FIFA World Cup 2018 - Round of 16: Argentina vs. France - June 30 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd replace Masche and only put him in second half when hopefully we already have the lead by then. He just dont have the speed anymore and his passing has been sloppy. Lo Celso should start and I 'd start Aguero upfront as he was actually great against Iceland, too bad Messi couldnt convert that penalty which he won. Pavon can come in second half replacing Di Maria.

johnbarley2 repped this.
  2. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    France are a funny team, you never quite know what to expect, they could be brilliant and blow us of the park or they could be terrible, it seems to be either / or with nothing in between. I'm quite relaxed about this game because we are the underdogs.

barcaq8 and Rattlehead repped this.
  3. Milwaukee Joe

Milwaukee Joe Member

Jun 23, 2018
    The only change will be Aguero for Pipita.

If we are chasing the game in the second-half, the first sub will be Pavon for Enzo.

I think Sampaoli is finding his best team, slowly, and I think Argentina will win.

Rattlehead repped this.
  4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

They're always one of tournament fav teams but the one which often lack something "special" or an extra spark.

Their run in 2014 was good example. I think in a way they're siMilar to Argentina. Put strings of solid performance and then struggled when things really gets tough. However, we do have Messi that can makes the difference like he did in first 4 matches in 2014. He scored in last game, so he' should have the confidence now.

They lost to Germany in similar fashion as Argentina in the final and also in Euro final against Portugal, like when Argentina lost to Chile despite having better talents.

5. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #30 Gilbertsson, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Argentina could get far after this match against Nigeria. France can't win that, somehow I feel it. Just remember, that I predicted victory against Nigeria and that Di Maria will fell down, only not in 11 m space.
    Only Maradona needs to move out from audience sector with his strange religious epiphany with middle finger gestures. If you agree, this can't go together, surely God isn't listening Maradona. Maradona is talking with iClouds, not sure why.:rolleyes: Beside him, we see only ridiculous, like Higuita, Valderrama. Get a hair cut guys, we are not in 80's. But, it's a good tactic with Pope Francisco Bergoglio, he has ties.:rolleyes:

Why can't we see Ayala, Batistuta, Zanetti, Aimar, Crespo, Ortega, just like Maradona. Some normal viejos. He is just building his cult of walking, living deity and people fall on that??:D He even molests Del Potro on various tournaments. Did Maradona played tennis in his life? He is providing attention, nothing else.

The question is, how long can Mascherano keep the high level in the future matches? He makes what Veron and Cambiasso made together. El rostro de catriz.:D Banega was always good.

Varane, Umtiti, Ramy could have big issues with Messi, Di Maria, Aguero, Higuain.

Kante, Pogba contra Mascherano, who will have more energy? Kante is new Makelele. Pogba is The Pogba. Legacy for the future players.

Argentine defenders won't have problems with Giroud. Ego of Deschamps will end his road, he should take Benzema and Payet instead of Giroud.

French goalkeepers have advantage.

But Argentine slightly edgy style, lets not say: sucio :D could annoy French players. Otamendi, Mascherano.

If Argentine players avoid the cult of Messi and Maradona, they could start to respect themselves, just like their clubs respect them.
    Chelsea might stop with the respect towards Caballero.:rolleyes:
    But Sevilla, Manchester United, Ajax, Roma, Sporting, PSG, Benfica, Juventus, Manchester City trust in these players. Major clubs in Europe.
    I'm sure that Hebel China Fortune likes Mascherano.:D Not sure, will he be able to play on high level in Chinese league after this World Cup semifinals. This worries me a lot.:D

It will be interesting to see fired Sampaoli with the medal around his neck. It's also nice to see his hidden tattoos. They scare the children and adolescents. He looks more like watermelon seller with such image. I trust in his knowledge, lets not forget his great Chilean adventure. Only he needs to stop walking like Bielsa: Beast in the cage. Small birds also live in the cages.:rolleyes:

johnbarley2 repped this.
  6. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you're worried about haircuts and hair in general take a look at Sorín who is a commentator i think for a spanish or mexican network... :eek:

RacingGirl and Rattlehead repped this.
  7. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Only thing that is worrying is the pace of France. Mbappe, Dembele, Griezmann and Kante could wreak havoc on the counter. Also, on paper it looks like France's midfield is too strong and will potentially boss the middle of the pitch. If Banega can't get his game going then this will be tough

locoxriver repped this.
  8. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I would start the same formation (obviously). Even same starting players from Nigeria. We don't have much depth in midfield to expirement. The subs need to be completely changed. Sampaoli subbing is erratic just like the little man himself. They make no sense. We can't be desperate like this with substitutes. You cant take off Tagliafaco for an attacker and make us go back to a line of 3. Subs have to be like for like. Aguero for higuain early in the second half (min 55-65), Pavon for Di Maria minute 75 and leave the last sub as a wild card depending on what happens. Just don't put Meza in so eagerly.

