FIFA World Cup '26: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 27, 2018.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Second place is probably the best Nigeria can hope for now. And that at best* sends them to the playoffs where there will be about 4 elimination rounds to survive through to qualify!

[* if they can be one of the top second-place teams]

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might there be a forum/thread for AFCON? :inlove:

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    ^ I can't believe they aren't playing these matches at the same time, given that they impact each other so much. :confused:

Anyway, Korea finally scored to take a 1-0 lead. Thailand and Singapore are just kicking off.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    China 'only' lose 1-0 with 20% possession. I guess that's what they were playing for.

So, Thailand need to beat Singapore by 3 goals (or by two goals if its a really high-scoring match like 4-2). So far its one-way traffic, but just 1-0 Thailand at halftime.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Thailand win 3-1 but not quite enough. China advances on. Thailand ruined an otherwise good qualifying campaign by not finishing some big chances.

6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rough on Thailand... but as has been pointed out on Twitter, these games really should've been simultaneous to begin with.

Meanwhile, South Africa/Zimbabwe was a hell of a game! If you forgive all the missed chances :ROFLMAO:

7. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    We didn't renew the contract of our coach after the afcon. He wasn't the greatest but he figured out a way to have us playing very efficient football. Some critics were angry even with our silver medal claiming the play was "too defensive" and "not Nigerian enough"

So our corrupt federation hired a local coach (this has always been a fierce debate local vs foreign coach) to "save money"

This local coach is utterly clueless and has basically just destroyed everything the previous coaching administration built. His strategy, lineups, substitutions are all whack.He and the federation are more interested in marketing certain players to foreign clubs than calling up the best players.

It's a total mess.

HomietheClown and Paul Calixte repped this.
  8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, the déjà vu you just provoked...

Haiti won the 2006 Caribbean Cup, only for our Federation to turn around, fire the coach who oversaw the feat and hand a former NT player his first-ever managerial job. We pushed up daisies real quick in WCQ afterwards :mad:

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nigeria was so entertaining back in '94. Would be a shame if they did not make it back to North America.

BocaFan repped this.
  10. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

Things will get interesting in AFC with Saudi Arabia in pot 3

11. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Yup our current coach is a former NT player as well. I dont know why Football federations are so stuck on the idea of former players coaching national teams with little to no experience.

It's like they just think it will magically translate into success and frankly more often than not it is a failure.

Our coach was hired

1. Because the federation could "save money" in other words loot funds.
    2. Because many wanted a local coach
    3. Because he was a superstar player

No consideration was actually taken into his coaching ability or credentials.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is his name Gregg?

13. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Yes from the little I've followed many of you guys hate Greg and think he is clueless. Seems much of the same dynamic of the Nigerian situation, of an ex player turned clueless coach to satisfy the need of those wanting a local coach rather than foreign.

I do think though you are being a bit harsh on Berhalter though, as clueless as you may think he is he has had certain levels of success like dominating Concacaf Nations League and a 2nd round WC showing with basically a young team who have never had any WC experience.

Berhalter may not be your ideal coach, but he has still decent achievements.

r0adrunner repped this.
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was being a little bit sarcastic. It's a disease y'know?

vancity eagle repped this.
  15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the crowd was spectacular...

From the comments, it looks like Bafana Bafana don't typically get that kind of fervent home support.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True. The good news with all these tight CAF qualifying groups is that its likely to lead to a big/good team finishing second and going to the playoffs. Perhaps 2 or 3 good teams. Which will give CAF an excellent chance to win the inter-continental playoff. And I'd rather a CAF team get that extra spot than AFC or CONCACAF, for the reason you highlighted above (good depth in CAF).

17. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, AFC qualifying is still so forgiving with 8 slots that I don't think any of the big boys are in any danger.

Even if you have KSA, JPN and AUS in a group, I don't think any would be in any danger to drop all the way to 5th and miss the next round. And in Round 4, they would be placed with lesser teams with ANOTHER chance of direct qualification. And even if they fail that, they have the playoff where they would surely be seeded.

18. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I dont think you need a "good" CAF team to win the intercontinental playoff.

I think even the average ones would be favored. Certainly against AFC or Concacaf.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Sure, but the format (single-game elimination) increases the randomness of things, especially if you have to get through 2 elimination playoff games. In practice, the two favorites will be the CONMEBOL team plus the one with the highest FIFA ranking among the other 5.

20. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Seems to suggest that Mexico and Canada are in the same part of the bracket. i.e. if they both finish 2nd, they play each other in the R32. (Also, Canada and the US could meet each other as early as the QF)

Viking lord and Paul Calixte repped this.
  22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Importantly, this also confirms that we will not have a split tournament, in re: the permutations for the potential third-placers. I haven't gone through and confirmed that this applies to the entire knockout-round bracket; let me peek at some fellow nerd's work over on Wiki :D

BocaFan and Viking lord repped this.
  23. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    It's not for the fact that one of the big boys will be in "danger" but that it will mean an easier path for other potential new / returning teams.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I mean the entire bracket must be already known if the potential paths of the 3 hosts are known.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea on when the first window to buy tickets will open up?