FIFA World Cup '26: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 27, 2018.

1. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams that finish 1st or 2nd in their group and make the knockout can't meet until the final.
    Top half bracket is Group winners from D,E,F,G,H,I. Bottom half is Group winners A,B,C,J,K,L.

Every team gets between 3 and 5 days between Round of 32 match and Round of 16 and never more than 1 over their opponent. Also at least 3 days between Group Stage and Round of 32.

joebarnin, Paul Calixte and Viking lord repped this.
  2. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some thoughts on Group Stage matches...
    Group A: I didn't think they would but they did. Mexico's third opponent has to travel from Mexico to Atlanta and then back to Mexico. Mexico's second opponent will not have a game in the US/Canada until knockouts, the only team to have that.
    Group B: Canada's opener opponent will win the travel award for most miles but they get to be in a group with Canada, so they will probably be ok with it.
    Group C: All East Coast, with first 4 in the Northeast and final 2 in the Southeast.
    Group D: First match not involving USA is in Canada but one team goes to Seattle and the other to LA, all West Coast and overall not bad.
    Group E: Mostly Northeast with 1 match each in KC and HOU, overall not bad but not the best.
    Group F: All Central and pretty compact but someone is making a US>MEX>US trek.
    Group G: All West Coast, very compact.
    Group H: First 4 matches in the Southeast and then last 2 in HOU/GDL. Pretty good.
    Group I: All Northeast, probably the most compact of all groups for travel.
    Group J: Central group with a few SF games. Someone has to do a KC>SF>KC/DAL trek which isn't great but not the worst.
    Group K: Central for first 4 games and than the Southeast cities for last 2. Not bad but someone has to do US>MEX>US which will be annoying.
    Group L: All Northeast, also super compact.

I counted 7 teams that will have to travel what may be described as 'excessive', Canada's is self imposed so really it is 6. FIFA could make it nicer and lower it to 5 but wanted to make Mexico's life slightly easier.

3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic to see FIFA didn't get any ideas from this year's Copa América format :cautious:

elzurdito10 and jagum repped this.
  4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    FIFA released an initial list of 24 possible training camp and hotel locations for the World Cup.

Near World Cup host cities:
    Atlanta - Atlanta United Training Centre - JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
    Atlanta - Kennesaw State University - InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta
    Chattanooga - Baylor School - The Read House
    Dallas - Dallas Baptist University - Westin Dallas Downtown
    Dallas - FC Dallas - Renaissance Dallas at Plano Legacy West
    Dallas - University of Dallas - Omni Las Colinas Hotel
    Fort Worth - Texas Christian University - Sheraton Fort Worth Downtown Hotel
    Guadalajara - Chivas Verde Valle - Hard Rock Hotel Guadalajara
    Kansas City - Kansas City Current - Hotel Kansas City – The Unbound Collection by Hyatt
    Kansas City - Sporting Kansas City - Sheraton Overland Park Hotel at the Convention Center
    Kansas City - University of Kansas - Stonehill Lawrence, Trademark Collection by Wyndham
    Los Angeles - Great Park Sports Complex - Marriott Irvine Spectrum
    Mexico City - Centro de Alto Rendimiento (CAR) - On-site accommodation (CAR)
    Mexico City - La Nueva Casa del Futbol - Toluca - DoubleTree by Hilton Toluca
    Monterrey - Rayados Training Centre - The Westin Monterrey Valle
    Philadelphia - Philadelphia Union - Hotel Du Pont
    San Antonio - San Antonio Stadium - Kimpton Santo Hotel

Away from World Cup host cities:
    Cincinnati - FC Cincinnati - TBD
    Green Bay, WI - Lambeau Field - Lodge Kohler
    Indianapolis - Grand Park Sports Campus - Renaissance Indianapolis North Hotel
    Louisville - Louisville City FC - Omni Louisville Hotel
    St. Louis - Saint Louis University - Magnolia Hotel St. Louis
    Salt Lake City - Real Salt Lake - RSL Training Academy Residence
    Salt Lake City - University of Utah - Hyatt Regency Salt Lake City

https://www.fifa.com/en/tournaments...a2026/articles/base-camps-potential-locations

It's tough for me to see teams picking training camp locations in the Midwest like Cincinnati, Green Bay, Indianapolis, or Louisville unless accommodations are cheaper and they have a lot of matches in the Northeast or Toronto.

Salt Lake City (or Denver) could be useful for teams with an early match at altitude in Mexico, but not multiple matches in Mexico.

5. joebarnin

joebarnin Member

May 3, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Doesn't look like they released the details of which combinations of 3rd place teams are assigned to which Round of 32 matches. For example, this table from the 2019 Women's World Cup. They have released the possible matchups (e.g, 1E vs 3A/B/C/D/F), but not the actual table that defines all of the possibilities.

Interestingly, the number of possible opponents for 3rd place qualifiers varies a lot. The 3rd place teams in groups E and I have six possible opponents in the Round of 32, depending on which other 3rd place teams qualify for the knockouts. On the other hand, the 3rd place teams in groups K and L are locked in: if they make the knockouts, they will play the winners of groups L and K, respectively. Many other 3rd place teams have only two possible Round of 32 opponents.

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The key factor is likely the timing of the group stage matches. Groups A, B, and C finish on June 24. D, E, and F on June 25. G, H, and I on June 26. J, K, and L finish on June 27.

