Fifa to look at new format for Club World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I have to admit, it does sting me a little when a team is allowed to take on hundred of millions of debt with no consequences, while other clubs go belly up for forgetting to pay the milk man.

I call that unfair competitive advantage, but that's a different topic altogether...
    Well, that's the whole purpose of this tournament, now isn't it - for these teams to play against each other in a competitive match. We'll have to give the Uefa & Conmebol champion the benefit of the doubt for the first few years, after that we can install a coefficient system like I suggested all the way back on page two:
    Apples & Oranges.
    Oh believe me, every reader of this thread is having a great time watching you tiptoe into my reaper of reason...

2. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Don't delude yourself :D Glad you're back again after your short sabbatical of being "done with me", was there ever any doubt?

That's the only thing you've written so far that made any sense pippy, I'm so proud of you. :)

That's exactly the point of a tournament, for the teams to play each other (only after which you can actually seed them seeing as there is nothing to seed upon now) not for some teams to get a bye untill a later round for no reason at all.

That's the reason why this 'world cup' can't be taken seriously by the minnow legion of doom, and why Europe and South America shouldn't be happy because they get another game during (in Europe's case at least, probably in CONMEBOL's as well) a crucial stage of the season and for what?

For a tournament which even FIFA doesn't take seriously.

3. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me there are two camps:

the "only money matters" camp, which says that if it doesn't rake in the bucks it isn't worth doing. This is the line of "no one will watch" folks. Mostly, these folks are opposed.

and the folks who actually care about the sport (aka 'purists') who feel that a global sport should have a global championship, which the sport doesn't currently have at the club level. These folks see this plan as a step forward. Maybe not completely fair, but at least it's a tournament that every club in the world has a route to the final, even if they have only an infintesimal chance of winning.

And if Toluca or Raja Casablanca win? Well, they're world champions, end of story, no excuses.

G.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Look, if you're so eager to see Real vs. Wollongong (to prove my discrepancy point), then feel free to enlighten us with a better compromise any day now. We're all dying to know...

The format is not perfect, but it has to start somewhere, It has to start sometime.
    If you're against the very existence of this tournament, then just say so - but stop fabricating stupid reasons like the one above...
    Your interpretation and your interpretation only.

[​IMG] PS: I like the exclamation mark next to the subject line. It alerts unsuspecting readers of the utter drivel they're about to read.

"Ich habe fertig"
    - Giovanni Trappatoni

5. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Actually, it doesn't, but that's not the point.

Man, I thought you were pretending, but you really are a moron if you think the final group matches of the CL being crucial is a "stupid reason" for not having more (meaningless) matches during that time period.

No sh&#105t the format isn't perfect! Even in the disaster that is the Confed Cup they still make the champions from Europe and South America actually *play* the champions from the other federations instead of giving them a bye.

You do realise that's what he said when he gave up on a lost cause (i.e. you defending this piece of crap cup) Good choice bucky :D

6. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O.k., so they could add a third game for the Conmebol and UEFA champs (presuming they win through to the final ;) ) and scrap the whole bye thing. It'd be an extra two or three days, overall.

G.

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Correction: that is your whole point.
    Look Sparky - I was referring to your howling about the CWC format. For your information, the CL is on winter break by the time the Intercontinental Cup is being played, so that argument doesn't fly (try backing your desultory spewing with facts for once). One extra game is not going to kill anybody, and if it does then certain teams might want to re-evaluate their merchandise globetrotter tours.
    I'm still waiting for a better compromise from you...

Well?
    I know exactly why he said that, and the lost cause here is your intellect and grasping ability.
    Dear Oscarlito,

Go play in traffic.

Sincerely,

Every reader of this thread

8. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a GO

It will take place (or there is a very high chance that it will take place in 2005) so for those that argue against it, you can continue on your hopeless crusade. Those that are for it, let's rejoice. :)

okay, though the vote will come in 3 days, we don't know what will happen, but UEFA according to this article is supportive of it.

UEFA's Olsson gives qualified backing to World Club plan
    http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=footballNewsUK&storyID=4445556&section=news

though his condition are that only 1 UEFA team will has to compete and that it has the right to refuse (which another UEFA team could theoritically accept and took the Champions League winner place).

BENEFITS for ASia, Africa, OCean, Concacaf already been felt:

FIFA gives NSL a boost
    BELEAGUERED Australian soccer received a much-needed boost when FIFA announced details of a new Club World Championship

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8746492-23215,00.html

With a new league in Australia expected to start in November, there is now no more lucrative incentive for cash-strapped Australian clubs to do well than to win it and go on to represent the region in Japan.