Last sub I would say Lo celso for Banega. Keep enzo on as we need balanced in midfield.

That's it. We will win.

Ps: what a waste of spots salvio and Acuna are proving to be. We could have had 2 class midfielders from a long list of talent: lamela, pizzaro, Paredes ect. All with CL experience. ******** that tattooed penguin.

hoss23, Christina99 and Rattlehead repped this.
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Higuain shouldnt be starting. In a game which our opponents dont bunker and when Banega is playing well, Aguero will simply get a goal.

Pipiolo repped this.
  10. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I am being realistic. Would you rather see higuain in the second half? I don't..

11. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Higuaín should start. Or at least that kind of 9, but sampaoli didn't bring any substitute for him.

12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aguero was the reason why Rojo scored his goal. He can do any task that Higuain being asked to do, plus he can finish when opportinity does come.

[​IMG][If you're talking about dragging defenders, then its what Aguero did in Rojo's goal.

[​IMG]

13. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Plus I feel it's better to tire out their defenders with Higuain and get a fresh aguero to finish the game off

14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #39 Rattlehead, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Well I could agree with that but Aguero will need to come in earlier if Higuain is ineffective in first half. I dont like it when a sub comes in so late in the game that sometimes they barely has any chance to show their impact.

Against Iceland, Kun scored the first goal and won our penalty which Messi failed to convert. Higuain so far has contributed nothing other than his usual choking.

15. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    I didn’t mind his subs. It was a smart tactical move to bring in another striker and hold off the two CBs. My only problem was Meza out wide. Meza would be fine playing in Enzo’s spot where he wouldn’t be too pressured from defenders due to the focus being on Messi/DiMaria but you already have Pavon.

I don’t think Acuna is a waste because he can play LB, LM, and LWF. Salvio on the other hand, although he’s extremely good offensively, is a waste because you already have Mercado/Ansaldi for that spot. Paredes should have been selected for this counter attacking style we’re all of a sudden playing.

johnbarley2 and Pipiolo repped this.
  16. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    that's my worry too. plus they rested most of the 1st teamer. I think we have to go with the Sabella knock out stage defensive style. Sit back and Counter. Besides Giroud and N'zonzi, they don't have a lot attacking players who can head the ball. If we are going to sit back and counter, I would start Aguero than Higuain as we'll need pace up front to exploit the space.

wangballer and Rattlehead repped this.
  17. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Samp really messed up his team selection. Argentina literally only have 3 players that can play cm in Banega, Lo Celso, and Perez while Masche is the only DM. This is going to be the achilles heel of this team imo because Masche can't sustain his level of play for the entire tournament. He was supposed to play Biglia's role rn ..... a benchwarmer that offers mentorship and tips to the young guys. Wasting spots on Biglia and one of Salvio/Ansaldi (seriously why so many fb's?) is really going to haunt this team because instead we could have had Pizarro & Paredes which all of a sudden offers multiple options in the midfield. Samp said he wanted a balanced team but this is not balanced at all. Seriously why did he take 3 RBs & 3 LBs? (Ansaldi counts as two since he can play both).

johnbarley2, soul24rage and Pekerman repped this.
  18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Because his actual plan is turning Argentina into Chile...

As long we could play as good as in first half against Croatia and against Nigeria (we only conceided gift penalty), we have a good chance regardless.

johnbarley2 and soul24rage repped this.
  19. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I think that France will come out and try to attack. That should suit us better than bunkering teams. We always have issues with bunkering teams.

20. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorin works for Telemundo. Dude looks like the Geico caveman:

[​IMG]

21. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    France will never blow us. Well they might but not in the footballing sense.

soul24rage and Pipiolo repped this.
  22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Some people might think Messi never has influence on the selection but here you could see it...

23. Amuseddaysleeper

Jul 8, 2014
    France does have very good defense, and their pace up against our poor defense has me very worried.

I hope Aguero start and pray there is still a chance Dybala can contribute somehow.

Also, we need to do something about Masche, he looks absolutely finished.

Really wish Saturday would hurry up already!

24. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    On paper France are strong in every area of the pitch, in defence, they have Kante in midfield, Greizman and Mbape upfront, you have the physical presence of Pogba and generally they have pace and power. I would be worried about Masch and Perez lining up against their midfield. In the group stage they have looked ordinary, but they won the group without ever really getting out of second gear. In some ways they are like us, very difficult to predict game by game what kind of performance they will put in.

25. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    They will leave tons of space at the back for Messi and Di Maria. I think this will be a chance game. Both teams will get chances and the team that converts, wins.