FIFA World Cup '26: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    here my guesses

Thursday, 11 June 2026
    Match 1 (Mexico #1) – Estadio Azteca Mexico City - 2pm
    Match 2 – Estadio Guadalajara - 5pm

Friday, 12 June 2026 Match 3 (Canada #1) – Toronto Stadium Match 4 (USA #1) – Los Angeles Stadium

Saturday, 13 June 2026 Match 5 – Boston Stadium Match 6 – BC Place Vancouver Match 7 – New York New Jersey Stadium Match 8 – San Francisco Bay Area Stadium

Sunday, 14 June 2026 Match 9 – Philadelphia Stadium Match 10 – Houston Stadium Match 11 – Dallas Stadium Match 12 – Estadio Monterrey

[​IMG]
    Monday, 15 June 2026 Match 13 – Miami Stadium Match 14 – Atlanta Stadium Match 15 – Los Angeles Stadium Match 16 – Seattle Stadium

Tuesday, 16 June 2026 Match 17 – New York New Jersey Stadium Match 18 – Boston Stadium Match 19 – Kansas City Stadium Match 20 – San Francisco Bay Area Stadium

Wednesday, 17 June 2026 Match 21 – Toronto Stadium Match 22 – Dallas Stadium Match 23 – Houston Stadium Match 24 – Estadio Azteca Mexico City

FIFA World Cup 26™ Host Cities
    Check out the 16 cities that will play host to FIFA World Cup 26™.

Thursday, 18 June 2026 Match 25 – Atlanta Stadium Match 26 – Los Angeles Stadium Match 27 (Canada #2) – BC Place Vancouver Match 28 (Mexico #2) – Estadio Guadalajara

Friday, 19 June 2026 Match 29 – Philadelphia Stadium Match 30 – Boston Stadium Match 31 – San Francisco Bay Area Stadium Match 32 (USA #2) – Seattle Stadium

Saturday, 20 June 2026 Match 33 – Toronto Stadium Match 34 – Kansas City Stadium Match 35 – Houston Stadium Match 36 – Estadio Monterrey

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even 9 pm should be a possibility for Miami. Any of those dates could have Atlanta at noon, Miami at 9 pm, and the other two sandwiched in between. I think they should try for 6 or 9 pm for Miami, but if there's a match with a top European team, FIFA will be tempted to play it earlier.

soccer_23 repped this.
  3. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Here is my best guess on how they might allocate matches, groups and kick-off times.
    The 2nd and 3rd columns of each group hold the kick-off-time, local and CEST respectively.

Apparently, the match schedule designers cannot keep up with assigning groups strictly to the 3 regions. This becomes obvious especially around June 20 on which 3 matches (not 4) are staged in the central region in Kansas City, Houston and Monterrey.

There are no matches in that region on the day before and the day after, which means, that if we have 2 groups with 4 matches on that 2nd matchday designated for central region groups - with strict group assignments - two teams of that 2 groups would have to play 2 days before their other group competitors or 2 days after.

I cannot see that happen as in my schedule all of the matches in a group are played on the same day except a special solution for USA and CAN to start on the 2nd matchday both.

In my schedule I have 7 cases, where this strict regional allocation rule is broken. One is already obvious with CAN playing both in Toronto and Vancouver. The other 6 I foresee have a little travelling impact except Group K, where San Francisco comes in place as an odd venue, but i absolutely see no other way tailoring it.

Of course, kick off times are best guessing and will even be adapted after the draw to accommodate the time zones of participating teams.

Yet I wonder if the matches on the last matchday will start as I predicted at 7pm, 10pm and 1 am.

upload_2024-2-9_23-2-33.png

Attached Files:

ANT_, Viking lord and marianelah repped this.
  4. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    So, broadcasters in WC participant countries paid much less for TV rights than one serving a region without WC representation:
    - SBS in South Korea: ~30M USD
    - RTVE in Spain: ~34M USD
    - Viacom18 in South Asia: ~54M USD

And the one that overpaid is an *unimportant market for FIFA*?

And I say overpaid because, according to your stats, ~110M Viacom18 viewers (not 25% of the world's population) watched a tournament despite lacking WC representatives.

I doubt FIFA considers that region to be an unimportant market for WC broadcasting rights.

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The AIFF must be a tire fire, 'cause you know FIFA's itching to give them a major tournament asap and really start to exploit that market.

6. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    @Paul Calixte , their have strength in numbers for TV rights.

Not sure whether that region can sustain large purchase of expensive WC tickets, though. Resale for-profit might be a larger problem then.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    To put it in perspective, there will be more games in the group phase of WC26 than the entire 32 team format WC. And obviously, we now have a group phase that weeds the field down to 32 for the KO round ... which was number of total teams in the old format.

marianelah repped this.
  8. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point … This is wild… almost like 3 pre world cups before the real 32 team knockout. I see why they may start selling tickets soon.