"This is terrific news," national league general manager Steve Kamasz said yesterday.

"I cannot think of a better incentive for our clubs than to qualify for this rich event."

No details of the prizemoney for the 2005 event have been released but the rewards for taking part no doubt will be substantial.

South Melbourne earned $4 million by playing in the event in Brazil. (refering to the last WCC)

9. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    At least it wouldn't be a compromise that should make no party happy. These people that are rejoicing about this farce don't care about no 'world cup for clubs', because this can't be seen as such with the byes given, they only care about being able to play the AC Milan's or the Boca Junior's. And it shows by how they're actually defending this.

Weren't you the one that kept on hammering how we're supposed to be showing that we're better 'on the field'...how exactly does that work with giving us a bye for no reason at all.

Milan had already sent some of their squad to Japan before the final CL groupmatch had been played (as in it does affect it) and in Europe the league's pretty important as well skippy. Note that this new cup will last longer. There you go.

Why the Hell should I be thinking of a compromise when I don't even want this Cup? Meh, you've already pointed out that the clubs don't mind playing in the US or Asia during the pre-season, go with the ball now.....

Good thing I do too, and again, good choice. :) This Cup is indeed a lost cause which you should quit defending, it doesn't warrant it.

10. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, The ICC has a contract until 2005 and Toyota has expressed that they will not back it financially and are happy with the current situation. I friggin hate FIFA. Bunch of Mafioso's. Well, When S.A and Europe start refusing to go, which they will. The tournament will be a joke and lose interest.

11. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Europe's big clubs threaten world club championship boycott
    Thursday, 18-Sep-2003 6:00AM PDT Story from AFP
    Copyright 2003 by Agence France-Presse (via ClariNet)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BERLIN, Sept 18 (AFP) - Europe's big football clubs are threatening to boycott the 2005 world club championship, Die Welt reported on Thursday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NewsVantage – The most cost effective path to dynamic and compelling content for your site!

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, vice-president of the G14 group of Europe's most powerful clubs, said the sport's world governing body FIFA had dragged its feet over certain issues, and therefore G14 teams would not play in the world championship.

Rummenigge said: "As solutions have not been found concerning compensation for clubs when players are on international duty, and also club versus country problems with the international calendar, FIFA will have to do without G14 clubs at the world club championships."

Criticising FIFA president Sepp Blatter, Rummenigge added: "He (Blatter) doesn't care about clubs. He only wants to fill up his coffers and we're fed up with it."

stz/mo03

Fbl-GER-Rummenigge

12. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A just question. I would greatly prefer to have all the teams play on equal terms, certainly, precisely because I would like to see the big boys play through on the same terms that anyone else does. At least the "qualifying round" wouldn't happen in Japan, but sometime earlier.

However, I also recognize that politics is the art of the possible. If having byes for the big (whiney) boys is the price of having a championship that in principle any team in the world could win, then I'm willing to accept that. It isn't entirely for no reason, but rather to accomodate those with money and power. That's a time honored tradition, and just about every tournament has some mechanism to adjust the structure to account for historical results (which as you point out don't exist here), from the seeding at the World Cup to the qualifying rounds in concacaf, AFC, and CAF to the structure of the Champion's League.

In my view there are two objectives:

1) have a world championship at all
    2) have teams meet on a level playing field.

I'm willing to fudge #2 to get #1, rather than sacrifice #1 in order to push for #2.

13. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical. Although notice this boycott isn't about the tournament itself, but about leverage over other issues which do need to be resolved.

Someone should do a study to estimate how much a player's contract's value increases when they become an international and then let the FAs charge the clubs a cut for the value the FAs are adding to the clubs' players contracts that they hold.

Or the FAs could pay the clubs out of a pot drawn from fees levied on the clubs. The clubs need to remember that ultimately they rely upon the people who value the international game as well: the fans.

G.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I didn't realize Conmebol teams have the luxury to refuse $4,000,000 nowadays. Isn't that approximately the amount they make for winning the entire Copa Libertadores? Even the Emperors of Whining, the G-14, will find it hard to turn down that kind of money...

In a few years the change of format will seem very trivial and some won't even remember the disputation surrounding it. That is until I bump this very thread and remind people of their narrow-mindedness and insistence on the status quo.

15. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Argentine Futbol,

As a supporter of Australia & Australian clubs, I find it rather ironic that a mouth-piece of the G14 (the meanest, most meally-mouthed, most self-interested & money-grubbing clubs in the world) should be slagging off Septic Bladder & FIFA (the meanest, most meally-mouthed, most self-interested & money-grubbing countries & confederations of the world) on this matter.

