FIFA U-20 World Cup: Korea Republic 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by BocaFan, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I say late bloomer for England because his first call up last year in May to the U19s. Perhaps he was a standout at club level, but not internationally.

Abraham, who could've gone to this tournament, has come out of nowhere the last two years and scored 26 goals (23 in the Championship) for Bristol City.

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Interestingly enough the England team has 6 players of Nigerian origin.

3. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    ...por los siglos de los siglos, amen.

...forever and ever, amen

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Unfortunately there is so much obsession from Nigerians about this at the moment that it's getting extremely boring. Don't think they can grasp the multicultural society that we live in these days.

5. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Waller got injured in the first game and is out for the whole tournament.

Soteldo is a brilliant player, I hope he doesn't play :p haha

6. Gerlestat

Gerlestat Member

Manchester United
    Venezuela
    Oct 31, 2011
    Chile
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    #331 Gerlestat, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    When Soteldo is not playing is like Peñaranda becomes Super Sayayin... So believe me, it is better for Uruguay if Soteldo plays than having one player who faced Ramos and Piqué, who scored 16 goals in Europe First Divisions (La Liga, Serie A and Premier League) and is the youngest player who scored 2 goals in the same game in La Liga in Super Sayayin's mode...

You faced this Venezuelan players before, including Soteldo, but your players never faced Peñaranda, and never saw him in Super Sayayin's Mode heheehe

Waller was out for all the tournament tho, you made it to semifinals without him

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Not so much obsession as it is whether or not the players will end up playing for England or Nigeria. At least one player on this U20 England squad didn't make the U17 Nigerian team cut a few years back (Ovie Ejaria). Tammy Abraham is currently in a tug of war between Nigeria and England. Ola Aina, Alex Iwobi jumped ship to Nigeria. Ejaria could still go either way.

Also just interesting to note that with such a multicultural society Nigerian heritage players seem to dominate the English youth teams like never before. Its not like with France, where you have players of varying heritage. You have 6 players of first generation Nigerian heritage, 1 of Kenyan, the rest with a long English heritage.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Funny, at the start of the tournament I noted how this England reminded me of Nigeria in the way they played, before someone told me that half of the team is made of players of Nigerian heritage.

9. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    The bolded isn't true. He flew over there to participate in a training session but he wasn't cut he had to fly back for school committments. If Nigeria were good enough to cut players like Ejaria they would defiantly have qualified for this tournament and they probably wouldn't be chasing unexceptional prospects like Ola Aina. And the Tammy Abraham tug of war is looking pretty one sided: he already turned Nigeria down.

Your observation in the second paragraph comes down to demographics/immigration patterns. England has had a comparatively large amount of immigration from Nigeria in recent(ish) years. BTW, there's no one with Kenyan heritage on the England team but Onomah is part Ghanaian.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #335 zahzah, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Ola Aina is a defender and Nigeria never had too much of those. That's why most naturalisations are for defensive players.
    Ejaria is nowhere as good as Kelechi Nwakali and wouldn't really add to the Nigerian midfield. He was never going to start ahead of Nwakali, so at best he would have been a bench player. They have better prospects than him.

Nigeria didn't qualify for this tournament because of some internal FA induced issues prior to the Sudan away again. They would have had one of the strongest teams in this competition if they had qualified with Kelechi Nwakali, Victor Osimhen, Samuel Chukweuze, Kingsley Michael, Chidozie Awaziem, Dennis Bonaventure, Henry Onyekuru. Best forward line at minimum.

No, he hasn't. He's keeping his options open.

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Actually - Ejaria trained with the Iheanacho generation of players. Either way not good enough to start for either the 2013 or the 2015 teams. Nigeria had better options on the squad.

12. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I'm sure we'll see him break into the Arsenal squad next season then. Given he's superior to Ejaria and Ejaria made 8 Liverpool appearances this season before picking up an ankle injury, it's a forgone conclusion right? Or at the very least they should find him a significantly better loan than the Dutch second division where he spent this season.

Got a hotline through to his phone or something? Us mortals have to rely on the newspapers where you can read quotes from a representative of the Nigerian FA saying “He is keen on progressing through the ranks of the English national team set up."

