FIFA to Juve: Cease and desist with appeal, or...

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Charge!, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
  2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks for the FIGC. I also like how they single out Juve when Lazio and Fiorentina are appealing to the TAR as well. I also like how FIFA is claiming that the sports governing body is only responsible, yet the entire thing was brought about by local prosecutors that are not related to the governing body. So FIFA's saying it's ok if the government brings charges against them, but it's not ok if the government listens to any appeals.

3. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    FIFA has proven time and time again that they feel that they are larger than life. I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that they think that they can bully anyone (even national justice systems) into their point of view.

Jerks.

4. Slatesoccer

Slatesoccer Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Hendersonville,TN,US
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that leaves me to wonder what will happen to italy's world cup if they do get banned

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely NOTHING. They would prevent them from playing any further games, but no retroactive punishments would be made.

6. Slatesoccer

Slatesoccer Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Hendersonville,TN,US
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for clearing that up for me

I am a Lazio fan and man this year has been the hardest on us

7. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: FIFA to Juve: Cease and desist with appeal, or...

More proof that FIFA doesn't like Italy.

Italy winning the World Cup sure did piss you off Sepp.

8. romanista31

romanista31 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    honestly why let the actions of one idiotic Juventus teeam influence whether Italy plays in the Euro 2008 or not...personally the FIGC is dumb because they should of relegated all the cheating teams no matter how harsh it may sound and no matter how severe the level of cheating was to Serie C2...cheating is cheating on any level and by giving them joke punsihments and then lessening them they didn't teach the cheaters nothing...rather they taught them that cheating in the Italian leagues will not result in and harsh punishment...personally after seeing all the other teams brought back up to Serie A, if I were Juventus then I would appeal also and say that it was unfair that all the other teams were allowed a move up to Serie A... I think FIFA should have gotten involved but not involved to take away their national team's appearance in 2008 but rather punish Juventus...what it comes down to though is that FIFA is French run and they are still jealous of Italy winning the World Cup this year against them...FIFA will cause a lot more problems for themselves and Juventus if they decide to get involved in a way which will affect the national team...

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juve appealled to the TAR today... let the fireworks begin.

10. Tottino

Tottino Member+

Mar 19, 2005
    Frosinone, Italia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ya Juve appealed today, if FIFA f*ckin takes us out Euro ill snaP!:mad:

11. Sentry_23

Sentry_23 New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    MTL
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Fifa takes us out of every competitition im going to fly to where ever the ******** their hq is and ********ing punch that blatter in the face.

But seriously just because Juve is causing trouble, there is no reason to punish the other teams. Also what is wrong with Juve appealing they have the right to appeal, even if they are 100% guilty which we don't know, they still have the right to appeal.

12. vincep5

vincep5 Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Lets hope figc steps in and Punishes Juve before FIFA decides to take things into their own foolish hands. I want to see italy play on 9/2/06 vs Lithuania and i dont want to see anyone stopping them.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Italy failed to make it clear that cheating will not be tolerated with internal means, I'm glad FIFA stepped up. It's really unfortunate for those who will be unfairly punished, but that fact is that match-fixing is really the worst thing of all in football, it completely undermines the integrity of the sport. If you have to use harsh measures to solve this problem, so be it. Simply put, clubs like Juventus have to be made to realize that they are not above the rules.

14. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    But FIFA isn't really stepping up because of cheating. They aren't doing this to punish Juve because they thought the punishment was too light. FIFA is getting involved because they believe that they are above the laws of any governments and they hate government interference. That's why they're getting involved, not for some altruistic vision of fair play.

15. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Its ridiculous to ban everything for that but I would support Juve getting banned from Europe for years for it - its shameful behaviour. Whats next, taking them to court if they finish outside Europe and want to be in the Champions League anyway? They had their appeal, they won some points back they should suck it up. I don't even understand what law they think has been broken by anyone but themselves?
    Oh, and in other When Goverments Get Involved issues, see Greece a couple of months back - its no Italy-only thing.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Don't blame FIFA. Blame the FIGC and Juventus.

