FIFA World Cup 2018: Argentina vs. Nigeria - June 26 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 16, 2018.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He has been diagnosed with Asperger, it's a known fact. Based on knowing people with Asperger, I assume Messi's case must be mild, otherwise he wouldn't even be able to play a team sport without freaking out.

2. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    As far as I know that story was 100% bullshit rumor with no proof whatsoever. He doesn't look it to me. I have seen kids with Asperger's and messi is nothing like that.

cigar_city repped this.
  3. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    By the way, I cannot verify whether Messi is Asperger’s or not; it was some reports I read a while back.

Back on topic — anyone think Dybala should play from the 1st minute?

Or just Pavon for Di Maria, Lo Celso for Biglia, and Tagliafico for Rojo.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Stop messing around. Do this and we advance:

Armani,
    Mercado - Otamendi - Fazio - Tagliafico
    Mascherano - Lo Celso
    Meza - Dybala - Messi - Pavon

Siempre_Albiceleste and Rattlehead repped this.
  5. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    All these changes please, plus armani has to play

Rattlehead and afar repped this.
  6. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Meza doesn't not deserve to play again. I have seen enough of him. Can't believe he got selected on the basis of one game which ended 6-1. He was one of the worst players on the pitch yesterday

Pipiolo and afar repped this.
  7. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Additionally, it should light a fire under Messi that Simeone is saying that he would take Cristiano over him, and that Messi is only great because the surrounding players make him great.

Simeone has lost his marbles; Messi has carried us AND Barcelona for the past 3-4 years at least.

Quite surprisingly, it is Maradona who has been supporting Messi through this nightmare.

Loved his gesture of kissing Messi’s shirt.

He at least had motivational powers— at this point, I am not sure what Sampaoli brings.

Burr, wangballer, locoxriver and 2 others repped this.
  8. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I like this lineup, but no Meza please. Even Di Maria would be better on the other side.

9. NussMasri

NussMasri Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's almost laughable what you are saying... You should watch interviews with him. Plus he's super successful.

Only thing I can think of is the pressure is too much. Think about pressure we feel during exams or job interviews, but multiply it by infinity because if he doesn't win the cup then he's nothing, supposedly.

cigar_city repped this.
  10. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    we should just drop this topic and focus on beating nigeria :)

Pipiolo and cigar_city repped this.
  11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rojo, Biglia and Higuain

12. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Don't know about Meza though. I like the kid's work rate, but and he brings energy, but in the final third, leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe with a team that has a semblance of cohesion he'll be more useful.

13. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    It's not a fact, you should know better than to be so flippantly irresponsible. Post the source right now. I'll wait.

14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Meza didnt not play that bad actually, he's still young and he started to play for the NT at the time of chaos and it wasnt his fault. I also think Salvio actually showed a great character and never giving up.

Its too bad only 3 players that actually giving their all while the rest already looked lost even before we gifted Croatia first goal. In fact they already looked lost when Iceland equalize which is ridiculous.

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Nigeria victory gives us as lifeline but why are we talking about autism....

If this game would be some kind of last hurrah for Messi and friends, there's possibility they could still end up beating Nigeria because this time they will play with "nothing to lose" attitude. After what happened in last 2 games and after the players reaction post the Croatia game, I could sense that they players probably will just go out and play this time without giving a crap about whatever the world will say about them. That could actually work in our favor.

I dont want the likes of Biglia, Higuain and Rojo to start but if that happened, so be it.

soul24rage repped this.
  16. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I asked for your opinions on this version of Argentina's team last week as me not being an Argentina hater, I just wanted to know your guys thoughts. I said in my opinion its the worst Argentina side I can remember in my 32 years on this earth, because of the goalie, defence and midfield. I was watching post match analysis from the Croatia game and there were people questioning how on earth Dybala and Higuain aren't in the team, and finally an analyst replied saying yes but that's forwards, that's not Argentina's problem.

When you have a 34 year old centreback/ Def mid and Enzo Perez in your midfield, and a weak fullback and goalie, that's not going to get the job done. I just don't feel this team is balanced at all. Why is Croatia a darkhorse…..because of that amazing midfield, they have a weak defence and not great forwards, but when you have a midfield like that you have a chance.

Do I think Argentina can beat Nigeria, of course, do I think they will right now, not if Sampaoli is coaching the next game. But even if they do win, which of course you all naturally want, this team is not making a deep run. Nowadays you need a solid defence and structure, to go along with a strong midfield and attack, previously you could get away with amazing forwards and not much else.

I remember in 2014 even after Portugal losing to Germany and tying America, I had hope we could score a ton the last game and get through and do damage, but in reality that was a terrible team because Portugal had a terrible midfield, Ronaldo and Nani in their primes so good forwards, but a terrible right back, a backup left back after injury, a backup goalie due to injury to Patricio...……...sound familiar? Oh and a clueless coach.

Unless I am missing something and Argentina on the bench has a strong holding midfielder,a quality right back, a much better goalie, and a solid central mid to partner with a strong holding mid. If you guys do then I would hope Sam gets sacked and a coach with a plan comes in and in my opinion plays a 4 4 2, with Sergio and Higuain up front, Messi on the right of midfield, two strong midfielders in the middle, and maybe Di Maria on the left of midfield, then you have some balance added to the team and can possibly do some damage.

Iceland beat Croatia 2 0 to finish first in qualifying, IF Croatia rests some players then I can see Iceland winning, if not then Croatia should dominate and win the game. Nigeria will fight but get the early lead and then bunker down and hope they commit too many forward and hit them on the counter.

soul24rage and afar repped this.
  17. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    This.

