FIFA World Cup 2018: Argentina vs. Nigeria - June 26 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 16, 2018.

1. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Still, you need to win to qualify so why sit back!!! Btw your harsh on Meza. Yes, he’s not the most talented but the kid can play. Got us a pk against Iceland and deserved one today as well. Runs behind the lines better than most and is a solid passer. He’s no Lanzini but can provide a different dynamic to the midfield.

cigar_city repped this.
  2. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    #552 wangballer, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Dont think it has been talked about much yet but Rojo was actually quite good today aside from his goal. Gets a lot of flak here for stupid plays and being terrible defensively. However one thing that is really incredible about this guy is he has a confidence that a lot of players on this team usually lacks. This was probably one of the most intense games of his career and he actually had the nerve to do body faints and dribble past the Nigerian fwds who were pressing him lol. Prob gave every fan a heart attack each time cuz losing it meant a clear break-away for Nigeria. But the fact he had the balls to do that under today's circumstances was really astonishing. Sure he is a knucklehead that costs his team time to time with dumb decisions (getting red in the Copa final *facepalm*) but at least he never cowers with fear unlike ......

cigar_city, Burr and locoxriver repped this.
  3. mistert06

mistert06 Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Hah, Cantor goes hoarse:

Sounds like a goat by the last one

Burr repped this.
  4. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    BBC post match says they played good. You save they play undeserving. I'm in the middle.

5. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Marcos Rojo: "During halftime, Messi said that all of us have the duty to score so whenever we get the chance, we shoot, no matter our position... So when I saw that ball coming towards me, I kicked it in with all that I had in me and [laughs] it went in!"

6. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Messi has become the greatest dribbler of all time at World Cups, in terms of dribbles completed.

Most completed dribbles in World Cup since 1966:

1- Messi 107 (18 games)
    2- Maradona 105 (21 games)
    3- Jairzinho 78
    4- Kempis 61
    5- Robben 56

Bada Bing, NussMasri, barcaq8 and 5 others repped this.
  7. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013

BBC pundits have been telling ppl for the past 50 years that England will win every WC.

8. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's me at 11 seconds in.....:D My fiancee was worried by the decibel level.....

johnbarley2, cigar_city and Christina99 repped this.
  9. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The kid needs someone like Lo Celso to play with him. He did look a little nervous initially but he has plenty of ability. Let's not jump on him after what is his third cap. Even Leo had the nerves in his first few. We are throwing them into the crucible. Let's hope they forge a body of steel for the future.

10. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not on the BBC, tabloid media like The Sun, The Mirror etc etc that sort of gutter trash journalism.

11. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Partidazo!!!

Both goals by us were incredible, and the winner with three minutes left felt like the stadium shook.

I’ve never yelled a goal like Rojo’s today, it was an out of body experience LOL. We can beat France.

12. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #562 Buffonfan, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    tbh, one thing Argentina lack is the determination like how Germany is, Germany they determine till the last second on the clock.. I'm NOT Germany fan at all, in fact I dislike them very much due to their stuck up. But one thing what help them succeeded is no matter how much hardship ahead of them, they determine till the end, their never give up attitude.

Sure I'm sure they feel damn down and stress when Mexico beat them 1-0, and Sweden first goal against them, and till tied 1-1, they still not give up, their must score attitude.

I wish wish Argentina have this determination, the never give up--"naturally" it just doesn't seem to come naturally on Argentina side. Seem like Argentina need to be press in order to perform the best, like how this game is a life of death game of whether they go home or not, and look they improve vastly as compared to the previous match against Croatia.

Argentina can go far, they tallented, they just lack the determination. And Argentina just doesn't seem to deal well when they under stress.

I was rooting for Sweden through and through, so happy when they get their first goal, but seem like luck on Germany side. And I'm rooting Germany losing (never was their fan, never is, and never will be).
    But I got to give them credit for their never give up attitude. I wish Argentina have that, which I'm sure they have, it in there, it just for some reason it just not bringing it out.

eta: And sorry, I'm Chinese, forgive me for my not so good English. I'm a huge fan of Italy team, and I like Argentina alot. Don't like Germany.

Hope Argentina make it to the quarter-finals.

Christina99 repped this.
  13. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    He’s also better on the left than the right but again he was told to play a combo role (Banega/DiMaria) against Croatia and its too much to ask any player to do everything. Thats why the pressure was on because he was trying to link the lines but also create off the dribble on the wing. Sampaoli has to take blame for the first two matches no the players. Almost everyone was out of position.

14. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    By the way, Rojo carrying Messi to the corner flag is an image for Argentine football history. The stuff that legends are made of.

ShortyMac, cigar_city and Christina99 repped this.
  16. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My god...

LocoxRiver start the thread vs. France!

soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ShortyMac, barcaq8, cigar_city and 2 others repped this.
  18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  19. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Argentina forever ;)

upload_2018-6-26_17-45-31.png

ShortyMac, Christina99 and Burr repped this.
  20. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Marcos Rojo, take a bow!

21. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Two of them played professionally in the top leagues and in the World Cup. I'm pretty sure their opinion is more than a pundit or someone with an opinion over the internet.

22. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You were our lucky charm from the stadium!!!!!

cigar_city, soul24rage, Burr and 2 others repped this.
  23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sandinista repped this.
  24. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Save this sh1t for Friday, chief, just savor the flavor of a backs to the wall win. Try to, anyway.

25. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This picture is awesome IMG_20180626_215123.jpg

SupaMario, soul24rage, ShortyMac and 6 others repped this.