FIFA World Cup 2018 Preparation [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by GoYoungrokba, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sac517

sac517 Member+

May 23, 2005
    Really astute point by LYP that not enough people are talking about with respect to having such a heavyweight in the group. And a great advantage to us that we play them last.

Sons of Thunder repped this.
  2. Kor_Ita_21

Kor_Ita_21 Member

Aug 17, 2004
    So if Germany is guaranteed 9 pts, that leaves one spot left to advance out of three. In group H, you have two spots to advance out of four. I'm not sure I follow. Unless he's implying that even though we got Germany, the other two in our group are relatively weaker than the three opponents we would have had in some hypothetical group.

3. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Win the second friendly against Korea University with 8-0. Doesn't mean anything, but good for the morale

4. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Last practice match before the EAFF tournament.

5. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's mentioned some very good points in the interview, and I will bring up the other two:

1. Brief analysis on Sweden and Mexico:

Lee Young-pyo stated that albeit Mexico being the strongest out of CONCACAF, they are weak in comparison to CONMEBOL teams, which is the very reason why they also have a strong defense, and the very same reason applies to Sweden as well. In fact, both teams have the same pattern as us, but for a team that usually has an accustomed pattern of attacking from a strong defense, they will have no choice but to sacrifice defense for attacking when they face us, because in order to obtain 3 points, their objective will have to be to raise the line and go all out.

2. Full Defense (전원 수비):

He stated that unlike other tournaments, at the World Cup all of our 11 players must be able to defend whenever the opposition has the ball (Renzo Ulivieri also said something similar.), which is the very reason why we had success in 2002 and 2010; everyone defended 100% as a whole whenever the opposition had the ball. But, unfortunately the failure in our players inability to defend 100% as a whole was the biggest pain at the 2014 FIFA World Cup: Our wing forward failed to defend which then caused the opposition to push forward and capitalize on that error inevitably forcing us to break down and collapse in our very own half.

"The attacking football that we commonly talk about all starts from the defense. Football is when you can attack when you don't concede, but to the contrary you can't attack or defend once you concede. It is important for our forwards especially those in Europe to instill a defensive mindset, and if our national team can change this within the remaining 7 months, then I feel that this group (Group F) will be a hopeful one, because as I've said before, we have Germany that's capable of achieving 3 wins".

Here's the link to his interview if you wish to read at a later preference: http://v.sports.media.daum.net/v/20171204130222334

doraemon, Kanuck, TaegukWarrior and 4 others repped this.
  6. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I previously stated it would take 4 points for the 2nd team to advance in this group, because of Germany.

Again, we can be competitive against Sweden and Mexico. Hopefully aside from the 4-4-2, Grande has a second formation in mind.

Seol Korea and DHMGKorea repped this.
  7. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    so it seems like Sweden is facing Chile next year: March 24.
    January 30, Mexico is facing Bosnia.

8. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    germany and mexico is going to play first and then we are playing sweden the next day. I hope the one more rest day advantage that mexico gets will not be a huge advantage when we face against them in the 2nd game.

9. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    anyone got a team they want to see do well besides korea?

i want to see messi accomplish bigger things at the international scene but something about the argentinian national team rub me off the wrong way

10. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    If Germany pulls 3 wins, that means each of Sweden and Mexico would have at least one loss. Which would mean fewer points required for the second slot. Four points would probably be enough.

But if the top team only gets 7 points, then 4 points is probably insufficient for second place. So, if you're not the top team in a group, you're best off hoping for a dominant performance by that top team.

Having seen a bit of Mexico in the qualifiers while observing the USA national team commit slow ritual suicide, I will say that they have not looked dominant in a CONCACAF region that wasn't filled with challengers. But on present form, I doubt that Korea can beat them.

Who knows, though - if the team turns around in the next 6 months and gets hot right as the Cup rolls around, then Mexico and Sweden are beatable.

DHMGKorea repped this.
  11. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    uhhhh.....what does this mean????

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Korea is the must-win game in Sweden and Mexico's eyes and it's without a doubt circled on their calendar. We should expect to take their BEST punch.

13. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    ehm... so when does Kim Yeuna get her rightful gold medal? :mad::D;)

14. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  15. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    lol

16. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    But as LYP noted, it means they will both play a high line against us and come out to attack. That will leave them exposed and help us since SHM’s best attribute is scoring on the counter-attack.

Assuming we can maintain discipline in our defending and assuming KSY is healthy, SHM will have space to do what he does best.

sac517 repped this.
  17. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    critical for us...

on his day, KSY can unlock anyone.

sac517 repped this.
  18. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Of course Germany’s B/C squads are better than ours. However, would you rather face their A squad looking to blast their way to 6 points in the first two matches? Or would you like to face them in the third match after they’ve secured 6 points and looking to ease their way to the top of the group with.a draw or a win with their B/C squads?

If goal difference becomes a factor, I know for sure that I’d want to face them in the third match against their B or C squad.

sac517 repped this.
  19. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    aeh1991 and chook90 repped this.
  20. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Croatia and Poland.

I also don't mind other AFC teams doing well, but to be honest, I might get a little jelly.

21. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hey guys, I found the e-brochure for for the team base camps (TBCs) of Russia 2018.

You can filter through your likings.

http://www.tbc-russia2018.com/

Kanuck, DHMGKorea and sac517 repped this.
  22. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Only team I'll marginally root for other than KNT is Germany. Just because my maternal relatives all reside there.

23. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I'm supporting Korea and hope messi finally win something.

24. DHMGKorea

DHMGKorea Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Oct 11, 2016
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The only other team I will be supporting (ONLY when Korea is eliminated) is Germany. not sure why but ever since taking German all throughout high school, I've always liked Germany

25. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Other than our country, I'll obviously be supporting Poland, Colombia and Senegal.