FIFA World Cup 2018 - Round of 16: Argentina vs. France - June 30 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 26, 2018.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #101 SupaMario, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Just no penalty shootouts please.

Also, if I am not mistaken, I believe there will be a fourth sub allowed in ET. So, we could use those fresh legs.

2. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sampaoli (or whoever's coaching right now :ninja:) set to start the same 11 that beat Nigeria.

Only doubt is Pavón for Di María or Higuaín.

3. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    With the squad we have, we don’t have many choices. Aguero is a nice player but doesn’t put in the press work needed to play with Messi. This is one reason Aguero/Higuain played together under Sabella. They switched roles constantly.

4. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Seriously how did Meza make the squad out of nowhere? Just one game vs Spain in the worst loss in history is enough to convince sampbaldy ??

5. Milwaukee Joe

Milwaukee Joe Member

Jun 23, 2018
    I would play Pavon instead of Enzo and Aguero instead of Pipito. Those are the only changes I would make.

Enzo wasn't bad by any means but he's simply not an international class player. He's a bits and pieces player. He will do a job, he will keep the ball moving, he will work hard. He is not a liability like Biglia. I like Enzo but he's a limited footballer. He will never be a protagonist in a game against France. He's there to do a job, to help the midfield keep its shape, on the right of a midfield three, and to offer Mercado protection. I'm sure he'll keep his place but if we need a goal he'll be the first player to be subbed, in favour of Pavon. I would have Pavon on from the start. Give France something to think about. He can cause them problems. When he came on against Nigeria, he changed the game, he was really good, and he started to link well with Messi. Pavon had a couple of really good moments and he also forced a few corners. He gave us another attacking dimension. There is not a lot of goals in this team. Put Pavon instead of Enzo, the whole attacking dimension changes. I would play him.

Di Maria has become more of a runner than a match-winner. He works bloody hard. I would go for a bit of flair on the other side. If we keep Enzo however Higuain makes much more sense.

Regarding Pipito, he didn't play badly against France, and his movement was good. Chances don't feel at his feet by accident. He doesn't hide. Unfortunately he doesn't step up when you need him most.

The trouble is, Armani is kicking long a lot of the time, as we don't have the defenders to play out from the back, and Higuain can battle Varane and Umtiti in the air, which is important.

Aguero is the classier striker and the deadlier striker, but with the current line-up, Pipito's presence makes sense.

Regarding Meza, I thought he did okay against Nigeria. I understood his introduction. Sampaoli wanted to keep width, and it was that width that made us win the game. A lot of things started happening down Meza's flank. He made some good runs without the ball behind the defence, he nearly won a penalty, and he set up Pipito's chance. It was a brave call by Sampaoli but I think he was vindicated.

He's not a top player and not everything he did came off but he contributed to the win and he was very involved and very penetrative. There are lots of players we all wish were in the squad but they're not and we have to make the best of what we have.

My fear is that this game will come too soon for us, as France have had much more rest and we have an older team. France have a complete team but they're beatable. We have to stay in the game. The fresh legs from the bench will be vital. Vamos Argentina.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If France has a weakness, it's defending wide. Their fullbacks join the attack well but often get caught out of position. Somebody like Pavon would have a field day. Di Maria as well, if he's on one of his good days.

cigar_city repped this.
  7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's funny how our central defender can manage to score from a difficult volley the first chance he gets, while our center forward gets chance after chance over the years with much easier shots and can't even come close. Well, maybe it's not funny.

ShortyMac, barcaq8, cigar_city and 2 others repped this.
  8. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    maybe we should switch their positions lol

9. Progott

Progott Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Well, he's playing in france...
    Maybe that gives him a bit of extra motivation

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You mean Mascherano.

11. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    I’m not surprised because he had a great year with Independiente but how did Paredes get dropped? Now thats beyond absured.

12. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Btw Meza played around 15 mins and provided Higuain with a clear chance. Higuain misses and Meza is terrible. Higuain scores and Meza is the best sub on planet earth. Meza is the same guy that created a penalty against Iceland. Messi scores, Meza is amazing but Messi misses, and all of a sudden why is Meza playing?

He also deserved a clear pk against Nigeria.

cigar_city and Amuseddaysleeper repped this.
  13. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    I think the coach needs to have a chat with Rojo. Tell him to stop being erratic with his play at the back, stay focused, and play simple.

Banega’s passing will be key because their midfield will leave space behind them. If we can quickly counter with Messi and DiMaria then they’re toast. If we can’t then we’re in trouble.

14. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    I think that is why Pavon will be the first sub instead of a starter. Having Pavon exploit the French defence while they start to get tired around the hour mark will be very dangerous for them. However problem is will Argentina even be in it by then? Not conceding first will be crucial because this team turns into a train wreck the moment they get scored on

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At least now we have a goalkeeper.

cigar_city repped this.
  16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Higuain at this point is in same level as Biglia. Just imagine... let say Messi or Banega sent him through one vs one againts France goalie, what will happen?

17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If we conceided first, lets hope they could keep their composure like against Nigeria. Assuming we conceided just one, there will be ET if we can get equalizer, even if the goal comes late like against Nigeria.

18. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He'll score. This time, he will.

He's got to.

Or live forever in opprobrium...

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Que tal? El chabon dando clases de ingles.. No la tenia a esa palabra

Sandinista repped this.
  20. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Huh? Are you implying that the league in France is easy? It's not as tough as Spain but it's not easy. Besides, it's not his first season in France. 21 goals on 44 appearances is insane for someone who plays his position. Has anyone watched him this year?

Di Maria has been the most underappreciated player for Argentina that I can remember. Definitely our 2 or 3 best along with Masch and after Messi during the past 10 years. Only problem has been his injuries during key moments.

Pipiolo repped this.
  21. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    On a positive note, anyone else notice we are defending set pieces well? Thought we'd be terrible given our never-ending changing defense and lack of height.

22. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    -I don't know how well we're defending set pieces but I do know that of the 20 corners we've had we have wasted all of them... It's not like each one has to be a chance, but there has been poor execution and many times with the ball not even passing the first defender...

-If the WC had ended for us on the match vs. Nigeria this would've been a LOUSY cup for Di María. I know he's got the potential and he really tries too, but he's also inconsistent as ********. I wouldn't even start him vs. France, i'd rather see Pavón from the start. But whatever, hopes he makes 3 goals and shuts me up.

-Tuve que buscar bien la traducción de "oprobio" para no errarle... :ninja:

Albiceleste2010 and locoxriver repped this.
  23. NussMasri

NussMasri Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How does Messi get space?

He was leading goal scorer in la liga, so it's not like he's on decline. Opponents are suffocating him by marking him right away.

How the heck does the team assist to get him space?

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi is playing in totally different system at Barca, there's always many teammates surrounding him to play one-two every single time. That almost never happen when he plays for Argentina. Also, all his teammates at the club knows where to make runs when Messi is on the ball so Messi can easily set them up to score... in Argentina his teammates are mostly static and could clearly see the distance between him and the other players are light years away, except for Mascherano.

His goal against Nigeria was a proof of that, if wasnt his ball control and finishing, it wont be a goal. Another player wont score that one.

Look at what Higuain;s doing when Messi made that run... he was sleepwalking!

This is why I think Banega would be the key in getting Messi into goal scoring position because Masche will never make penetrating pass.

25. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They are saying that Enzo Perez might not be 100% physically fit to start on saturday and guess who is gonna replace him??? Yes, you guessed right: BIGLIA

BIGLIAAAAAAAAA
    BIGLIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WHY GOD, WHY???