FIFA World Cup 2018: Argentina vs. Croatia - June 21 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 12, 2018.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Damn@RiverGaucho, you sound old as dirt, and I wonder if you yell at kids to get off your lawn.:D.

I do agree with you about on Nico. As I have said for many years now, the kid has what it takes to be a leader and he has always showed that. Not only is he talented but is a respectful person.

2. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL, everyone in my neighbourhood honking cause of Nigerias victory, when did we became so pathetic? world cup finalists, 3 international tournaments back to back finalist and now this??? PATHETIC

Worse thing is that we depend on ourselves to get to the round of 16, we only have to beat nigeria to do so. And i don't even think we can beat nigeria, tbh. In normal circunstamces, yeah, sure, Now: NAH

Longest agony ever

Albiceleste2010, charlie15 and SupaMario repped this.
  3. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Christina lighten up a bit. It's ok. Portugal barely made it in euro and ended up winning after 3 shit performances. We will make it just believe or don't watch.

4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Portugal had the benefit of the Euros expanding to 24 teams and 3 teams could get out of the group. Had the Euros stayed at 16 teams, Portugal would be out but hey, they took advantage of the lifeline and won it. Granted, they played defense and we can’t, unless we go to a back 4, and I hope this gives the players motivation to go out and lay it on the line, from the coach to the players.

5. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At this point, I only care about Messi. It´s a shame he would be out of the WC, maybe forever, with a match like the one against Croatia. Let the guy score 3 on tuesday even if Nigeria scores 4, he deserves better than a bunch of muertos and an insane coach.

barcaq8, NussMasri, cigar_city and 2 others repped this.
  6. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with RiverGaucho on the tattoos and whatnot. I wish our guys didn't look so trashy. Not that I always judge by the cover and if they are a high character person otherwise then fine but a lot of these guys are not. I just want a more professional attitude in general regardless what they look like, but sometimes it's a good proxy.

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is time for our players to start growing out their hair again. Every couple years I do so, and it is always been something I've loved to do, and I am lucky, still in my 30's and I have all of my hair(One of my great fears in life is going bald. Now after seeing Sampa and Willy, I will make it my mission in life to never go bald).

Volrath, Burr and RiverGaucho repped this.
  8. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My hair line is receding but if I have to I will probably go the Mascherano look instead of shaving it clean, lol.

9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mascherano is an absolute beast. What can you say about the guy? Even being 90 years old and way past his prime, he was the only one playing with balls and courage. We'd have 3 more WCs right now if everyone on our team possessed this guy's mentality.

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just like I said in my previous post... Goal difference could be the difference in this group, meanwhile Mascherano is still pleading for off sides in Rakatic's goal...

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but Mascherano is supposed to be the lion, the heart of the team and his lack of effort could cost us. The only reason he is supposed to be in the side is to provide the hustle and desire, something he completely lacked all match.

barcaq8 repped this.
  11. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What game were you guys watching @locoxriver and @Rattlehead

No heart or desire from Mascherano just standing there asking for off sides

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I admit that last play was shameful (wtf was he thinking?), but the rest of the game he was one of the few that actually did well for us. He ran the whole field, played with full courage, and even helped in the creation of attack. What more could you ask for? He did muuuuuch more than a lot of his teammates combined, even though he's practically a retired player by now.

Rattlehead repped this.
  13. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The problem is, that third goal could be crucial. If we somehow beat Nigeria 1-0 and Iceland beat Croatia 1-0- lets not forget the beat them twice in qualifying so its more than possible- we are out because of the goal in stoppage time. Its inexcusable.

I agree he does show heart, but lets not forget Tafliafico fought till the end too. The rest of the team, especially the captain Messi, had given up as soon as Modric's goal hit the back of the net

Moishe and locoxriver repped this.
  14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm with you there.

Even worse, Sampaoli thought he was playing FIFA on PS4 after Caballero's blunder. I know we needed the win, but putting 4 forwards out of panic wasn't the solution. I think we all knew where the game was headed at that point. Just ******** the goal difference, right?

15. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    SAMPANICO from now on.

Pipiolo and soul24rage repped this.
  16. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Excellent post. I say 2014 in very large part because that group were 4 minutes from PKs and winning.

As far as talent Argentina were loaded from 1998-2014. So many great players all at once playing at big clubs. Now it's a huge shortage. Talent wise this team is awful everywhere except for forwards where they have too many players for two starting positions.

johnbarley2 repped this.
  17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting interview of Omar Da Fonseca in France Football (in french). I translated a bit in English. He made a lot of sense. He also support Burruchaga taking over the team.