FIFA appears to be spacing everything out so that a Round of 32 match is at least 4 days after the last group match for every team that advances.

joebarnin repped this.
  7. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014

as I wrote above, with FIFA any logic stops. I find your game deployment much better and you definitely got some things right!

this way there will be much more traveling for everyone, winner of group "I" will probably have it best, also mexico if they win their group and few teams will travel back and fort ... FIFA, as it always was! this could have been done better.

8. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    btw, for me the biggest surprise is 6 groups in two canadian cities, actually huge nonsense!

9. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, Toronto is basically lumped with the Northeast USA cities when it comes to groups. It is an under 2 hour flight, Miami to Atlanta is longer.

Also when you fly from Canada to USA, you clear Customs/Immigration for the USA in Canada. So when you land, you land domestically. It makes life 1000x easier. I would rather do a Canada to USA flight than a SF to Atlanta (which thankfully never happens).

I don't think I could have made the schedule that much better given the requirements. When they needed to mix Central stadiums with East, they always chose Atlanta/Miami which was the right move. Someone in Group E has a Houston to Toronto Flight which at 3.5 hour is probably the longest single flight by anyone except Canada's first opponent who will have a 5.5 hour flight.

The only dumb move was the Atlanta game for Group A.

10. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    also the base camps in chattanooga, louisville and especially green bay and salt lake city …. they can’t be serious about that:eek:

and about six groups in canada … yes, it doesn’t matter for most of us, but for people needing visas for both countries it certainly does. IMHO this schedule is nothing but really poor job, whoever made it!

bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  11. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are from the following countries:
    • Antigua and Barbuda
    • Argentina
    • Brazil
    • Costa Rica
    • Mexico
    • Morocco
    • Panama
    • Philippines
    • St. Kitts and Nevis
    • St. Lucia
    • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    • Seychelles
    • Thailand
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • Uruguay
    With a US visa, you won't need to get one for Canada. They basically allow the US visa to count.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Canadian ESTA equivalent costs $7. All you need is a valid passport and Internet access.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  13. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Don't forget to add 185 USD for the required US visitor visa:
    - ARG+BRA+CRC+MAR+PAN+TRI+URU fans must have that US visa to be eligible for a CAN eTA visa: 185 USD + 7 CAD (5.10 USD)

CAF fans (excluding MAR) will be less fortunate: must get 2 regular visitor visas to attend matches in both CAN and USA: 185 USD + 100 CAD (72.87 USD)

14. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    True. Some fans will be looking at extra visa requirements/costs so they can follow their team.

CAN better win Group B to justify its Vancouver runway into R16.

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're paying several thousand dollars to follow your team at the World Cup you can afford an extra few bucks to cross a border.

majspike repped this.
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's probably because the table would be 495 rows long.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They won't, but who cares? Vancouver is a beautiful city. "Oh shit! We have to go to Vancouver instead of Kansas City" said nobody ever.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    3 groups per host city seems about normal.

They prioritized travel time over border crossings.

19. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    in mexico there are four groups in three stadiums, and no, I do not see travel time as something they really cared about

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The 3 Mexico venues are much closer together than Toronto and Vancouver, so you're comparing apples with kangaroos. If you're prioritizing travel time it simply makes more sense pairing Vancouver with cities like Seattle and LA, than pairing VCR with Toronto.

But the downside of that, of course, is more border crossings. Then again, its not like you're crossing into Russia or North Korea so I can see why they prioritized travel time over # of border crossings.

HomietheClown repped this.
  21. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    they certainly did that, but not as near as they could. for an example, there was absolutely no reason to put some groups into 5 venues. also sending at least 12 teams (possibly 14) to mexico wasn't necessary either. viewing all this from travel perspective, of course! true football fan will always prefer going to mexico.

22. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    yes, many of those countries have great chances to qualify :D

basically I was thinking about majortiy of 9(+1) teams from africa and 8(+1) asian teams. add few more from the rest of the world any you 're going to have quite a few teams affected

we can discuss this over and over, I just wanted to say FIFA doesn't really care!

bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, its not absolutely necessary. You can play an entire group in just New York and Philly and the players wouldn't even need to get in an airplane. But I guess one benefit of limiting travel but not reducing it as much as possible is to have a variety of teams playing in any particular venue.

Back in the 2018 Russia WC, I think all groups had 6 different venues.

24. joebarnin

joebarnin Member

May 3, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    True. But they need to publish it at some point…

Paul Calixte repped this.
  25. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    It is a bigger issue than throwing a few bucks around, since a large percentage of WC fans are ineligible for fast visas.

CAF is on that boat: fans of 8+1 WC representatives must obtain two full visitor visas.

Visa processing times are no joke. NGA fans have average wait times of: 435 days for a US visa interview, 174 days for a CAN visa appointment (excludes CAN biometrics collection period).

So, NGA fans must apply for both visas before the FIFA fixture draw happens, without knowing if NGA will set foot in CAN: 6 of 12 groups are on CAN venue paths, out of a pool of 9 possible groups.

This means clogging up CAN visa appointment queues with unnecessary requests. Free money for the CAN gov't, but detrimental for visa turnaround times.

Perhaps there are better visa processing scenarios for other CAF fans, but I mentioned NGA fans given their visitor numbers on previous WC editions.

Maybe @vancity eagle has a better perspective on whether it is a big issue for fans traveling from CAF countries.