It is not but yes Mexico is very good at home. Germany in 86 knocked them out at the Azteca on pks. They have not played many KO world cup games at the Azteca. In 1986 the only knockout Mexico won was against Bulgaria. In 1970 they lost at the first stage after the groups which was the quarter finals 4-1 to Italy in Toluca which has an even higher altitude than the Azteca. Comparison is the thief of joy so it's best not to compare. For Englands history it was massive. For the history of the sport /world cup Norway eliminating Brazil is more impressive/bigger scalp.
England squad support for the suspended Jarell Quansah. Bukayo Saka: “I just found out that it's two-match ban which is incredibly frustrating for us and for him the most. It’s the way it is. We're not here to complain. We just need to adapt and pick a team that's ready to beat…— Henry Winter (@henrywinter) July 9, 2026 Cautionary tale: England have Jude Bellingham, Declan Rice, Marc Guehi and Nico O’Reilly a yellow card away from suspension. O’Reilly: “I approach it the same as every other game; of course there’s a risk of a yellow card and missing the next game. We’ve not spoken about it. It’s…— Henry Winter (@henrywinter) July 9, 2026 Making plans for Haaland? England respectful of the great Norway threat (seven goals in the World Cup so far, 58 for the season in 63). “Erling’s dangerous in the box, he's a real threat but they need to get him the ball there first,” says his Manchester City club-mate Nico…— Henry Winter (@henrywinter) July 9, 2026 Nico O’Reilly and Bukayo Saka dealt well with questions about the possibility of playing Argentina in the semi-final from Argentina media. Straight bat, emphasised focus only on Norway. #NORENG #FIFAWorldCup— Henry Winter (@henrywinter) July 9, 2026
BBC breaking news that Guehi might miss Saturday entirely with an hamstring problem. Would Stones or Burn replace him? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c3eyqdwq392o
As far as I can see Quansah is the only player to be suspended for more than 1 match at this World Cup. It was a red card but it doesn't deserve to be in a special category of offence. Even violent conduct has only been a one match ban elsewhere. Just seems bizarre that it is somehow the only red card over the threshold for an extended ban this tournament.
In ‘86 Mexico lost on pks to W Germany in Monterrey, not the Azteca. Mexico’s coach, Javier Aguirre, played in that game and was red-carded in extra time. I recall it being a very drab 0-0 draw.
The Qatari player who broke Kone’s leg got a five game ban. That seems incredibly harsh and based on the damage caused rather than the violence of the challenge. I think that’s the only other example of an extended ban.
BREAKING: Declan Rice suffering from sickness bug as England staff desperately try to make sure it doesn’t spreadhttps://t.co/NEyc9qJ2jq— The Sun Football ⚽ (@TheSunFootball) July 9, 2026 It’s hard to tell with illness.
I don't read the Sun, it actually says he's a doubtful for the game? seems a little far fetched for a upset stomach
Not directly but the BBC says his hamstring pain has been made worse by the illness which sounds very worrying to me,
🎙️Have you seen anything like Erling Haaland’s finishing?🗣️ Djed Spence: “Yeah, Harry Kane.” 🏴🤍 pic.twitter.com/n8vh9ifhmS— The Spurs Watch (@TheSpursWatch) July 9, 2026
every paper (at least online) is offering a variation of the following. in bold probably the biggest highlight. i am sure he'll play, but his absence is still noteworthy. FA officials have taken steps to isolate Rice from the main group in an attempt to contain what could be a potentially damaging outbreak. Camp insiders say they are confident the illness has been contained. Rice has now missed two days of training in a row thanks to the bug, in the build up to England's huge quarter final with Norway in Miami. The Norwegians are in the midst of their own illness problems, with goalkeeper Orjan Nyland verifying reports of an illness in the camp and claiming that the team doctor is 'very busy'. Two Norway players have already missed matches through illness, while their manager has coughed violently at a press conference,
Marc Guehi rated as 50-50 for #england World Cup quarter-final v Norway. Hamstring problem not serious, but time the issue, and Dan Burn pushing to come in if Guehi doesn’t make it. Rice sickness shouldn’t stop him starting, and England have isolated the bug. Reece James…— Rob Dorsett (@RobDorsettSky) July 10, 2026 World Cup: Marc Guehi a 'serious doubt' for England's quarter-final clash with Norway | Football News | Sky Sports Sky say Guehi is a "serious doubt" with Burn pushing to start. Hopeful Rice will be able to start once they load him up with fluids and medicine - and there's no bug raging through the squad as it's just Rice And confidence James can play a part
England winger Anthony Gordon has revealed he took Mexico boss Javier Aguirre's foul-mouthed rant as a "compliment" - Daily Mirror
Turpin is the ref tomorrow. Top ref. Should put an end to the conspiracy theories. Especially combined with the ref yesterday having an uncontroversial performance.
I doubt the speculation will stop - https://talksport.com/football/worl...money-laundering-investigation-fbi-world-cup/ "The FBI are reportedly investigating the Argentine Football Association over suspicious financial activity."
Feels like if he was seen to be dodgy and doing FIFA’s dirty work he would lose his high status he has with UEFA who clearly hate FIfA at the moment.