FIFA World Cup 2018: Argentina vs. Nigeria - June 26 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, he's almost 35 now, I mean back in his glory days. He won infinite number of titles with inifinite number of clubs but his goalscoring ability is never there in NT after Pekerman's day.

Burr and locoxriver repped this.
  2. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I did see Zanetti on the coverage sitting up in the gods quite appropriately. He is part of the AFA now. He should be involved in the active running of it along with people like Valdano. People with intelligence, sensitivity and a love of the Argentine game. The way it should be played. Tango ball.

Rattlehead and Burr repped this.
  3. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    You have to take the good with the bad with mascherano at this age. Good: extreme leadership quality, good long range passes and extreme hustle. Bad: silly mistakes and passes

cigar_city repped this.
  4. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Di Maria was good and Banega was sublime. Problem is where was these two in the first game? Di Maria looked nothing like the ghost against Iceland. Tbh realistically this team still doesn't have the quality to win. The likes of Banega and Di Maria would need to play like today here on out and they always disappear after a good game. Seriously hope that not the case

cigar_city repped this.
  5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True , but to be fair, Messi also got stripped from the ball multiple times, and gave away some of his passes. Then again, he's a forward so he need to try to get rid from his marker more often.

charlie15 repped this.
  6. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soul24rage repped this.
  7. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    To all the haters, FUUuuCccccKkkkk Youuuuu

soul24rage, Pipiolo, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  8. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They do better when they have space like against nigeria, that wasn't the case vs iceland who freaking parked the bus

9. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  10. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Banega had a similar deadly pass to Di Maria but the Nigerian clipped him at the top of the box and should have been red carded.

11. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    To be fair to Masche after he gave the ball away he did make some nice desperation tackles to make up for it. But i agree he looks like a ticking time bomb out there. Masche should never have been a starter for this WC but blame Biglia for not being able to do a job a 35 year old Masche can still do satisfactorily

NussMasri, soul24rage, Burr and 2 others repped this.
  12. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I will take him any day of the week anyhow. He probably gave the ball away about a baker's dozen times. Along the same lines, he came in several times with life saving slides at the top of the box. His energy was great, and as always, there's no question on who the leader of this team is. I never have nor ever will love a gayina like I love Masch.

If they replicate the first half performance for a full game, it will be very difficult to beat them. God damn Higuain. Why does he have to have that one fatal flaw? He really would be a great partner for Messi, if it wasn't for the whole sticking his fingers down his throat in big games.

13. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    He most certainly did. He is so freaking good, when he's on.

NussMasri, cigar_city and johnbarley2 repped this.
  14. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Yeah that makes sense for Banega. But Di Maria legit didn't make a single run at defenders in that Iceland game lol. Hope he woke up at least cuz today he showed he is still dangerous when hes at the top of his game

Pavon had some really nice dribbles after coming on. At this point he is kinda raw to be a starter so being a super sub is actually fitting. Meza though should not play again in this WC. Either he doesnt have the quality (never watched him play before) or hes way too nervous. Thats 3 games now where he didnt do anything and lost possession too cheaply

15. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I am thinking higuain first half to tire defenders and play physical and Aguero second half. You shouldn't keep higuain on the pitch in crunch time.

This team can still peak much higher. All we asked for was some continuity in term of players and formation. I hope sampaoli got the ********en message now. By the way Tagli is very impressive.

16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If only it become reality... the future will be much brighter.

I dont have high expectation but still feel a big relieve because at least we got to KO stage and finally gets a victory.

17. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    I think Pavon should start in Enzo’s spot. As good as Enzo was, we need more offense on that flank against a really good French team.

18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would not call it flawless...It was much more engaged, energetic than the last two games but we were pretty wasteful and Mashe was really bad in CM.

19. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Not sure if Masche can protect the back four by himself well enough at this point. He has been alright so far but France is not Nigeria. They have too many players that can punish you so even tho Perez should not be starting the midfield needs his defensive qualities becuz no one else offers that at this point. Biglia is the only other "defensive-minded" mf

soul24rage repped this.
  20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its risky to start with too much offensive player when you dont have midfielder capable of dominating possession against strong side. I think Pavon can replace Di Maria or Enzo in second half. Afterall, he can play in both flanks. Pavon acceleration can destroy opponents tired legs.

However, we might need to put Pavon in quicker than today, I'd say at 50 minutes mark.

anyway, In every WC, Nigeria gives us 3 points :D

21. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    They’re not as fast as Nigeria. You don’t need to sit back the way Enzo did because of lack of pace.

22. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This was the first time that I saw Messi doing this, but it was really great to see.

23. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Guys I cant believe it, Im still crying , I ve been wanting to post here since the match ended and rep everything you guys posted but this page wasnt working

24. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    MESSI AND ROJO

HEROES!!!

:)

25. aerez

aerez Member+