FIFA World Cup 2018: Argentina vs. Iceland - June 16 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mascherano and Biglia together means we will not be able to control the game as we want to. Hopefully Sampaoli realizes this at the half, otherwise another agonic 1-0 win.

2. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    It will be argentina-bosnia all over again, hopefully Iceland scores an own goal or something.

3. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    So its been about an entire month of training now and Dybala is still not part of the starting lineup? How good is Meza that you have to keep Dybala out lol. He would be playing out of position but that left foot......

4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dybala is a waste of space when he's out of position. You have to play him close to goal.

5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dybala seems to be a last resort for Sampa, like if we're stuck and couldnt score for extended period or have other forwards injured/unfit.

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have a feeling Dybala will gain the starting spot by the third match.

7. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Why was Dybala as a false 9 never tried then? Knock on wood, but we all know Aguero is gonna get hurt at some point and sure dont want to see Higuain again

Rattlehead repped this.
  8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Di Maria and Aguero most likely will get injured , at least one of them will not be 100% fit by the time we get to QF (if we get there). Argentina always had key players injured during major tournaments and those two are the most injure prone compare to the rest.

9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dybala can play as a 9 and perhaps Sampa will play Dybala on a whim. He's far too talented not to play but we will see Sampa's pattern with his subs in the first couple of games.

10. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    My only fear is that backline even with Fazio playing. It feels too slow for counter attacks. Also, Meza needs to offer way beyond his abilities to replace Lanzini. Its a test and a challenge.

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It would be depend on how we're pressing on the attack. Sabella didnt have fast defenders at his disposal but his midfield and defence rarely commited to charge forward.

12. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    First off putting in Meza is not a step down from Lanzini. When the team played he along with Lo Celso more than matched that Spanish midfield. They were creative as a pair and were not overawed. Granted he is pushing 26 but for a debut it was a great performance and if played anywhere across that front three he will rise to the occasion.

I would much prefer Lo Celso instead of one of Biglia or Mascherano. There needs to be a midfielder able to dictate play from deep and carry the ball when required.

It might be that Mascherano is deployed in that role instead but I don't feel comfortable with the idea of Biglia shielding the defence. Rather Masche did that with Lo Celso as the more progressive of the pair. After all we don't want Messi dropping deep do we. Upfront I think it will be very fluid which is ideal. The players need to create space for each other and if they do Messi will thrive and they will thrive. There is plenty of pace and skill to beat anyone.

As for the defence it looks like Sampaoli wants to play from the back but the defence must play percentage football and not try Hollywood football as one moment of tomfoolery could cost the side especially against a team that bunkers.

If in doubt clear it out and reorganize. I am sure there will be changes in the first game. Despite it being a group game Samp will be experimenting still to an extent. I think players will emerge in the tournament like Lo Celso, the right FB will be dictated by the opposition strength as will the Fazio/Rojo role over speed. We will be expected to play higher against Iceland so Rojo's speed will be a factor. And at some point a raging Dybala will come on and want to show what he can do although he must not try too hard as that too can lead to poor play. Just do the basics correctly and everything will take care of itself.

I sincerely hope that all the coaching has made it's way into the players heads that they remember what they have been taught that no team can live with movement off the ball. I hope that they have practiced a variety of set pieces with different takers and that they are in peak condition. For once I think Messi and Kun for example are in their prime. And Messi by himself means we don't need a high press. He exerts a soft press all by himself. The crucial area will be around halfway on the pitch when both di Maria, Meza even Kun will be asked to sink in and either Masche/Lo Celso/Biglia to act in concert to force turnovers. Which is always the best chance for creating goals.

I however am disappointed that the deadline for changing players has passed and with Banega there are question marks that Sampaoli did not perhaps call up a replacement. Perhaps the medical staff have indicated he will be ready for the next round.

As for Perez I think if he can recover his form he would be invaluable. A midfield tandem of him, Lo Celso and Mascherano offers creativity and defence at the same time and all three although it might be taxing for Masche could play box to box and offer the front three real support and a real scoring threat too to catch opposition defences unaware coming from deep at the edge of the box.

cigar_city and Rattlehead repped this.
  13. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Meza’s pressing is not as good as Lanzini. Yes, we’re not downgrading offensively with him but we will be downgrading defensively. Lanzini has a quick burst when recovering which is something none of our other midfielders possess at the moment.

Pipiolo repped this.
  14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This guy is still playing, so expect another moment like that.:thumbsup:

15. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Biglia-masch set to start. The idea is for masch to cover for salvio who will be pushing. Hoping for a minute 60 sub with lo celso coming in for biglia. I am sure Tagliafaco will also be pushing and we will be essentially playing 3 men defense with masch slotting in.

16. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm as excited as a kid on Xmas morning about the world cup. Then I read Biglia will be playing against Iceland and all the joy has been crushed out of me.

Pipiolo repped this.
  17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Leon, much love always, but man your pessimism is always off the charts. I am not stoked about Biglia either, but damn all your posts are always drowning in negativity.

Un poquito de fe, viejo! La vida no es solo sufrir

cigar_city, Pipiolo and SupaMario repped this.
  18. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol, I prefer to see it as being realistic rather than pessimism. But I know that come Saturday I'm goung to be ridiculously excited.

locoxriver repped this.
  19. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is just a statement of fact, before you have a go at me Loco:D, but we have the oldest squad at the world cup, average age 29 years and 6 months. Seven of the line up against Iceland are 30 or over.

20. fero

fero Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Germany winned 2014 with only 3 over 30yo player, Argentina have 13 over 30 in 2018.
    We did have a old team and then, we lost Lanzini 25 and replace it with Enzo Perez 32.
    Maradona win 1986 with 25yo, Bochini also was there wth 32...

21. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's more about later in the tournament, assuming we progress, then we will need younger, quicker players, Dybala and Lo Celso are 2 options. That's one of the reasons it was so disappointing Icardi wasn't selected.

22. jaimito11

jaimito11 Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    #47 jaimito11, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Ok everyone's hating on Biglia, and yea, I would also prefer others at this point. But what if Messi had finished his chance in the WC Final in 2014? Biglia would have had a pretty good assist; would we be more forgiving then? Just saying...

cigar_city repped this.
  23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No, because his other contribution has always been non existent. Mario Gotze scored winning goal and he wasnt sellected for this WC because his form is not good enough , meanwhile Argentina sellected a guy who offers nothing in last 4 years and probably created 1-2 assists in last 8 years. Just sayin...

Replace Biglia with another player, you'd created alot more chances. In fact , Argentina stop scoring and chances were minimum when Gago was injured and replaced by Biglia. Germany did not score until 113 minutes but they keep generating chances, something that players like Biglia never does.

soul24rage repped this.
  24. jaimito11

jaimito11 Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Where does Acuna fit in with this team? I thought Sampa brought him as a defender, specifically left-back, but Tagliafico is there. And if he's not available, there's also Ansaldi and even possibly Rojo. I like Acuna, just wondering if we'll actually see him play.

25. jaimito11

jaimito11 Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Fair enough. That's one thing I admire about the German team approach - "What have you done for me lately?"

soul24rage and Rattlehead repped this.