A pox on all of them, especially FIFA, UEFA, CONMEBOL & G14 Clubs.

They don't occupy the high (or low for that matter) ground on this issue and should not even think of calling themselves world club champion for fear of disappering up their own back orifices. This scenario is akin to American Football's World Championship, with no-one from the rest of the footballing (soccer) world being allowed to compete, as they are deemed unworthy to be playing with the "footballing gods".

G14 give us all a break & shut up, please !!!!

Cheers.

Andy T.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Executive Committee ratifies format for 2005 FIFA Club World Championship: http://www.fifa.com/en/display/mrel,74392.html
    Let the bitching and moaning commence...

17. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just read the post---although i am glad--the future of the competition could very much still be in the air. Notice how the press release stated "other details" such as time and place have yet to be determined and are open for further discussion. Those are pretty big details to be missing...... Another thing that could derail the whole tournament is the G-14 boycott that has been previously discussed just a few posts up.

Question: If the G-14 clubs refuse to participate could FIFA punish those clubs by suspending them from playing? Or alternatively could they put pressure on the clubs by suspending their respective FA's from international competition? Would UEFA take disciplinary measures against those teams as well?

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The place is Japan in December (all that info can be found on this thread). Exact dates, venues, and kickoff times still have to be determined.
    We don't know yet how and if FIFA will enforce participation. UEFA seems to be backing the Club World Championship as long as teams can decide whether to take part. CONMEBOL on the other hand is still whimpering because they have to share the spotlight now.

It is my personal guess that the financial incentives will be the key factor that get everybody on the same page. We'll just have to wait and see...

19. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info!! Let's hope this all comes out OK.

20. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh By no means? "Show me the Money!!!!!!" We'll go! Like I said, we'll send our B-teams to Collect as there is no way in hell that teams would rather win this than their perspective leagues. I rather have Boca win our league than some "benefit for World Football" Competition. Someone mentions a 4 Million dollar price tag somewhere. That's it? Jesus. We'll get 15M just for Tevez. The First tournament was a joke, even in Brazil. Somehow people want to make it "LEGIT" to be called World Champ. Do I need to Explain what INTERCONTINENTAL means? Where do you see World Champions on it? If the tournament does go through. I hope that the Conmebol and uefa teams lose in the Semi's. Who will watch than? Fans are the ones that make tournaments successful!! Not Fifa.

21. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    imagine a UEFA Cup and Champions League without the G-14. Yeah right.

22. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    The World Club Championship is a go (at least in theory), but the Intercontinental Cup is not dead yet.

According to Blatter, "If it is possible to link it or not link it or combine it with the Intercontinental Cup, or whether there is another solution, for the time being there is no information on that".

In other words, there's no deal with the REAL owners of the ICC: Toyota, UEFA and Conmebol. If the ICC is alive, why would the CL and Libertadores champions send their A teams to this new championship? I wouldn't.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/soccer/02/29/bc.eu.spt.soc.fifa.world.ap/

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Thanks for the link...that sheds some light on the business situation. As previously established both competitions can't continue to co-exist. So far Uefa seems to be on board, and Toyota could be compensated with a sponsorship deal for the new competition. That leaves us with Conmebol, who just might see the light once Fifa starts thinking about giving the 2014 WC to the United States...

Time will tell.

24. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    2014 to the States? Good for them. Funny how they threaten a World Cup to the United States even if this country has no history or no contribution to game. This country is not even worth mentioning in Football. To Pick them over Brazil?? My God. Why because $$$$. It's funny how bargaining chip seems to be thrown around. Maybe we should Boycott the damn thing. Who the Hell is FIFA without us?? a Euro Cup? Hell, Phuck FIFA, They haven't given S.A a world Cup since 78? I forgot, it's about money. The best football is played not in Multi-Million dollar Stadium or being developed in the best millions dollar training grounds. It's played in the streets with 2 rocks as goal-post on a dirt pitch. That's why South America will always be the most entertaining in the World and provide the Best Footballers ever. It's a good thing Money can't buy you success. Does it help? Ask Holland, they have the best Youth program in the World for years. FIFA, I hope you Dissappear and that Fat SS Sepp Blatter croaks in his money Hunting.

25. Ronaldo+10

Ronaldo+10 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Los Angeles

Fifa threatening conmebol to give 2014 to the Us ?? Don't be ridiculous, go back to reality, you completly underestimate the south americans and the strenght of their relationship with Fifa! Go back a few months to the whole Oceania spot debacle and see who pressured who to get what they wanted.