Fifa to look at new format for Club World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Oh, there is a big difference, but seeing that you fail to understand the most basic dynamics of club vs. country, I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you. I'm too lazy to write it, but just pretend I plowed through your post like an Afghani farmer through his opium ranch fields.

Hint: It has to do with the discrepancy of quality being much more drastic at the club level.
    Oscar:SwissGCZ::Bug:Windshield

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm glad you're finally seeing the big picture here...

3. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That'll work. Just boost the $$$ for us just to show up!! We'll still probably send out b team just to collect. Gee, This tournament already has show much meaning & interest, even the fans are behind it. Dale, Dale, Dale BOOOOOOCA..oh, are we supposed to fly to Japan twice a year? How about Hawaii or somewhere tropical. it'll be a great vacation..

4. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not holding this against anyone specifically, but just a generalization of most of the members of BigSoccer.

There is a very funny double-standard that relates to U.S. sports in a way I never thought I'd see from these holier-than-thou 'football purists'.

Bitching and moaning about the U.S. sports using the term World Champions for the winners of their competition and not letting some European rec team, or so group of co-worker buddies from Australia getting slaughtered on the field.

Yet now, UEFA and CONMEBOL can put their bragging and self-serving attitude on the line and truly prove, on a yearly basis, that they produce the best club teams in the world, and yet now want to back out.

Like a schoolyard bully finding out the victim's finally going to stand up for himself and the bully fears being humiliated infront of the whole school (in this case, world).

Now, UEFA and CONMEBOL (i.e., bullies) have to talk their way out of the competition they've spurred because they don't want to risk the defeat.

Like others have said, and is used all the time for U.S. sports, if it's no contest, why the fear in playing the game? And it's not like these are two entirely new games, the UEFA and CONMEBOL champions would already be going to and from Japan.

Sykotyk

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Maybe it's just me, but flying to the same competition twice in the span of a week seems pretty stupid to me.

6. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apparently Uefa and Conmebol feels the same way.

7. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bullies? Risk of defeat? It not about oh we'll lose. It's about the busy schedules both UEFA and Conmebol already have. Let's see. right off the bat, it's a week, Than Climitazation to time anf food. So you're looking at about over a week maybe 2 to back into focus at our home leaques. The current ICC is hard enough..Why doesn't the other Confederation start without us???

8. Actually, on American Football USA play a some internationals matches, A NCAA div II All-Star team play Mexican Onefa champions every year. On 2003, the Mexican team won 34-31. The Game is called Aztec Bowl.

[​IMG]

BTW, there's a kind of Champions League on Baseball. Its called Serie del Caribe, were the best professional teams outside USA and Japan play to decide who is the best. . (The champions of Santo Domingo, Venezuela, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Panama, etc).

And there is an official American Football Champion. Japan is the current American Football Champion, with Mexico as Subchampion. The World Cup was played on 2003,

http://www.worldcup2003.info/

[​IMG]

9. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Argentine Futbol

They will. The day before, as per the FIFA tournament methodology proposed.

Andy T.

10. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Whoa, instead of stating the the 'big differences', you make a weak ass cop out. What a plot twist! :D

Has there ever been a non European, non South American world champion? I would say the 'discrepancy of quality' is present at a national level as well little bucky. Added sidenote: China & Saudi Arabia.

Maybe you can hint to a better excuse next time

Damn...you are sad :)

11. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was talking about their own tournament. I'll bet it will happen. Just throw throw some good old $$$$$ at it. SAD, very SAD.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Hint #2: China and Saudi Arabia are part of the World Cup because FIFA likes to rake in as much money as possible with its quadrennial cash cow. The Club World Championship will most likely never match the prestige and status of the World Cup, partially because it has to be played on an annual basis. This is the part where you knee-jerk and ask why? Don't worry, I won't let you dumbfounded in awe...

Club success is very short-lived and team lineups change rapidly. I can assure you that the African Champion gets raided fairly quickly by the French League after winning the CAF Champions League. The free player movement between teams makes the discrepancy of quality much more significant at the club level. Players go where the money is (your team for example). For reasons beaten to death in this thread, it is impossible to have an extensive, time consuming tournament every year - so we have to go with the next best solution, the current proposal. I can't believe I have to explain all this to you, but then again you are a Real Madrid fan. The monarch never knows what happens in the streets...

Hint #3: Take a hint and shut up.

13. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ¡¿¡¿Why the Hell are you giving all this useless info that has absolutely nothing to do with what we're discussing!?!? French clubs will buy players from Africa? What the Hell is wrong with you?

