FIFA World Cup '26: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jesta repped this.
  2. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    thanks for the link, this is the first time anyone mentioned there could be special visa regime for fans. of course that will heavily depend on who is in the white house from next year on, so I guess we won’t hear any official word about that any time soon

3. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were to guess what will happen if anything. Brazil/Argentina/Uruguay added to VWP for WC. Africa/Asia/South America countries that qualify and not apart of VWP will get a special tourist visa... probably called B1F that will have a much lower wait time but only be a 3 month tourist visa specifically for the WC.

ValenAle. repped this.
  4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a sensible thing to do. Regular tourist visas usually are valid for 10 years and allow for 180 day visits. Lots of World Cup visitors don't want or need that. A one-time-only 90-day visa with its own application queue would help a lot. Whether they will do the sensible thing is something I can't comment on.

ValenAle. repped this.
  5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That would make a lot of sense.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  6. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    I wouldn't expect FIFA to be part of anything that makes sense

ValenAle. repped this.
  7. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Literally has nothing to do with FIFA. Any decision on a new Visa category comes from the State Department (who authorize and distribute VISAs) and The Department of Homeland Security (who admit individuals based on the Visa).

With every other Non-Immigrant Visa, the State Department weighs the chance of an overstay, which is what it cares about.

If they do create a new Visa for the WC, my guess would be that booked hotels and return flights as well as proof of game tickets would be requirements.

Again, this is what I do, if anyone has Visa/immigration questions, feel free to message me.

ValenAle. repped this.
  8. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Has the State Department added any countries to its Visa Waiver Program on a temporary basis?

Since both ARG+URU were kicked out of VWP at the height of their 2002 recessions, why would they be given a fast visa under ARG's current economic turmoil?

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there's a World Cup and the state department wants to ensure the US is a good host.

Spending $thousands on World Cup travel and tickets in advance is probably a good indicator that you're not an economic refugee.

ValenAle. repped this.
  10. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i believe the addition of them back would be just for the WC.

11. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    How do you think both ARG+URU got kicked out of Visa Waiver Program in 2002? VWP became an open door for immigrants fleeing from a strong recession, so the door was closed.

12. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Knowing how bilateral diplomatic agreements must be signed and requirements must be met to enter VWP, a temporary membership would contradict the essence of the program.

A proper solution would be your other suggestion: creation of a new visitor visa. Their nationals do not get automatic VWP benefits, and WC tourists would need to show proof.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does that have to do with the 2026 World Cup?

14. ValenAle.

ValenAle. Member

Port Vale
    Scotland
    May 31, 2021
    Interesting debate?

They are going to need to do something, and whilst it’s not an issue for me personally, the frustrating thing for many must be at this stage for both Russia and Qatar the process in principal was established, but for 2026 there is nothing, no clarity, no info, nothing!

I can’t see it being sorted until after the new administration, whoever that is, arrives next January as it stands?

15. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    completely agree. add total lack of information over the years (first 4 years it was total silence) and you get another proof this world cup was nothing but another awful decission by FIFA, and looking into the future, it will only get worse!

p.s. about need to do something, I do not expect anything more than expedited visa process for ticket holders

16. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    this table shows the allocation of 3rd placed teams in World Cup 1994.
    It holds 15 possible combinations with 6 groups and 4 teams advancing

For 2026, this table has 495 possible combinations, which exactly means 33 times more than in 1994.

I am curious to see, how this is printed in the magazines :)

A closer look to the updated 2026 schedule also leaves another question mark.
    On the last group matchday (Saturday June 27) the 3 gropus JKL are playing the final matches.

only 2 days later on Monday, June 29( the Mach#74, the 2nd round-of-32 match in Boston will be played between Winner E and 3rd of A, B, C, D or F.

But if the outcome of JKL matches on June 27 reshuffle the allocation of spots a 3rd placed team from ABCDF might only at the end of June 27 know that it has to travel to Boston and play within 2 days.

upload_2024-6-22_14-33-12.png

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I guess that is incentive to not get third place in a Group isn't it?

Paul Calixte repped this.
  18. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If you qualify in 3rd then you should get a tough draw in terms of team you play, rest period and travel.

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Am not familiar with Philly. Is this a good, easy to access, central location?

It says "diverse beverage offerings". I am highly skeptical about that. :unsure: To date, FIFA fan fests offered the complete opposite of diverse beverage choices, but let's see if that will change.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just behind the art museum.

BocaFan repped this.
  22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    It's central, but not the central spot, which will likely be allocated that summer to the US independence anniversary celebrations.

As long as the city runs sufficient buses, then it's decent enough.

23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    To FIFA diverse means one brand of beer, one brand of soft drink etc. Only the sponsors get a gig with FIFA.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bud, Bud Light, Bud Extra, Bud Lager, Bud Premium Extra, Bud Bud Bud Bud Spam Eggs and Bud.

25. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    as FIFA has concretized the schedule, i was trying to elaborate the kick off times, as they are not yet given. It seems the sequence of matches on a day is preset by the match number, however i assume there might be alternations if tv broadcasting demands it.

As for the matchdays with 4 matches, i assume there is an interval of 3 hours between the kick off and i guessed that the eariest matches will kick off at 12 local time, which is 18 CEST (as it was in 1994).

It seems that Mexico gets mainly the late kick off times, propably due to the heat expected.
    Also Miami gets early kick off times, propably also to avoid the afternoon and evening heat in florida.

upload_2024-6-25_16-17-46.png

Attached Files:

elzurdito10, ANT_ and Viking lord repped this.