FIFA to review Slovenia-USA officiating

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by whitecloud, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/source-fifa-may-sit-slovenia-u-s-referee--fbintl_ro-referee061810.html

The refereeing committee will review the performance of Malian referee Koman Coulibaly tomorrow. If this game had been between two major teams or in a knockout round the global media would be all over this developing story. Its as big as the Thierry Henry handball. If the game had been Portugal-Brazil, an Italy game, Spain-Chile or some other high profile game rather than USA-Slovenia there would be non-stop media coverage of FIFA's response.

What impact can we expect this to have on officiating in the rest of the tournament? If that had been a knockout round game and a team like Brazil had been eliminated by the official just making up a random call in the 90th minute the integrity of the entire tournament would be in question. And it went beyond that one call too, the ref was thoroughly incapable of handling a game played by modern professional athletes. The pace and physicality of the teams was too high for this crew to manage. How does FIFA respond to this situation?

2. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    Interesting. I think that guy was just in above his head. He wasnt used to the intricacies and inensity of a WC match. By 50 minutes in he was a bedraggled ball of nerves with sweat rolling off him by the buckets.

Hopefully they take a look at the even worse ref from Spain in the ger-srb game. There is no excuse for that huy to be so horrible other than pure malice.

3. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I see it the same way you do.

4. timotheus

timotheus New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Chicago
    "What impact can we expect this to have on officiating in the rest of the tournament? If that had been a knockout round game and a team like Brazil had been eliminated by the official just making up a random call in the 90th minute".

Wait.

In my experience of watching the WC, the call is ALWAYS FOR Brasil, never against.

Paging fans of Turkey National Team...

Do you know why many Americans do not follow the sport?
    After chatting up a few, after the usual "boring" and "no action", comes the "So the referee makes a call like that and there is no review? And that's 4 years down the drain?".

5. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Ivory Coast = New Turkey

6. AndrewP

AndrewP New Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I hear you.

As bad as that call was, I agree. It was nothing like the job done in the Serbia victory over Germany.

All positivity to Serbia for their performance, but the referee handcuffed the Germans for no reason.

7. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Germany-Serbia ref had a fascinating definition of what constitutes a yellow card offense. But, there was a standard there and it was enforced evenly throughout. Now, we can gripe about that standard all day, but it was there. This official was unqualified to even be on the pitch. The game got very physical almost from the opening whistle because this official seemingly had zero competence for managing a game with professional athletes on the field. On the waved off goal there still hasn't even been an explanation as to what was called, let alone whether the call was fair. Players, coaches and fans disagree with calls all the time(see Germany-Serbia), but at least they know what the call was for. Have you ever seen a game where a foul was called and the athletes on the field or the coaches don't even know what it was?

8. nam207

nam207 Member

Jun 12, 2010
    So what? I hate the ref as much as you do, but I don't think there is much will happen, if anything. Lots of referees will go home anyway, only a few elites are stay in the knock out rounds and beyond. You're right in one thing though, if this is a knock-out round and the team is Brazil, people will not tell us to "stop crying" but they will cry instead.

9. Killboard

Killboard Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Bolivar, Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Its impossible review that play, FIFA cant do nothing to reverse to that play and change that injustice.

This will keep happening until FIFA take the decision of review the plays on field. All proffesional sports do that (NBA, NFL, ATP). Why not soccer? One objection has been that not all the competitions around the world can have good cameras, but in a world cup, with those high definition cameras like them use, why not?

10. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    The guy blew the whistle right as the freekick was taken, so it doesn't matter play should not have continued, there is nothing to complain about, there have actually been worse calls, like the Serbia v Germany game as a whole and the foul goal Heinze scored against Nigeria. The Mexico dive against France.

11. gilgore

gilgore New Member

Jun 19, 2010
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Not one to champion the USA, but I'd like to have some kind of explaination about what exactly was the infraction the ref saw. When you look at the replay there could have been four yellow cards against Slovenia for holding US players. I don't see any from the Americans side at all. Oh well maybe its just karma for all the other crap the US does around the world.

12. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA

What the hell are you talking about? This is like the fifteenth time someone has said this. WHAT MATCH ARE YOU WATCHING? The whistle came a split second before edu kicked it. A good 3 seconds after starting the place kick.

13. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I don't like what happened in the USA game, I find it unacceptable that FIFA allows the ref to hide and not explain why he made the call he did. If the ref manned up and admited he made a big mistake, I could understand it (like in the baseball game a few weeks ago). But FIFA allows the refs to hide.

14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I have no idea what the ref called but I do think there could have been an offside called at the moment of the free kick a US attacker is in offside position. Obviously the ball sails over the player's head but you could say that he was involved because the ball was not too far away from the offside player's head when it went over and that could of interfered in the goalkeeper's judgement whether to come out on Edu or stay on the line ...