You still haven't given any good reason why this silly minnow pleasing "Blatter needs a new pair of shoes, show me the money" tournament could be taken seriously when you're already saying the Europeans and the South Americans are better that you would let them start from the semi finals. (well the time limit, and that French clubs buy African players, but meh: weak)

Sh&#105t, I wouldn't like the comparison with giving the Euro and South American champions a bye untill the semi final of the WC either if I were you, because it shows what a complete joke this world cup for clubs really is. Oh but wait, the French league buys players from Africa...so there!

By the by, the "me am so smart" approach would probably work better if you were actually making sense.....or were funny. :D

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The biggest problem I see with this format is that I doubt we will see any excitement in Japan for a team that is not Euro or South American. I am sure they'd go crazy for a Japanese team if they make it, but if there's no Japanese team, there would be total apathy until the final.

And thinking beyond Japan, is there really a demand for a world club championship? The last time they attempted it, it was held in Brazil, (one of the most passionate football countries in the world), with local teams participating, and it was still a failure.

Besides, the Champions league and Libertadores already bring out the two best teams in the world. Top CONCACAF teams have already been participating in the Copa Libertadores and, while they competed reasonably well, they obviously haven't been able to win it. Maybe we can get the top Asian and African teams a wild card to the Champions league and see if they have better luck. Then the Intercontinental Cup winner can be truly called the World Champion.

Having said all that...

BRING IT ON, WORLD!

Boca Juniors is going to kick your [backside]

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Jesus tap dancing Christ on a cracker,

I gave you the best club analogy in the world - the Uefa Champions League. Is the Champions League a joke because it categorizes teams? Is it a joke because Real Madrid gets a bye to the group stage while Jeunesse Esch has to start in the first qualifying round? If it is, congratulations - your club is the punchline.

In continuation you insisted on comparing the Club World Championship to the World Cup, after which I promptly explained to you that club and country are two different animals altogether. I was even kind enough to list the major factors preventing an exact clone of the World Cup at the club level.

It looks like all my travail & effort was wasted, as you still have the same baffled look on your face George W. Bush gets when he's shown a map of the world. Regardless, I'm done with you. If this post doesn't give your brain cells the urge to spark, then nothing will...

Now it's my turn to ask you a question. Do you wear your I.Q. on the back of your Real replica?

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sweet Merciful Crap*

Please go back and read the whole thread.
    (And that goes for all newcomers)

*pays royalty to El Jefe

17. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    News Flash. The Conmebol has been bombarded by emails supporting the ICC by South american fans. Wow, I would have never guess such support for the ICC.

18. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Argentine Futbol,

No, it's just another 15 year-old spammer having some fun (with CONMEBOL) from his bedroom.

Andy T.

19. Ronaldo+10

Ronaldo+10 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Common andy, just because ofc doesn't get any support from anyone, doesn't mean you have to get bitter on other confed. :D

20. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Ronaldo+10

What's the matter, no humour ? Can't you laugh at yourself ?

What a sad world you must live in.

Andy T.

21. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True, HAHA.. But here is another New Flash. The Japanese motor Company Toyota will not back the new format and is insisting on keeping the current format. Here is the news letter for those who can read spanish:

La publicitaria japonesa Dentsu, la automotriz Toyota y la Asociación Japonesa de Fútbol rechazan la idea de la FIFA de terminar con la Copa Intercontinental de Clubes, según una carta recibida ayer por la Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol (CSF).

La Copa Intercontinental enfrenta anualmente en ******ón al club campeón de la Liga de Campeones de Europa y al de la Copa Libertadores de América, bajo el auspicio de Toyota y la organización de Dentsu.

La FIFA presentó un plan con una nueva estructura en la que establece la organización de un torneo.

22. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sheesh, major inferiority complex you've got going towards Madrid there judging by some of your posts. Good boy. :D

The champion's league is seeded based on years of matches that took place between teams from the different European countries, how the Hell did they 'seed' the European and South American champion into the semi final of this worthless cup, when these teams have never played a competitive match with FC Dallas Super Hawks or whatever.

A 'bye' for no reason is a different thing as 'seeding' as well, but that doesn't stop you from spouting out nonsense. At least my comparison makes sense. :)

Both are international competitions, only in one you don't give certain teams a bye untill the semi final and in the other you do for some strange reason.

It's not that hard to understand buckeroo, it's pretty damn simple actually.

23. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there are many people who would oppose the claim that UEFA and CONMEBOL teams would be more likely to win than any team from any other confederation. So it seems pretty logical that if you're going to seed anyone, it should be them.

Once the tournament has a few years of statistics to work with, then perhaps they can switch to a Champions' League style of ranking teams.

24. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    billward, my thoughts exactly. Start the new format with the UEFA and CONMEBOL champs with the bye, and then after 2 or 3 years start letting the teams reseed based on past performance.

Sykotyk

25. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, that's an urban legend. They call themselves the world champion's because they don't feel the need to play anyone else.

G.