9. JuliusSeizure

JuliusSeizure New Member

Alianza Lima
    Peru
    Feb 7, 2024
    I thought I read somewhere it might possibly be next March (first phase). This will hopefully be my first World Cup I go to.

10. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, in 1994 the QF in NY/NJ started at 12pm ET (the semifinal and R16 games at 4pm), so 12pm would be optimal both there and globally.

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is still my default position... but the group stages of the Asian Cup & AFCON these last few weeks were far more entertaining than I expected, so there's hope.

r0adrunner repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, maybe. I still haven't seen any indication that they plan to sell tickets soon but when you consider the size of the stadiums and that there will be a lot of minnows involved (or at least national teams we don't usually associate with being good enough to reach the World Cup stage), there would seem to be a strong incentive to sell as many tickets as possible before the group stage draw. Once we know the teams involved, I reckon some of the fixtures will be a tougher sell than people think, especially at sky high prices.

jesta, r0adrunner and marianelah repped this.
  13. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    I saw on Twitter some users having doubts about the USA hosting the World Cup because of shootings.
    Do you think security will make supporters avoid US cities ?

14. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2689 marianelah, Feb 14, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    Since when does a multi Billion dollar Swiss company care about human death? Come on man... 330 Million in US; 130 Million in Mexico... Please let the rest of the world avoid. please! more tickets for us in North America.

BocaFan and HomietheClown repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to be following a World Cup tradition.

Firearm-related homicides per 100,000 population per year.

Brazil 22.91
    Mexico 16.50
    South Africa 12.92
    USA 4.46

Marius Tresor and HomietheClown repped this.
  16. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    It is a fair concern to have, considering the experience of people in other countries.

I trust that 2026 WC organizers will choose to be on the safe side, like Cote d'Ivoire gov't officials did during 2024 AFCON: deploy lots of security personnel.

After all, prior AFCON editions suffered terrorist attacks, resulting in deaths of players and team staff members. Add insurgents threatening northern Ivorian cities, and you see why 20K security personnel were deployed for 2024 AFCON.

Additionally, with a bit of luck, 2026 WC organizers will able to avoid furious fans unable to enter half-empty stadia, as it happened during multiple 2024 AFCON matches. For example:

The 2023 Africa Cup organizing committee (COCAN) said the reason there were empty seats for host nation Ivory Coast’s match against Guinea-Bissau in the tournament opener at the 60,000-capacity Alassane Ouattara Stadium on Saturday was because of so-called “dead seats,” which include places with reduced visibility or security seats.

Excluding these places would leave the stadium with a useable capacity of 50,786.

Yet the stadium announcer gave an attendance of 36,858 people for the tournament’s opening match. It had been billed as a sell-out.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US stadiums will sell out the day the tickets go on sale. There won't be a need for security personnel to fill empty seats.

r0adrunner repped this.
  18. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't recall it being a significant issue at previous major international events in the USA, including in 1994.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The height of the crack epidemic in our major cities.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IDK if our reputation will really dampen demand much. But I do think that as many if not more shootings seem to happen outside of urban areas. There aren't too many places in the good old USA that one is truly safe from gun violence.

Sorry if that sounds as verging on "political" but I'm just trying to present it as factual. Sad facts as they might be.

I heard the KC mayor say they had quite a lot of cops on during the Chiefs celebration carnage. Don't have the numbers.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2696 Paul Berry, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    Compared to 1994 most big urban areas are a damn site safer than they were in 1994 and as cities with high homicide rates like St Louis, Chicago, Baltimore and Oakland aren't hosting any games it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Statistically the most dangerous hosting cities in the US are:

#8 KC
    #12 Miami (Miami Gardens)
    #16 Philly
    #22 Atlanta
    #42 Dallas

Where they rank in CBS News top 65 "Deadliest US Cities" min 100k population.

22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Are we really doing the crime stats stuff. Every WC we do the same thing on here. The lame scary lazy narratives.

Zero people will avoid the WC'26 due to perceived shootings. It's literally a non issue in regards to the World Cup and this thread.

Marius Tresor, OzRed, Cheetah101 and 2 others repped this.
  23. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico is also a host. With its own massive security problems. I'm not overly concerned about security. I live in Downtown Los Angeles where we run the risk of getting stabbed my a vagrant every time we pump gas. I don't ride public transportation in LA; and I don't recommend anyone doing so. I'm a bit immune to the safety concerns in big cities.

Everyone is the owner of their own fear and will act accordingly.

Marius Tresor and wixson7 repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't feel safe pumping gas or riding transit in Los Angeles then you definitely wouldn't feel safe in London, Milan or Marseille. That's just a big city thing.

I'm the opposite. I feel pretty safe anywhere. I was wandering around downtown Los Angeles only last year. I used to travel to away matches in England in the 70s and 80s and that sort of gives you a thick hide.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  25. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in the most dangerous city in the US and rarely feel any actual danger. Like all big cities, you need to be aware of your surroundings. Are their areas of my city I would not walk around at night? sure. But also I have zero reason to ever be even near those areas.

majspike and BocaFan repped this.