I also wouldn't jump too much onto Undiano Mallenco because that 2nd yellow card on Klose was a foul from behind. It wasn't a hard foul but by the letter of the law ... Also he was pretty consistent once he made it clear that he would call a close game. Just because most referees are forgiving it doesn't mean that all of them have to be.

So far the biggest clear mistake that I've seen is the offside goal given to Slovakia. The 2nd biggest mistake was the straight red card to Cahill. Cahill had commited about 4 or 5 fouls already at that point so I understand the referee trying to send a message but the proper way would of been to give 2 yellows not a straight red. I also suspect that Cahill was already targeted by referees for his reckless foul in the New Zealand friendly.

15. JANEZ

JANEZ New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    That is football what can you do. If you want to play it like that than bring Ireland to the tournament and send French home. Start thinking how you gonna beat Algerians.

16. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Don't mind us yanks. We have a hard time putting up with bullshit unlike the rest.

17. laasan

laasan Member

Apr 12, 2010
    :rolleyes:
    while there were obviously a few fouls on the Americans, there was also an American clearly pushing a Slovenian in the back, right in front of the ref. another poster mentions here that a case for off-side can also be made. the problem is that you are seemingly collectively incapable of seeing the other side.
    what's the ref to do in this situation, count the fouls of each team and give to the one who has less? that's not how it works. if you commit a foul you can't complain for it being called. protesting that the other was worst is just childish.

seriously, when it comes to persecution complex, you Americans give the Russians a very good run for their money.

18. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    The referee was very poor and this level of football was way over his head. FIFA must not jeopardize the integrity of the game just for the sake of inclusion. Put the best refs in regardless what continent or country they belong to.

As for the goal, the referee should have wistled the play dead before free-kick was taken and hand out verbal warning to both sides. But his other mistake was to ignore Dempsy's dangerous foul. That set the standard for the players as to what they could get away with. That kind of elbow to the back of the neck can paralize a player for life; it's borderline criminal.

Another thing I noticed about the referee, he was consistently late in blowing his whistle. Seemed to me he was more pursaded by players' reaction and body language than the play itself.

Overall, the end result is fair. Each team owned one half and the score suggests as such.

19. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link showing this?

20. laasan

laasan Member

Apr 12, 2010
    you mean like a replay of the scene? do you have trouble finding any?

21. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was no flag for offside. Offside was not the call, and that official was not in a position where he could have called offside. The point is this, there hasn't even been an explanation that there was a foul. He could have just blown his whistle because he burped up his half time hot dog, and decided that the USA was at fault for that. The ref had the whistle to his mouth the entire time. He was going to blow that whistle for a USA foul no matter what happened. He had already decided there was going to be a foul before the kick even took place. There's another article somewhere where professional referees are just blasting this guy. He had predetermined to see a foul before there even was one.

22. laasan

laasan Member

Apr 12, 2010
    you are really clutching at straws. forget about the off-side, I saw a foul on a Slovenian player, right in front of the ref. chances are that's what he called.
    as for him having the whistle in the mouth the whole time, refs do that all the time in such or similar situations. pay attention the next. maybe not every time, every ref will behave differently of course, but a lot do that. because let's face it, it doesn't take a genius to predict that there's likely to be a foul somewhere. only people with a persecution complex are convinced he was out to get them from the beginning. there was a foul on a Slovenian player fairly early on, so no-one can really complain that the ref called it.

23. admerr

admerr Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    People are mad because us Yanks are pissed off about this. You act like the Irish weren't mad about the handball. They absolutely were and rightly so. They even went as far as asking FIFA to be the 33rd team in the tournament.

US Soccer has only asked for an explanation of the call. Yet FIFA lets the crook hide behind closed doors, and does not make him man up.

Even the Slovenian team admitted that there was no infraction on our part, and that they did in fact foul our players.

There's nothing we can do now but prepare to beat Algeria and move on. FIFA should at the least grow some testicles and face this issue though.

We have the right to be pissed off though as well as the Germans. So people looking to talk crap about us being upset: Piss off, let us vent. It's only been 24 hours.

24. Kerry

Kerry Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Dearborn Heights Mi
    Thats exactly right. He decided the foul on Altidore was too soft a call, and would make it up calling one against the USA. Too bad there are a dozen HD, super slo-mo cameras catching everything. FIFA has to get in the 21st century. If this were to happen in a semi or final, riots could break out in the offending nation.

The ref in the Ger-Ser gaem did a fine job. He sent a message early and often that chippy and tactical fouls would not be tolerated. Klose didn't listen, he got sent off. 2nd half didn't have as many cheap fouls, did it.

25. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why would they do it now? There has been clear mistakes allowing or disallowing goals for what? Five decades already?

There were visible bad calls even in the third quarter of the 20th century...