FIFA U-20 WC Korean Republic 2017 (20 May -11June)

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Mar 16, 2017.

1. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    60 mins in its 1-0 Zambia

We have had way more possession and attacks and it has to be said that even 60 mins in this is the WORST FINISHING I have ever seen in a match. It's comical. If they come out and say they purposely were kicking the ball to the sky or wide of the net I would believe them because to miss that badly that often in one match is totally unbelievable.

3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    now 2-0 Zambia.

We should be winning 3 or 4-1. From Peixe's body language and mannerisms all game I can tell he is not the man for this job. I would be full of nerves too if I saw my coach like that all game.

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Unlike the past 2 U20 sides I don't see this team going far. Its very pretty football with no finishing ability.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2-1 Final a goal in injury time off a rebound. The sequence that lead to the goal was the 20th and 21st shot and those two shots were the 4th and 5th on target...keep in mind we shot a ton from inside the box many of which with the goal at our mercy.

6. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    2-1 loss, two soft goals given up.

We missed quite a few chances.

Diogo Dalot looks like a great fullback in the making and Ruben Dias is commanding at the back, a great CB.

Florentino Luis is a beast of a D-mid, hard to believe he's only 17

Everyone else was average, Jose Gomes was underwhelming.

Pedro Rodrigues should replace Gedson in that deeplaying role..and i want to see pedro delgado over Xadas as the #10

Ferro has to start over Fernandes to partner Dias. Fernandes was the obvious weak link, not sure why he started when Ferro has been a constant starter beforehand.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  7. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes Portugal missed quite a few chances the best falling to Gonçalves on a few occasions. Portugal need to improve considerably, Zambia the African Champions already look likely to progress from the group and were much more efficient today.

8. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    José Gomes, struggled and importantly none of the chances fell for him before he was replaced.

9. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I watched the first half of the game. This team looks awful. Diogo Goncalves is clearly an average player, despite having heard plenty about him. Not sure why he's the #7. 20 years old and no signs of even breaking into the Benfica first team, he was trying so hard to be Ronaldo last night.

10. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Jose Gomes no service gets subbed then we start playing the ball into the box Diogo Goncalves to sky it

11. mars078

mars078 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Dual Zambia and Portugal supporter here. First time I've seen them clash at any level.

I was actually expecting more from Portugal but I think they just had a slow start and will come good. I though they were well organised but lacked the usual Portuguese flair and precision.

This Zambian team has a lot of self belief and their main strength is their togetherness. The defence is below par so will need to make their attacks count.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  12. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am glad we lost, we have to keep up the tradition of starting off poorly and then trolling everyone in the end.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  13. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If you want to watch all the game highlights so far, this is Game One, they are about 2:30 minutes each and we are at Game 12 (about 30 mins in total)

14. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  15. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    18582578_1511254442247444_5984087288225296212_n.jpg

Portugal - Costa Rica
    Tomorrow Wednesday 24th 12:00

16. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    That Zambia match was just weird, so hopefully it's not representative of how this tournament goes for Portugal. I'm not sure I've seen a half with worse passing and possession than the first half of Portugal-Zambia. Then Portugal looked much better after halftime yet lost anyway. The space Portugal was given in the box should led to a couple more goals, but the finishing was frantic. They were one-timing shots they easily could have taken down and then fired off with plenty of time to spare.

I really liked watching Ruben Dias though. Seeing him attack balls in the air and clear them with headers shows he's got more than a little Pepe in him.

17. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Had to turn it off at the end of the first half, felt like I was watching a U-10 scrimmage. The majority of that team looks worthless and won't be anywhere near the Senior NT, aside from the likes of Jose Gomes and Diogo Dalot (the defense for the most part seemed fine) who are still really young.

But that #10 that plays for Braga? Not sure how the seemingly worst passer in the team is the #10. Diogo Goncalves should just fly back to Portugal to keep playing in the Segunda Liga. I still can't believe this kid is already 20, from the hype I hear you'd have thought he was 17. The #9, the Swiss kid, turns 20 years old in less than a month yet can only play for Zurich's B team... Moutinho was already captain of Sporting at that age. CR7 already played a Euro final. Rafa Silva was called up to the World Cup at that age, and yet here we are giving time and opportunities to clear scrubs without any hope in the world of making any impact in the future. I understand there is a Euro U21 coming up but Peixe and anyone else involved in this planning can f*ck right off.

18. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This has to be the worst youth Portugal team I have ever seen. Dalot is the only guy that will probably ever make the senior team, or maybe Gomes as well, I mean he's only 18. I think everyone else should be issued a 500 meter restraining order from the senior squad. It could also just be we are cursed in Korea. In true ironic fashion, watch us squeeze a win in the last game and make it all the way to the semi's, surpassing the 2015 team which was literally about 5 times more talented.

19. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I knew this after watching the first half against Zambia. It was so bad I knew I wouldn't waste any more time with this tournament. Terrible overall.

20. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Really poor side. I think all the best U20's are being reserved for the U21? Because it seems like a very diluted side. My question is why did we switch coaches? Helio Sousa had us playing amazing in 2015 and only sheer dumb luck had Brazil beat us in PK's in a game where we had a million chances narrowly go wide. Peixe is not a calming figure reminds me of Antonio Oliveira (minus the petulant crying) where he just looks nervous the entire time.

Based on the first 2 games I don't see us beating Iran.

Still happy we qualified for the tournament but very dissapointing looking squad. The 2015 squad by the looks of this tournament (big nations struggling vs weaker nations that aren't really impressing) would be run away winners.

21. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Game 2

Costa Rica 1 (Marin [P} 48')

Portugal 1 (Gonçalves 32 [p] 32')

22. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I caught the final 35 minutes or so of the Costa Rica match early this morning (4 a.m. start California time) and it was more of the same, though terrible refereeing made it difficult to pass much judgment. The match report claims Portugal had a couple good chances early including a 1v1, and then each team scored a penalty from a foul that appeared to be somewhere between soft and just a horrific decision, so at least that balanced out.

Portugal was taking control and had a good 10-minute spell of possession around the hour mark, but then Dias was given a second yellow on another terrible call. He went up for a header around midfield against a much shorter opponent and his forearm grazed the side of the guy's face (did not appear at all intentional or dangerous). From then on Costa Rica had all the possession, but was mostly focused on going down at the slightest touch as if an undeserved one-man advantage wasn't enough. Somehow they were the team to get carded for time wasting in spite of being a man up.

Other than that, nothing notable to report. Portugal has to beat Iran to advance, but could still miss out if Costa Rica beats Zambia too. It'd be nice to see this team find a way through its group, but there are so many quality players in the 19-24 range on the U21 and senior teams that this U20 team won't be counted on for much anyway. If it produces a couple guys for depth in a few years that'll do.

23. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    x2

24. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ref was pure shit. only saw 2 angles for pens why if they are using video refs should be min 4 camera angles, and never 2 yellow cards for sending off

25. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Stereotypical Portuguese team.