FIFA World Cup 2018: Argentina vs. Croatia - June 21 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 12, 2018.

1. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Acuna was actually alright imo. Took on multiple defenders and tried to do as much as he could. Basically did what Di Maria was supposed to do. Salvio on the other hand was pretty bad although nobody can blame him cuz he was played out of position. Let his man run behind him multiple times and pretty much clueless defensively while not offering much in attack, which was the reason why he was even selected

2. NussMasri

NussMasri Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah, I would have expected Di Maria at some point.

3. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I give Acuna points for effort but tactically I think he was the wrong choice. We needed midfielders not wingers.

4. NussMasri

NussMasri Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We literally have one of the best goal scorers on the planet, but he gets nowhere near the goal...lol...this is insanity

barcaq8 repped this.
  5. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    #580 Pekerman, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Sabella would have won this 1-0

This makes me appreciate how well we played last time. We were an amazing team. Sabella is a legend

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pipiolo repped this.
  7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #582 Rattlehead, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Everyone has different physics. Yea, Zidane still play at 34-35, Zanetti won treble at 35, Klose won WC finally at 36, breaking Ronaldo record in the process, but I can only see Messi playing as midfielder if he does end up still playing for NT till 34-35. He doesnt have that strength and acceleration like he used to, at least from what we saw recently, let alone at mid 30.

Do I think Messi should still be playing ? no, not because I dislike his recent performance, but because it will only hurt him and his family even further everytime we lose. When we win, he'd take the credit , when we lose, he'd take all the blame. Unfair treatment.

If Messi or the fans still wants to play in next WC, then he should skip qualifier at least till only few games left.

The new team will NOT improve as long Messi still become the vocal point because the natural tendency Argentina manager and players to rely on him to do his magic tricks.

8. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Said this during his 2014 campaign and kept saying it up until now. Sabella made a team out of a bunch of players. Adversaty hit hard with injuries and fitness, yet he was still able to take us to a final with guys like Biglia.

A coach is someone who can create a system based on the available talent not just enforce a system upon that talent.

Christina99, Burr and Rattlehead repped this.
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina dont have same type of players that Chile has. Players that could run tirelessly and pressing throughout 120 minutes if needed. Yesterday, only Salvio and Mascherano that keeps running throughout the game, the rest was static as usual, including Messi.

When our wingers stuck near the touchline, there should be at least 1-2 players that getting close to them and play triangle passes. Instead , our players has always been so far apart from each other that you cant make anything work with that! When Willy tried to made that clumsy pass to Mercado... Mercado was mile away from the rest of the team that its basically a useless pass even he didnt mess it up.

10. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Yeah I meant Messi in a midfield role. He might still be able to play as a 10 like the guy Chile (cant remember his name) had in 2015 copa

11. NussMasri

NussMasri Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's a good point about the triangle passes.

I want to be hopeful that the team will continue, but who is to say we can even beat Nigeria. We barely get into scoring positions, and the last time I checked you need goals in this sport.

Rattlehead repped this.
  12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We conceided just one goal at KO stage, despite 3 games went into ET. You dont get any better than that in term of solid defence.

13. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    If he had a healthy Di Maria and Aguero for the whole tournament, he would have for sure won it. The guy made Biglia very effective.

14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, oddly enough, Messi still score countless goals for Barca this season as usual. He still able to kill Real madrid in every Classico, so his teammates performance and his own mentallity played huge role for sure.

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Biglia hardly made any noticable contribution. It was Gago in midfield that carried us all the way to QF until he got injured. Messi started to shift back to midfield when Gago wasnt there because Biglia dont have passing ability and he never run that much . But yea, no matter who's playing, the team looked solid in midfield and at the back during that time.

You can have the worst players but still get decent result if playing as a unit. We've seen that from time to time especially in this WC where no favorites almost beat the big teams everytime.

16. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    No offense my man, maybe it's the wine, no clue what point you're trying to emphasize in this (latest) odd post.

17. NussMasri

NussMasri Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Guys, seriously. How can we get Messi into more scoring positions. He's one of the best finishers in the world right? Last time I checked, he had most goals for Barca and Argentina.

Do we need Dybala playing the no 10 with Messi as a striker? Just play Messi thru and he'll score a couple.

18. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    C'mon, Biglia played some great matches in qualifying and added a lot in the WC. Just cause he's old now doesn't mean he was always terrible.
    Do agree that Gago's injury was big cause he linked the defense and offense with quick long range passes. Enzo did a good job replacing him though. Di Marias injury was the worst as the final was made for him.
    But yes, regardless of who played, Sabella's defense was watertight and that was the difference.
    Playerd like Rojo, Fernández made their names under him.

cigar_city and Rattlehead repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not hard to understand. Messi played at walking pace throughout this game and just walking around hardly making any move when he's not on the ball, Biglia stuff.

20. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Strong, well disciplined back 4. 2 defensive midfielders and one all around midfielder. Quick attacks and no tiki taka.

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Unless Nigeria get a point or 3 from Iceland, Sampa probably gonna fields Dybala only in last quarter of the game and he will also field Higuain again for no reason.

22. NussMasri

NussMasri Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Where is Fernandez...And also Garray? They seem more stable than otemendi

23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its sad how we had become...

Look at the players movement and how quick we hit our opponents. No wonder we thrashed everyone in qualifier.

The goal against Switzerland was another example of a fast counter attack. No pause on that move, just one sweeping move forward. Today, we will get the ball and pause for 10 seconds.

24. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    That's our team????
    You sure???

Rattlehead repped this.
  25. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Garay has been our best central since Ayala. I don't have a clue if he's been out of form or what.
    Anyhow, more about the system. I think Sabella could have made Otamendi/Rojo/Fazio/whatever work well.