Actually - I never said otherwise, good contribution.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was hoping you would fill in the blanks there, Marcho. You're an expert on that issue.

14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As long as Abraham and the other Nigerian-English players are starting for England then they will most likely stick with them.

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #340 zahzah, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Its not as simple - Kelechi Nwakali can't play for Arsenal because of work permit issues. That's why he'll likely go on loan again to the Bundesliga or Holland. He was deemed Arsenal's best loanee in 2016/2017 ahead of the likes of Asano, Chambers, Campbell, Akpom, Wilshere, Zelalem or Toral.

Your quote suggested otherwise, because the 2013 U17 Nigerian team should have played in the 2015 U20 World Cup, most players wouldn't be eligible for 2017.

16. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dimarco is still getting fit... pre tournament injury...

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Your summary leaves out the biggest game-changing moment: Italy were already playing with 10 men for 80 minutes of this match thanks to an extremely controversial decision! I would say it wasn't even a foul, but whatever. Things definitely evened out late in the second half when that stomping incident went unpunished (although Zambia still got an extra 45 minutes to play 11 v 10).

Anyway, I hope the Italian gets suspended for the rest of the tournament for that stomp. Either way though Italy will be very tough to beat. Hot goalkeeper, solid defense and dangerous attackers.

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The decision is only controversial if you don't believe there was a foul. Else its a DOGSO and red card according to the current rules.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    What does the "D" stand for in DOGSO?

Also a slight push where the player doesn't even go to the ground is almost never called in practice.

20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    DENYING AN OBVIOUS GOALSCORING OPPORTUNITY.

Fact is the Italian defender pulled the Zambian back and tripped him up. If you call the foul its a red card.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Tripped him? What match were you watching? The Zambian only went down later on a separate play (while rounding the 'keeper). He was still on his feet after being nudged by the defender, and the scoring chance was still alive. Hence no "denial" of a clear scoring opportunity.

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's what I saw too.

guri and calabrese8 repped this.
  23. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    OK. There is so much wrong with the post that I can't even start to dissect this. This is basic laws of the game.

First - what happened after the foul is irrelevant. The ref could have let play continue and then called back the foul. (Not to mention this was not a separate play - the Zambian was still off-balance due to the Italian defenders action).

Second - the Italian was the last defender (no, the GK doesn't count) and was bearing down on goal. This is a textbook DOGSO. Last defender fouls to prevent player from being one on one with the GK = as DOGSO as they come.

The fact that you are debating whether or not this is a DOGSO proves how limited understanding you have of the game.

The only thing that can be put under debate is whether or not it was a foul.
    If it was a foul then according to LAWS OF THE GAME:
    - DOGSO + foul inside the box = PK + YC
    - DOGSO + foul outside of box = FK + RC

Third
    Was is a foul? In my opinion yes. The Zambian was in full flight, the nudge put him off balance, the Italian also clipped the Zambians foot. It was a delicate foul, but it led to the DOGSO. The Zambian had no benefit from rounding the keeper and then falling when the goal was at his mercy.

As someone whose played the game I've had similar nudges - you get off-balance and your legwork fails you. You might even takes several more steps, but with each step you lose control.

So - we can debate whether or not it was a foul. Lets say that's a judgement call.
    Debating whether or not it was a DOGSO is just ignorant. If you agree its a foul, then its a DOGSO and a red card. Why? Becuase that unequivocally stated in the rule book.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Look at it again. He clearly recovers from whatever imbalance the push initially caused. Indeed it took him a few steps but he did recover.

So agree to disagree on this.

25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Agree to disagree on what?
    I agree to disagree on whether or not it was a foul. Even you above stated that there was a push, ergo a foul offence.
    I don't agree to disagree on whether or not it was a DOGSO + RC offence, as that isn't debatable. If its a foul, its a DOGSO and a red card.

In simple logic:
    Last defender + foul = DOGSO -> FK + RC v PK + YC.
    The only thing in the above sentence that is debatable is the foul. If its a foul (however innocuous) its FK + RC, ergo the ref was right.

Go to the referee section - the debate there is not whether or not the red card was a good call, but whether there was a foul in the first place.