC−3 ( 1:00 PM PST / 4:00 PM EST)

[​IMG]

Arena de São Paulo, São Paulo (62,601 Capacity)

- Same stadium in which we defeated Switzerland in R16 -

[​IMG]

---------------------------------​

Unlike in any other point in the tournament so far, Argentina actually arrives to this match trailing in head-to-head statistics.

Head-to-Head Statistics:

- Matches Played: 8
    - 1 Argentina win, 4 Holland wins, 3 draws
    - 6 goals for Argentina, 13 goals for Holland

Argentina and Netherlands have met on four occasions in the past at the FIFA World Cup.

Of those 4 times, Argentina has only managed to win once. However, it was the most important of the four encounters, as the winner of that match would be keeping the World Cup trophy.

On June 25, 1978, in a packed Estadio Monumental in Buenos Aires, Argentina, la albiceleste took on Netherlands in the final of the '78 World Cup.

Full game highlights:

Argentina was playing a World Cup final for the second time in history and looking to win the tournament for the first time. Things seemed to be going well halfway in, as Argentina had found the lead on the 37th minute thanks to Mario Kempes, making the home crowd wild.

When everybody was preparing to celebrate, substitute Dick Nanninga equalized the match for Holland in the 82nd minute -- reviving World Cup hopes for the Dutch and sending the match to an extra time period of 30 minutes.

Fortunately, Argentina were able to recover from the late goal and take back the lead, first with another goal from Kempes (105') and then with a 115th goal by Daniel Bertoni.

Both of Kempes's goals that night:

The victory not only meant the first ever World Cup title for Argentina, but also a nice revenge against the Dutch, who had defeated (and virtually eliminated) Argentina from the 1974 World Cup four years earlier.

Led by the brilliant Johan Cruyff, Netherlands defeated Argentina by 4-0 in the Second Round of the cup. The defeat was a heavy blow for Argentina, who wouldn't make it past that stage, while the Dutch would go on to play (and lose) the final.

Another historic World Cup encounter featuring both teams took place in the 1998 World Cup in France.

Holland took an early lead in the 12th minute of the match thanks to Patrick Kluivert, although Argentina had a near-immediate response through Claudio Lopez's equalizer just 5 minutes later.

The match remained tied with only a few minutes remaining and appeared destined for extra time, until two dark moments in Argentina WC history occurred late in the game.

First -in the 87th minute- Argentine star Ariel Ortega received a red card for infamously headbutting Holland GK Edward Van der Sar

[​IMG]

Three minutes later, Dennis Bergkamp would score a late goal in stoppage time to dramatically send Argentina home and Netherlands to the semifinals (which they would eventually lose on penalties to Brazil).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZkCFoqSBs

2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    (continued from above post, due to media per post restrictions)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    The last and final time Argentina and Netherlands would meet at the FIFA World Cup would be on June 21, 2006 for the final match of Group C in the 2006 World Cup.

With both teams practically already qualified to the second round, Jose Pekerman -Argentine NT coach at the time- decided to field an alternative side, playing many starters but also resting some key players.

8 of the players featured in this match will be available to start on Wednesday's semifinal.

Lionel Messi -at the time only 18 years old- got his first and only start of the tournament, before being subbed out in the 70th minute. Maxi Rodriguez and Javier Mascherano are two other players from our current squad that also started that day, while Rodrigo Palacio saw the match from the bench.

On Netherlands' side, the only three current players that started that day were Dirk Kuyt, Wesley Sneijder, and Robin Van Persie, while Arjen Robben was an unused substitute.

The match itself wasn't anything spectacular and ended 0-0:

Outside of the World Cup, the two sides have met on 4 occasions, with Argentina failing to leave victorious in any of the games.

The four matches, all held on European soil, finished with the following results:

- May 26, 1974: Netherlands 4 - 1 Argentina
    - May 22, 1979: Netherlands 0 - 0 Argentina
    - March 3, 1999: Netherlands 1 - 1 Argentina
    - February 12, 2003: Netherlands 1 - 0 Argentina

As for non-FIFA matches, Argentina defeated Holland on August 16, 2008 in the most recent faceoff.

The match took place for the Quarterfinals of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing and had an Argentina that featured many of the current squad's players (Romero -sub, but actually came off the bench that game, Garay, Zabaleta, Gago, Mascherano, Di Maria, Messi, Aguero).

