FIFA World Cup 2018 - Round of 16: Argentina vs. France - June 30 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Sampoli should stay, we have gone through to many managers, let him carry on and build a team for 2022.

I don't hate on any of this generation, not even Higuain, they did there best but just came up short.

2. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It was a blatant pen and awful defending by Rojo.

charlie15 repped this.
  3. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Disagree that's a soft pen
    Sampaoli needs to make way now so we can start a cycle early

4. Milwaukee Joe

Milwaukee Joe Member

Jun 23, 2018
    #654 Milwaukee Joe, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Sampaoli should go. Argentina were a shambles in this tournament. Totally unorganised, and going into a World Cup, that is unforgivable.

We had our chance. We were lucky to be leading 2-1, but once ahead, you have your chance, the longer you can stay ahead, the more the opposition get edgy, the more their game-plan goes out the window, but Argentina couldn't hold a lead for more than a few minutes because they were an unstable side, a side with no security, a side with no organisation.

We were by far the least organised side in the competition. For that the coach has to go.

Sampaoli hasn't had long in the job, so you concentrate first of all on making yourselves hard to beat, hard to break down. You have to be solid. Argentina has enough talent going forward to win any game but you need to build a solid platform. Instead of focusing on the important thing this coach focused instead on changing formation every two minutes, trying to come up with clever plans to fox the opposition. He was asking this team to run before it could walk. It was a criminal lack of judgement.

This was a team that struggled to qualify for the tournament. Organise them. Every other team in this tournament is organised. Every other team has a shape. Every other team is well-drilled. Argentina were a complete and utter shambles.

We looked vulnerable every time the opposition attacked. Today we had possession, but we had nobody up front. Every time France attacked they looked like scoring. They ran straight through us. It was so easy for them. Sampaoli did nothing to change it. He should have changed it after 5 minutes. It was so obvious they were going to score goals. Every time they counter-attacked they were in. Change it. Sit back and suck it up and hit them on the break. We played right into their hands.

Yes we were 1-1 at half-time but only because of a wonder individual goal. We didn't trouble their goal at all. Sadly that goal meant Sampaoli changed nothing, even though it clearly wasn't working. We needed a focal point up front, even if it meant having less of the ball. France were by far the superior side. The 4-3 scoreline flattered us.

We had no coherent plan going forward and we had no coherent plan going backwards. This wasn't a team with a clear idea of what it was. This was a very confused team, with a vey confused coach.

A lot of these players have to go. Otamendi should stay. Tagliafico, obviously. As for the others, I really think their time is up. I'm not talking about Pavon obviously. It's time for a new group. It's time for Lo Celso and Paredes and Dybala and Icardi. This team needs a new identity, with a new coach.

I don't really care if Messi stays. He's been a great player for Argentina but if he does stay he shouldn't be captain. Giving him the armband was a mistake. He's not Maradona. The best player doesn't have to be captain. Puyol wasn't the best player at Barcelona, nor was Terry at Chelsea or Ramos at Real. The spiritual leader should be captain and for this team that was always Mascherano. Messi didn't need the armband, it didn't help him or the team, it brought too many parallels with Maradona. Messi is just not captain material. If it was Mascherano's idea it was a bad one.

A new coach should come in and assert his authority straight away by having the balls to choose his own captain. It's time for a fresh start.

If Messi can't play with Dybala then he should make way. Dybala has waited long enough. It's his time now. He's a great player. He'll never be Messi obviously but sometimes you just have to hand over the baton and give someone else a try. Messi has had 4 World Cups. Dybala will be 28 when the next one comes along. He deserves his shot.

Mascherano? A great player and a true warrior. He will be missed. Like Messi he's been let down by shoddy organisation, corruption and poor coaching. He deserved better. Argentina really have let some glorious opportunities pass them by but this is the end of the road now for this group. Maybe the next group will fare better but for that they will need a better coach.

No way does Sampaoli deserve to stay. His performance in this World Cup has been absolutely shocking.

5. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Biglia has retired from the national team.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  6. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Well that's quite a relief, great to hear!

Pipiolo repped this.
  7. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    He confirmed his stay. I assume he stays on for another year at least.

9. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @Milwaukee Joe, I heard you and some other posters keep mentioned about "corruption", can you tell me more about that. And do you think the corruption issue can be fix in the next generation?

And it beyond me what was the real reason they keep on bench Dybala.