Thank you. A lot of fu(king idiots, including moderators, discussing topics of which they know nothing about. Or just enough to sound uninformed.

No one on this board - on this site - knows more about that disorder than I do. No one.

So if you do not work in the field or have a relative on the spectrum, shut the fu(k up. Mods included.

Pipiolo and soul24rage repped this.
  18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agreed about Argentina weak midfield problem. Gago was solid throughout 2014 qualifier even if he's limited. He linked the forward and the backline really well during Sabella's time.

Since then Argentina has to rely on Messi dropping to midfield and getting crowded by opponents, which making the #9 being isolated upfront with nobody to play with.

Iceland couldnt finish 1st unless they beat Croatia, they only has 1 point now. The worst scenario for Argentina would Iceland beating Croatia but I dont see that happening. Croatia certainly will at least get a draw, nobody wants to lose at WC game, that just stupid mentallity. Croatia would want to wrap up the first round by winning all games and play knockout stage will full confidence.

Even if Croatia lose, Argentina can still advance if they beat Nigeria by bigger margin. Iceland is only 1 goal ahead of Argentina so its not impossible task. This off course by assuming Croatia lose to Iceland.

soul24rage and coelho repped this.
  19. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007

You are absolutely right. Midfield is the heart of the team, and ideally you want at least a world class playmaker (like Modric), a versatile mid who can do everything (like Rakitic), and an enforcer with lungs of steel (like Kante), and a creator from deep (like Busquets).

Secondly, a strong defense is the foundation of any winning team.

A team can go far with a strong mid and defense.

We just don’t have that in this tournament. But as long as there is life, there is hope.

soul24rage repped this.
  20. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    http://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2018/06/22/5b2d2ed946163f19398b45a1.html

Criticism for the Argentine playmaker back in his home country has been scathing, although Sampaoli himself hasn't avoided the ire of his compatriots.

"Messi has devoured seven coaches, I have the feeling Messi played badly on purpose to throw Sampaoli into the fire," Lombardi explained.

"They should throw him out, Messi doesn't care about anything, he plays in the opposite way to the coach.

"He always wants to be surrounded by the players he likes, not the best players."

Mario Kempes was one of the heroes of the Albiceleste's 1978 triumph, but he too has been critical of the forward's demeanour in the World Cup so far.

"Even if he's the best player in the world, with all his achievements, everything has a beginning and an end," he intimated.

"He must be bored, tired or disgusted, he gives everything for Barcelona but doesn't for Argentina.

"I think that no matter how much people try and argue against this, this cycle is finished for everyone."

Diego Simeone appeared to spark this debate over Messi's performance when an audio recording of his conversation with German Burgos emerged in which he appeared to suggest Cristiano Ronaldo was a better fit for worse teams.

"What is happening right now is a direct result of what's been going on with the national team for the past four years," he confirmed.

"There is anarchy, there isn't any leadership from anyone, I see a team that is lost.

"Messi is very good, but he's very good because he's accompanied by extraordinary players, if you have to choose between Messi and Ronaldo in a normal team, who would you choose?"

—————

Where were all these people when we were struggling to even qualify?!?!?

cigar_city repped this.
  21. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Ansaldi Otamendi fazio and tagli is a good defense
    Otamendi and fazio are both high caliber and play CL football.
    The problem is we have this penguin of a coach who wants defenders running around and passing the ball
    Our defense is not made for that we need a static organized line
    Midfield in the current squad we have Banega who had pretty good season with sevilla in the CL
    Lo celso who is rated very high
    And mascherano while old still gets the job done somehow
    I would add di Maria as I would rather play him as a CM than winger.
    That's solid enough. I am choked that we didn't start like this in a 4-4-2 as this is hard to beat for most teams.
    Again Sampaoli went full retard expirementing suicidal lineup and trying to play bullshit tiki taka from the back high pressure game. We aren't build like that. And that's how absolutely shit players like Acuna, salvio, meza sneaked their way into the lineup.

Burr, soul24rage, NussMasri and 2 others repped this.
  22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've defended Di María in the past, but no. I agree that Meza had a bad game against Croatia, just like all his teammates, but he's a talent who can help. He can make a difference, along with some of the other young players who do not have the weight of past tournaments on their shoulder. Who created the penalty that should have won us the first game? It was not Di María.

23. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Banega is the highest rated midfielder in the CL this season. He has the vest pass acuracy rate and the top chance creator.

Ascacibar and Battaglia do get the job done at their respective clubs in quality leagues. Paredes has proven for three seasons in Europe that he’s a top notch midfielder to the point where RM and Napoli are trying to sign him this summer.

Defense? Garay had a phenomenal season and Pezzella was one of the better defenders in Serie A leading a backline that lost their captain due to death. His coach prasied the heck out of him.

I dont mind Meza or Acuna. I think they’re serviceable players but you can’t leave out quality talent for Biglia, Higuain, Rojo who either had average seasons or were flat out pathetic.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope Messi shuts up all of them on Tuesday and beyond.

Pipiolo, Burr, afar and 2 others repped this.
  25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sampa did the same fail tactic twice! also failed with player selection! Biglia losing the ball ended up with Iceland goal and then we just kept passing the ball all the way from the back which ended up giving Croatia a free goal!

Nigeria most of the time made a proper clearance against Iceland , and even though their players dont possess natural talents like us , they managed to scores from counter because they dont play this rubbish "build up all the way back from the GK" football. We just needs to play an effective football!

soul24rage repped this.