Lionel Messi opened the game early in the first half for Argentina with a 14th minute goal, although Otman Bakkal would tie it for Netherlands in the 36th minute.

The match would go on to a 30 minute period of extra time in which Argentina would find the lead in the 105th minute thanks to Di Maria -- a vital goal which allowed Argentina to progress to the next round and eventually take the gold.

-------------------------------------------------------​

Arrival to Quarterfinals
    Argentina (1st in Group F) - 5 wins, 0 losses, 0 draws - 8 goals for, 3 against
    2-1 W v. Bosnia
    1-0 W v. Iran
    3-2 W v. Nigeria
    1-0 (ET) W v. Switzerland (R16)
    1-0 W v. Belgium (QF)

Top Scorer: Messi (4 goals)

Holland(1st in Group B) - 4 wins, 0 losses, 1 draw - 12 goals for, 4 against
    5-1 W v. Spain
    3-2 W v. Australia
    2-0 W v. Chile
    2-1 W v. Mexico (R16)
    0-0 D v. Costa Rica (5-4 PK W) (QF)

Top Scorer: Arjen Robben and Robbie Van Persie (3 goals each)

-------------------------------​

Holland Statistics

2014 World Cup Qualification

9 wins, 0 losses, 1 draw -- 34 goals for, 5 against

- Best Record of All European teams in qualifying
    - Had top scorer of all the UEFA Qualifiers (Robin van Persie - 11 goals)
    - Second top "Goals For" record in UEFA qualifiers; Best "Goal Difference"

2012 UEFA Euro Cup
    0 wins, 3 losses, 0 draws -- 2 goals for, 5 against

- Eliminated in Group Stage (finished 3rd in Group A Euro Cup qualification, behind Germany and Turkey)
    - Finished 4th in Group B, behind Germany, Portugal, and Norway.

FIFA Ranking (for whatever it's worth): 15th

General World Cup Stats
    Total Number of Participations: 10
    Best Performance: Runner-ups (2nd place) - 1974, 1978 (lost to Argentina), and 2010

Match Wins: 26
    Match Losses: 11
    Match Draws: 10

cigar_city, RacingGirl, Moishe and 2 others repped this.
  3. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    We are now at that stage of the World Cup where legends are created, history is made, and magic moments happen that are remembered for a generation.

The biggest game in the country's history since Maradona cried in Rome.

All teams left alive are now indistinguishable in terms of talent. It all comes down to guts and steel from here on.

Time for the boys to show some garra and huevos.

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Regardless all other meetings betwen the two, this was the only that really matter.

[​IMG]

Chesco United and locoxriver repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Man.. what a feeling to know that we are just one step away from the FINAL of the World Cup.. :eek: (!!!) Time to step it up and break the curse.

Our to do list before the start of the competition in June:
    1) Messi to score in WC - DONE
    2) Get past quarterfinals - DONE

Now to do step 3. No need for me to say what it is!

6. Arg10

Arg10 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The fact that we are in the semi-finals is an accomplishment in and of itself. First time since 1990, incredible. I'm not saying I would be happy with us getting eliminated because I wouldn't, but damn it's a great feeling to even make the semi's. This team is growing and it shows. I love it.

Christina99 and locoxriver repped this.
  7. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    #7 atomicbloke, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    This is the game that will define this generation of players.

This is the first game of the World Cup where if we lose, it won't be considered an upset or failure. For the past 24 years, whenever we played a team stronger on paper, favored by pundits, and with historical pedigree, we lost.

The last time we upset a stronger team was the 1990 semi-final against hosts Italy in Naples. I will always remember that game. I am more proud of that game than the 1986 final and the 1978 final (I wasn't born then).

That game was true garra, Albiceleste style. Italy were the hosts, playing strong, hadn't conceded a single goal, while we had lost our opener, struggled with injuries and loss of form, finished 3rd in our group, outplayed by Brazil in R16 and needed a penalty shootout to subdue Yugoslavia. When local favorite Toto Schillaci put the hosts ahead, any other team would have folded. When we lost Giusti in extra time, every other team would have crumbled. But not that team.

One moment from that game will forever be etched in my memory.

