FIFA World Cup 2018 - Round of 16: Argentina vs. France - June 30 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The three changes I would have loved in our squad would be Paredes, Lamela and Icardi for Biglia, Perez and Salvio. Just see how much better we would look then.

And Higuain should not start again, he is just not mentally or animically in a great moment. Either Aguero or Dybala should get the call.

2. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Higuain played well off the ball, held it, and pressed extensively.

3. RacingGirl

RacingGirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 8, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

4. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But when presented with 2 gilt edged chances he missed both. So do we want a striker who will put a shift in, or one who will score if he gets a chance?

johnbarley2, Pipiolo and Rattlehead repped this.
  5. Prit Javier

Prit Javier Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    May 9, 2018
    Salvio isn't a right back rather a winger, but i agree totally we needed a another Defensive midfielder and not Biglia.

Rattlehead repped this.
  6. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And bare in mind that we may only get 2 or 3 chances against France, would you really trust Higuain to be the guy to out one or more of those away?

Amuseddaysleeper repped this.
  7. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    I understand that people rate Dybala very highly and want to see him in the lineup but his inclusion in the starting lineup will only make things worse. The best formation for Argentina is either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and in both of these, if Dybala was to play, he would have to either play in the wing or as a midfielder. He is neither of these 2. Di Maria/Pavon are better wingers than him, Higuain/Aguero are better 9 than him, Messi is a better 10/right winger than him, Banega/Lo Celso are better midfielders than him. So, how exactly is he going to improve the starting 11?

It also seems like most people here underestimate the importance of off ball movements in football. We have a very static midfield and on top of that Messi is also not one of those who often makes hurting runs to open up space for his teammates. It is therefore very important that players like Di Maria and Higuain play, especially against teams like France who will not be parking the bus.

So for me the best possible lineup will be the one we used against Nigeria, minus Perez and plus Lo Celso. We need Higuain and DiMaria who will make vertical runs as soon as our defenders/midfielder wins the ball back.

This game is very winnable. The Nigeria game has lifted a lot of pressure from most of our players and now that we are not the favourite anymore and will not be playing against the parked bus, I think we will win this game. Messi is going to have another great performance on Saturday.

barcaq8, locoxriver, Christina99 and 4 others repped this.
  8. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Early rumoured line up, although according to TyC Sports, the only doubt is whether Pavon will play instead of Higuain with Messi as a false 9

Rattlehead repped this.
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aguero scored in first game and won a penalty. His presence dragged 3 Nigerian defenders and allowing Rojo to hit the ball freely.

I dont remember Higuain contribution other than missing 2 close range chances. Aguero didnt score against Croatia has nothing to do with his form as we all know how bad the team performance that day.

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That is not a bad idea actually. Pavon is like 5 x faster and stronger than Higuain. Even though he's not a finisher, neither does today's version of Higuain.

11. Progott

Progott Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Sitting a bit deeper against france the speed of pavon could be a game changer.

Leon12 and Rattlehead repped this.
  12. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Plus I don't rate both of France's fullbacks so the pace of Pavon and Di Maria are perfect if we are to sit back and counter. Throw in Meza as a sub when one of them gets tired.

13. Amuseddaysleeper

Jul 8, 2014
    Were people happy with Enzo in the last game? And please god, no more higuain

Rattlehead repped this.
  14. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pavon can finish though he has had his share of boggling misses. Gotten better at it this past season. Not sure about him playing more centrally though. Just go with Aguero if going that route.

Rattlehead repped this.
  15. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No, please don't throw on Meza, I thought he was terrible when he came on against Nigeria. I wonder what full backs France will go with, they have much better full backs on the bench than the ones they have actually used.

locoxriver and Rattlehead repped this.
  16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yep, at least Kun mostly score when presented with good chances. Higuain would be my last choice.

17. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Both Pavon and Di Maria are bound to get tired as they should make a lot of attacking and defensive long runs and I trust Meza more in that role than Salvio and Acuna. Meza usually plays well when having a lot of space to run like he did vs spain in march and he's not that good when teams sit back and limit space like Nigeria did in the 2nd half. If we sit back and counter against France, I think Meza will be more useful than the previous 3 games he played.

Leon12 repped this.
  18. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He did alright after a shaky start. His cross should have been buried by Higuain.

Still no sign of Lo Celso and Dybala. Two outstanding talents especially Lo Celso and not even given a chance.

19. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To be honest there is little point in France or Argentina turning up on Saturday, because as far as the media over here (England) are concerned England are already 2018 world champions.

Christina99 repped this.
  20. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Indeed they are. It is getting a bit nauseating. Danny ''Frankensteins Assistant' Murphy. We've nothing to fear from Colombia, Senegal or Japan. Hubris and nemesis are two words he should remember.

Leon12 repped this.
  21. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's really disappointing that you can have a world class talent like Dybala and we can't even find a way to use him as a sub (apart from against Croatia when Sampoli seemed to lose his mind).

soul24rage repped this.
  22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They'll get shock therapy at knockout stage. Brazil, Spain, France, Argentina, Portugal , Uruguay are still alive. Granted at least two of those will be out by QF, but I dont see them beating Brazil , Spain, France or even Portugal.

If anyone saw their game against Panama, it was a joke. Its like Argentina vs Haiti.

23. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    This also gives us more coverage on the wings as both Pavon and Di Maria stay wide and can track back. Allows Messi to conserve energy.

Anyone know if Messi played as false 9 for Barca this season?

Our lack of another hardworking DM is ridiculous.

24. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Poland have scored via Bednarek. So Colombia will qualify. On a knife edge though.

25. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    He overlaps with Messi too much. We have this problem every single world cup on at least one offensive position. The worst thing we can do is try to shoehorn stars into positions and formations which they're not suited to. That never works for us.

The big shame is that all our hardworking midfielders (Masch, Biglia, Enzo) are old as hell, tired, and playing terrible to average.

Can Lo Celso play a box to box role like Enzo or is he too offensive to play alongside Banega (poor defensively) and Masch (terrible form)?