FIFA U17 World Cup Referees

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Englishref, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    A couple of names so far.

UEFA

Wolfgang Stark, Volker Wezel, Jan Hendrik-Salver (GER)
    Howard Webb, Darren Cann, Mike Mullarkey (ENG)

I find it odd that Howard is off to another FIFA tournament. I thought all the WC candidates did just the one tournament. Never mind. Darren Cann's chance to shine this time, with Peter Kirkup left behind.

2. PawRef

PawRef New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the U.S. as long as nothing gets screwed up it should be Jair Marrufo, CJ Morgante, and Kermit Quisenberry

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm wrong (and if you're certain that this is happening, just tell me), but I think you're making three big assumptions.

The first is that we will send a crew to this tournament. In the recent past, we've got someone sent to one of the youth tournaments, but not both.

The second is that Quisenberry is back tied to Marrufo. It's possible, but I haven't heard this, yet, and it would be a reverse of course.

And the third is an assumption that I (perhaps mistakenly) made a couple weeks ago--and that is that all crews at these tournaments will be WC candidates. It hasn't been announced yet, but it's possible that there is a different American crew going to a different youth tournament this fall. If we're sending two crews, then I'll be happily mistaken.

4. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kermit spoke at our recert yesterday and stated that he, CJ, and Jair are still on the short list for WC2010.

5. PawRef

PawRef New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed Chrisrun. CJ talked at ours as on Saturday and he says the crew is still on the list

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. I have no doubt that Marrufo is still on the official list. My questions/points would be the following:

In 2005/6, there weren't "crews" on the list. There were referees that were publicly announced with three ARs tied to them (which were officially not public, but could be figured out pretty easily). That way if one AR failed the fitness test, the whole crew wasn't sunk. I know Morgante and Quisenberry were clearly #1 and #2 at the beginning of this process, but I had heard Quisenberry wasn't necessarily in the top 2 anymore and that, during his recent absence, "auditions" (for lack of a better word) were being conducted to see who would fill that spot. If Quisenberry is back on track with the crew, then that's great for him, because I think he definitely deserves to be there.

My second point is something that I'll say bluntly now: I've heard FIFA has selected an American crew for one of these tournaments and that the crew is not headed by Marrufo (I have no idea who the ARs are, by the way). This is in direct contradiction from what I believed a few weeks ago, but the multiple sources I've got this information from are pretty certain of it's veracity. If it's true, I really have no clue what it means for Marrufo's chances to 2010, but I imagine it can't be good.