With Jorge Sampaoli as conductor of this sad spectacle. What do you think of his action?
    Sampaoli, when he was in Chile, I loved him. He seemed much more humble and sensitive to me than today. For a while, he has been a smoke salesman. Yesterday, he ended up insulting the opponents ... Yes, he wanted to transmit this passionate side. I want to understand the rage we can have, the desire to want to break everything. But we always felt that there was no real organization with him. From the moment there is no guideline, no convictions ...

What choices do you think are difficult to defend at this World Cup?
    Mascherano only plays because his name is Mascherano. This has been an excellent element. But everyone, from the playoffs, had seen that he had been bad. I do not want to know why we kept this kind of thing. What I want is to know why we took guys like Salvio, Acuna, Meza, Tagliafico, Biglia ... Biglia! During the Copa America or the playoffs, he was a snail! Rojo! He has played just four games at Manchester United this season. And then we try to play a game where we have to bring the ball cleanly out of the back with guys like Mercado or Otamendi!
    https://www.francefootball.fr/news/...monde-sampaoli-est-un-vendeur-de-fumee/914266

SupaMario, johnbarley2 and Moishe repped this.
  18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Biglia is slower than a snail.

19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree, we were so stacked for WC10 but had Diego as manager. Your lineup is good but I think Riquelme should have been in midfield to give the team a touch of class, he would be supported by Masche and either Cambiasso or Lucho. Your forward line is on point, perhaps consider Tevez for DiMaria as at that time he was really a top player in the world.

charlie15 repped this.
  20. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Riquelme was a headcase at that point. I like my 2 box to box midfielders (Cambiasso and Enzo) who could score goals, run, and tackle.
    Always start tough.
    Bring Riquelme if we're confortable in defense but stil need to score.

Need Di María for width (Messi will be cutting in and Milito occupying the box) and for counters.

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The days of JRR, he was the one who got the stick from the media and some fans. The story always went, if JRR played great, we would win, if he played poorly, we would lose. This feels like a century ago...

22. Amuseddaysleeper

Jul 8, 2014
    Sadly just beating Nigeria won't be enough, we will need to beat them by a bigger scoreline than Iceland beats Croatia.

Croatia will be fielding a B squad for the final group stage match

23. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    There is no sadly it will be enough
    Croatia B is still strong
    They will beat Iceland just watch

24. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just have to tie them.

25. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #725 Gilbertsson, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Croatia will have players without yellow cards against Iceland. But I still think, that it's an easy game against Iceland. Everything less than 1 point, would be horrible. Croatia wants to keep the good atmosphere. Not nice to go in the knock out stage after defeat.
    Rakitic, Brozovic, Vrsaljko, Rebic, Mandzukic, Corluka have yellow cards.
    Corluka was on the bench anyway. Coach won't experiment with defenders a lot, because this is the weakest spot in the team.
    Instead of Rakitic, probably Badelj. He was at the press conference today, so this menas that he is the starter.
    We can expect Kovacic, talented, Real Madrid, but he has only individual quality.
    Also, Marko Pjaca could be instead of Mandzukic, which is even worse for Iceland, because Pjaca is more technical.
    So, I don't think it's a real B team. 3-4 changes with players who have similar quality like players in the first two rounds.

Argentina has a great chance to qualify. I wrote much earlier, that you need to place goalkeeper and defenders with Italian origins..so Armani instead of Caballero.:D And Tagliafico, Ansaldi, Fazio as defenders. You'll need only three defenders. Ajax bought Tagliafico, this means a lot in European circles.
    Argentina won four times against Nigeria on previous World Cups, not sure why this fear. They literally score own goals and make penalty fouls. Someone will fall: Di Maria maybe.:rolleyes:

Coach should just place Higuain as CF, Aguero as LAM, Dybala as RAM, Di Maria and Messi slightly behind. No need for experimenting with Meza, Biglia...

Messi needs to stop coaching this team and he needs to stop selecting players, with who he can play?? Insane attitude. He isn't modest at all, like media wrote before 10 years. In Barcelona, he brought Martino, removed few players out of the team, that's why Barcelona is weak in the Champions League. Maradona should become part of history - finally. Without comparison of Maradona, Messi era. Remember Messi and his gesture during anthem against Croatia, scratching his forehead. One day, he could get some mental disorder because of media and fans.
    Maradona had Troglio, Burruchaga, Basualdo, Sensini, Ruggeri...Messi has Biglia and Meza. Not the same. The Golden Generation of Lionel Messi was World Cup 2006, 2010, 2014.

Iceland pushed Croatia in additional qualifications for this World Cup, another motivation reference against Iceland.
    Coach of Iceland knows Croatia extremely well, every possible feeling, atmosphere, unity, advantages, their teeth quality. After all, he is dentist in sense of occupation.

Pekerman repped this.