FIFA want lifetime bans for Blatter & Platini

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Sport Billy, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...ni-LIFE-confirms-UEFA-president-s-lawyer.html

Zarastro and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  2. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    irony. a modern day Oedipus i guess.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

Not sure you are correctly recalling the plot of that play.

4. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    lol. I was only referring to the tragedy part.

5. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well --- what evidence were we expecting to find? The issue is that everything was off the books --- if they do indeed find something in FIFA's financial statements that recorded this liability then the defense might have a case I guess. But I doubt they will find that.

The story (whitecloud, I know you are not taking the position of the story) sounds like a leak from a Blatter sympathizer. The following quote made me chuckle:

The paper said Platini had asked FIFA for his overdue salary at least twice in 2010 and that FIFA's finance chief had set aside money for the payment.
    This is the same finance chief that they tried to pin the $10M South Africa payment to Warner on, right? The one who is conveniently deceased? AND --- even if the above quote is true --the question is still why did it take until 2010 for Platini to ask for his overdue salary?

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Finding "no evidence of corruption" doesn't equate to saying the funds were duly deserved, either, let alone invite speculation of how hard they were digging. This is the beauty behind slush funds and open accounts for select individuals to spend at their discretion. I realize there is the precedent of innocent before proven guilty, but from a business stand point there is the genuine interest in making sure all funds are directed toward legitimate investments/expenses, and that's where so much FIFA money flows into vague discretionary accounts and projects.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The way the whole operation has been conducted, with the press making a big deal of the arrests of the small fish, is as if they wanted the big fish to get scot free out of it. The moment they started arresting the little ones, that fat cats started burning evidence.

I bet in the end only the weakest links will do any time, and none of the big names will suffer anything beyond early retirement to their villas, to enjoy the stolen moneys.

"An internal investigation of suspended FIFA President Joseph 'Sepp' Blatter has found no evidence..." is hilarious. I just investigated myself and found no evidence that I'm slacking on the job.

Chesco United and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  9. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    msilverstein47 repped this.
  10. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we can all take a moment in order to thank good ole' Chuckie Blazer for not paying his taxes which started this ball rolling downhill...only wish that Chuckie could be rolled downhill into the muck and mire with all of his cronies.

12. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well, I wonder how much his terminal illness influenced his decision to cooperate as well. Staring death in the face can make a person re-think some of their decisions.

13. Mr Globe

Mr Globe Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Platini just makes me laugh. This is what he's asking people to believe:

- He did some legitimate consulting work for FIFA
    - He was owed a payment of $2 million
    - There was no documentation of the work or the amount owed to him
    - He was ok waiting around 9 years to be paid

Not that there's any chance of that being true but if it was he should still be banned for life for being the biggest f***ing moron on the planet.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I was such a fan of Michel as a kid. Sad to see a hero fall that hard.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    You go to jail for one *definitely* illegal payment, not for a thousand *possibly* illegal ones.

J

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sepp Blatter, the former president of FIFA, and Michel Platini, his onetime ally, were cleared of wrongdoing over a secret $2 million payment that prosecutors had labeled a bribe. nyti.ms/3Rk16W3

19. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    how much does a swiss judge go for these days?

20. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Both Blatter an Platini are always welcome to celebrate with their Conmebol pals.
    [​IMG]

majspike repped this.