In the penalty shootout, Italy were up 3-2. With the whole stadium, the city, the country, and seemingly the world against us, in walked Olarticoechea, all 5'5" of him, nonchalantly chewing bubble gum as if his dad owned the turf, and slotting his kick past Zenga with disdain as if he were a goalkeeping reject form a 3rd rate Buenos Aires villa team.

Never since have the Selecciones shown such guts of steel. Can they do it on Wednesday?

8. Arg10

Arg10 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In a way, I find this team has some of that garra that you're talking about. Playing on enemy territory, having their fans boo us every time we play, not exactly having the referee's favor us.

I haven't seen this much fighting spirit from our team since that 1990 World Cup. Call it Messi saving us, call it what you want, but scoring late goals (Iran and Switzerland) and being able to constantly win by 1 goal and not allowing the opposition to score. When was the last time we had a team like that?

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well in 1978 final, Holland scored equalizer late in the game and even hit post but the team shows winning mentallity in extra time. The same can be said in 1986 final when the German coming from behind by German scoring twice. Burrchaga then asked Diego "what should we do now?" Diego replied was simple " well, lets get another goal"
    3 mins later, we're victorious.

The 1990 Italy was all time best Italy. Schillaci, Baggio, Zenga, Maldini, Dona Doni, Mancini, Barresi ,etc etc. To beat them by coming from behind and showing balls of steel on the shootout, just amazing. Even though my fav moment from that WC would be...

FORZA NAPOLI <3 repped this.
  10. lyltln

lyltln New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Vamos vamos Argentina . no trouble now, 3rd time to keep the gold...... :)

11. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Dooood.....remmmorriiiiess..

12. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    These guys barely beat CR. Im sure Ricky Alvarez would do a fine job replacing Di Maria

13. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We barely beat Irán. Let's not underestimate any team.

Hopefully we'll play with the same garra and determination we played today. If we do, I like our chances.

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There are exceptions, but overall the Dutch posters (and fans) feel entitled to this air of AngloSaxon superiority and moral righteousness. Let's put three or four past these ugly muthas, show them ARGENTINA IS BETTER THAN THEY ARE!!!

[​IMG]

15. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    If we put up the same defensive performance we will win

16. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    we can't camp unless someone scores an early goal

17. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Biglia in, Gago out thats my only wish for now (not even off the bench)

18. Guevara

Guevara Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Aix-en-provence
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    How does that work?

Lots of teams barely beat/lost to Costa Rica. Dangerous to think that way, lest you lose to them and regret ever having made such remarks.

Very best of luck in this match. My name is an Argentine revolutionary for a reason. Love your country, but will be rooting for the Dutch in this one. Would be convinced to do otherwise should someone cut that horrific thing off of Palacio's head.

19. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    The thing is this Holland team is hungry after losing i 2010 and are in a very good position with experienced players who understand that.

However, their defense without De Jong is terrible and i understand we'll be missing Di Maria but i also know Ricky can provide a spark defensively and offensively since im an Inter fan and have watched him over the season. He had a down 2nd half because of Mazzari moving him to different positions almost every game abd disrupted him.

Its gonna be a good game but again defense and discpline will win. Holland create their passing opportunities from the left with Sneijder and Blind. They attack from the right wing with Robben. Lavezzi could have a busier time defending but they're not a hard team to break down. Defense is too slow and their midfield is nothing special.

Pipiolo repped this.
  20. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Guys With out dimaria the our counter attacking strngth will be 50% less . He is vital.
    I will go for maxi in his position

21. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    I just wish we had another creative force off the bench instead of Augusto. It just seems like he doesnt offer anything to the team idk why he picked him over much more effective talents in Europe like Cartabia, Pastore and Gaitan

22. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am not sure How ricky can replace dimaria in our current setup , he is best in no:10 role and he was not much success in playing in wings for inter.
    There are lot of work for sabella in coming days , strategies has to redefine in the absence of dimaria

23. Sagacious

Sagacious Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  24. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As you say this is the death or glory stage. These players have their chance to become footballing legends, for Messi to sit alongside the mythical figure that is Maradona. Let's hope they seize the moment, I still think there is a big performance in this team, we know we can play better, let's hope the semi final and final is where we show that.

locoxriver repped this.
  25. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013

Im actually worried no Aguer and no Di Maria whos gonna step up? Best backup is Ricky but im afraid Sabella goes with Perez playing RM out of position