FIFA World Cup '26: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. jcsc

jcsc Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Morita player of my team Sporting CP
    upload_2024-6-6_14-54-26.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    China in real danger now of being eliminated from WC qualifying without even getting to the last round. A loss to ROK on the final matchday, combined with a Thailand victory over Singapore and China would be out if Thailand can also gain a net +4 in goal differential. That's 3 "if"s but they are pretty small ifs, IMO, especially as Thailand will be at home and China will be playing in Korea.

4. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Already Algeria and Mali with massive screw ups in african qualification lol.

Senegal dropped points again.

Meanwhile Egypt has a foot in North America after beating Burkina.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just had to mention Puerto Rico got a historic point in El Salvador last night in Qualifying.
    (Lot's of people do not know this but I am part Puerto Rican so I had to give a shout-out to los Boricuas for such a good result.)

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor old Mali. They have nothing except soccer.

7. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    They were the better side for a good portion of the match, but Ghana who are once again under coach Otto Addo played well and I predict will be on the rise again.

Mali just need to take care of other teams and they still have a good chance at at least a playoff spot.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at it purely politically, Ghana is a bigger (population wise), denser, wealthier, better educated country than Mali, which is why I balked at "haha Mali".

But I am almost old enough to remember when Ghana was part of the good old Empire.

9. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They also could only draw at home to Central African Republic though last November and some of the problems they had in that game appeared against Ghana too. They don't create enough good scoring chances.

Nigeria 1-1 South Africa was an exciting game with plenty of chances and which either team could have won. South Africa were better in the first half and Nigeria - which should have had a penalty-kick after a blatant foul in the penalty area - were better in the second.

Either team could win the group.

vancity eagle repped this.
  10. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, that result took me by suprise.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Jamaica barely getting by the Dominican Republic is also a bit surprising.

People around here seem to think the Reggae Boys are going to breeze into the World Cup but as I have alluded to in previous posts it may not be as easy as they think.

12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, looks like my excitement for AFC matches on FIFA Plus was premature :oops: Anyone knows who stepped in to pick up the broadcasting rights?

Felicidades! And as several have pointed out over on Twitter, El Salvador are now on a winless streak stretching back nearly two years :eek:. All of a sudden, they find themselves in a dogfight to even survive this round...

They'll be fine for now... mainly because they've got a whole year to kiss and make up with Leon Bailey before we get into crunch time in WCQ.

13. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I keep wanting to not fully rate South Africa.

Probably due to a lack of Euro based stars that the tip teams in Africa have, but their results can no longer be ignored.

They beat Morocco twice

One in an afcon qualifier where Morocco had already qualified, but then of course knocking them out of the last afcon.

Twice they have drawn against Nigeria. This recent away draw and at the last afcon.

They drew away against CIV in a friendly before the last afcon and they drew away against Algeria in a friendly last window.

They are quietly a very efficient and good team.

HomietheClown repped this.
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was was impressed with them the last AFCON and for most of the match yesterday.
    They would be a very entertaining team to watch in the USA/Can/Mex if the qualify.

15. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    Gabon expected to play an Ivorian 4-3-3. Instead they played against a 3-5-2 system in Korhogo.
    Côte d'Ivoire won its thrid match like Egypt and Tunisia.

16. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    Mali may have great talents, but they lack a fighting spirit to win matches against teams like Côte d'Ivoire and Ghana.

17. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Mali was actually the only team to outplay CIV at the last afcon.

Nigeria didn't in 2 matches

Senegal didn't.

Even Equatorial Guineas 4-0 win , they weren't really the better side funny enough.

But Mali made CIV look very ordinary in that match.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    In CAF, there is a 5-way tie for first place in Group G as I type this. :eek: :geek:

These groups are proving to be quite interesting.

HomietheClown repped this.
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Part of the reason I like World Cup expansion. The level of African teams are really not far off from each other and should provide some entertaining matches in '26.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to OFC, AFC and C'CAF. There is a sharp drop-off in qualify beyond the top X in those regions, where X is the number of WC spots they had in the 32-team format.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    IF OFC gets a second team in it would be a miracle.
    AFC has teams that are kinda all the same in their second tier but are pretty dreadful.
    CONCACAF may bring extra fans to this tournament but yes the next World Cup would probably not benefit much.
    But we have seen crappy teams surprise us before. Remember T&T drawing Sweden or North Korea only losing 2-1 to Brasil?
    Those kind of results are great memories.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes, T&T were well organized and competed well in the 2006 World Cup. Will have to agree to disagree on that North Korea team. They kind of ruined that World Cup group, which had the potential to be interesting if a team that was at least somewhat competitive had been drawn in with CIV, BRA and POR.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You are right in the grad scheme of things for that Group.
    I just like the fact the were competitive against Brasil when no one thought they would be.

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roger Allaway and HomietheClown repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In the small stretches I saw last match against South Africa... ... Nigeria just looked like a bunch of skinny forwards trying to score. Not much cohesion or midfield which looked better from South Africa.

Not sure about this Benin match though but man that is a crazy result.