10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top post. Sampa should leave for the sake of the NT. He is a one trick pony and totally over his head. His selection, tactics, game plan and subs were nothing short of catastrophic. The younger guys, new generation need a new leadership, with clear ideas and direction, not a dude who is totally clueless.
    Today he removed the Rojo (a total joke of a player as far as I am concerned) and still replaced him by the slowest player in the squad against an Mbappe! Mind boggling.
    Dybala treatment during this competition was simply shocking. In what world, Mesa and Pavon play and not Dybala? SMH. What ever happended to Lo Celso? I could go on and on about Sampa. That experience was a total failure and it is time to move on.

11. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I want an answer as to why Rojo was removed. I mean you just don't sub out your defenders like this.

12. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    I hear you and I agree with you but Sampaoli confirmed his stay and the AFA can’t pay him 20mil to fire him. Its sad but its true. He was all over the place and his team was as bad as he was. Fortunately, these were veterans so imagine how a young squad would react to such erratic coaching decisions? This is exactly why I think he should leave. Again, unless a mutual agreement occurs between AFA and Sampaoli, then firing him is far from happening.

13. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As much as I really want Sampa to go, I accepted the fact that he's gonna stay because AFA doesn't have the $$$ to pay him out. We have to pray that Sampa chooses the right players that will fit the system that he thinks will succeed. The rebuilding has to start today and I hope that in the CA 2019, we start players who might be in contention for the WC 2022.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, that was an odd substitution, not strategic but man for man, against a team that was killing us with speed, not exactly Fazio’s best attribute.

All I can think is that Rojo had a yellow, and maybe the reasoning was that he was very likely to get a red, since the only way he could stop the French attackers was by fouling them. And it’s true that Rojo was playing poorly, although Fazio somehow managed to do even worse.

Seriously, going forward, do any decent young central defenders ready for NT duty come to mind? Mammana maybe?

15. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Can't say I'm surprised.

Moishe repped this.
  16. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Team did what they can do ,individualy they had given all.

But we were tactically poor , messi as false 9 is wrong from the begining it self , we are not in 2010 where messi was good as false 9 , and that too along with 2 wingers , messi is the best playmaker in world now , and we need him in that role.

we need pragmatic coach , who values defense as well , we can rise from this , we may not have world class players , but we can make a good unit with good coach.

With argentina always

17. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dybala.
    Icardi.
    Lo Celso.
    Pavón.
    Lanzini.
    Lautaro Martínez.
    Alario.
    Paredes.
    Tagliafico.
    Acuña.
    Ascacibar.
    Kranevitter.
    Bustos.
    Centurión.
    Pezzela.
    Funes Mori.
    Meza.
    Armani.
    Rulli.
    Marchesín.

Refundación.

For me, without Sampaoli.

locoxriver and argentine soccer fan repped this.
  18. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Been saying this for years.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can see Messi coming back if he wants to, he is too good a player and if he’s still playing he’ll probably still be a difference maker. But at 35 I expect he’s not going to be running all over the field, and he’ll likely be a step slower. I can see him still having his excellent finishing, so he could be playing higher up, letting Dybala be the main playmaker.

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #670 argentine soccer fan, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Other than central defense, we have plenty of young players that could step in. We can already build a great team without any of the old guard, except maybe Messi. For example:

....................Armani (Rulli)
    Bustos - Funes Mori - ¿Mammana? - Tagliafico
    .......Lanzini ..Ascacibar- Lo Celso (Paredes)
    ..............................Dybala
    ..................Messi (Correa, Pavon)
    ..................::,:.....Icardi (Martínez)

21. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At WC kind of stage , we should not experiment much , we fanboys thought throwing pavon in to the lineup will be great , but he got in to starting 11 and turned out to be poor.
    sampaoli tried hell lot of formations and lineups from the day he started as DT , i never thought i would have said this couple of years back , Tata should have stayed as DT , we never looked this bad in both of the copa , in fact we played good football under him.
    Good thing is Messi will stay with team , ottamendi is good we need good partner for him , in midifield we do have so many variations .

22. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Otamendi, Garay and Fazio are not young and Qatar is far away.

But they could play next year's Copa América if they were in good level at the moment.

Álvarez from indep'te is a good BC and there's also a boy from Vélez that is a really good lateral, forgot his name... As prospects of course, not to give them the shirt and make them play overnight.

23. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How bout Juan Foyth for central defense? He looks like he has good potential to be a great CB.

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At this point, our target should be CA. At least we could experiment with younger players in that tournament while still having a chance to win it...afterall Argentina has reached the final 27 times.

25. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random thought.

Say that rumor about Sampaoli harassing a team chef before the start of the World Cup is true (or there is enough smoke). Could they just fire him with cause and not owe him anything? I suppose it depends on the contract.

charlie15 repped this.