FIFA has a strong track record over the last 10+ years that I've been paying attention of having a zero tolerance policy for this sort of interference.

This isn't something new by FIFA, and it really has nothing to do with Italy.

The clubs and the national federations know this. There is no "bluff", FIFA will just implement the smackdown. They've got a 100% record of doing so in these cases.

FIFA didn't cheat in the Italian league. They didn't cover it up. They didn't dole out disproportionate penalties. They didn't strip any titles - justifiably or not. They're only protecting their "turf" - that is the ability to control their own affairs.

17. bspsoccer

bspsoccer Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Jan 25, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    as if we needed more reason to hate juve?

18. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Juventus is a publicly-traded corporation. If they don't have the right to file an appeal to a civil court in order to do their utmost to protect their shareholders, then something is wrong. Yes, it's a sport, but it's also a business (much as we'd all like to pretend it isn't). I believe if this all came down to a lawsuit (tried in I don't know what court), Juventus would win in the end (win the right to appeal, not necessarily win the appeal). But it would clearly be a pyrrhic victory if, in the meantime, FIFA imposed the threatened sanctions against the FIGC.

19. bspsoccer

bspsoccer Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Jan 25, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    yes, it is a business, but when you buy shares in the business, you are buying shares in a company who has agreed to not take it to a civil court, but to use FIGC (whether right or wrong). It works both ways :)

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    FIGC's regulations only state that the punishment for filing a suit in civil court is 3 points in the table. Can you really blame Juve for trying? What's the big difference between starting at -17 and -20. A few years back, Catania famously avoided being relegated down to Serie C via the civil courts. Where was FIFA then? It's highly unlikely Catania would be entering a season in Serie A without having won that case.

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is that agreement stated?

22. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    this is fu(king absurd

For starters Euro 2008 is a UEFA tournament. Something FIFA has nothing to do with.

I'm thinking the FIGC put FIFA up to this to scare off Juve. The truth is the FIGC just wants the domestic season to get underway and trying to get Juve to accept their punishment.

As Juve fan, but most of all, Italy fan, I'm pissed that the NT is being brought into this when they clearly have nothing to do with it. But at the same time, how the he!! did Milan/Lazio/Fiorentina get off with a slap on the wrist ?

Leonardo is being recorded giving Fiorentina the starting lineup for their upcoming game and they get their CL spot back ? :eek:

23. Nebs

Nebs New Member

May 5, 2004
    Croatia
    Club:
    Zulia FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Joey Didulica was put on trial by Austrian prosecution for a foul he commited in football game.

Austrian clubs banned? Nope.

I'd be extremly happy for much severe punishment Juve, Fiorentina, Lazio, Milan and Reggina, but this FIFA threat just show us what giant hypocritical assholes they really are.

24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The FIGC can fix this easily. State that what they presented as a trial was a farce, reinstate all of the teams to their proper order, give the scudetti back to Juve and if they really think there was match fixing, then hold a proper trial where evidence can be presented. The real scandal in this whole affair is that Italian rags created this situation and FIGC were gullible to play along. Supposedly this is the worst scandal in the history of calcio Italiano and yet, in a system where referees were influenced, how many were actually convicted? If there was due process in this affair, defendants were able to present evidence and the prosecution had the burden to prove there was wrong committed, then there would be nothing to appeal. But that never happened. The FIGC had two choices, leave the standings as they were and proceed with the investigation in a proper manner. If wrongdoing was found, then hand the punishment at the findings. Afterall, the last season was played even though public prosecutors had all of the wiretaps and their investigation concluded by June of last summer. It is not as if anyone suffered with Serie A last season. The other option for FIGC was to proceed with the investigation but tell UEFA that no Italian sides would compete in Europe. The rush to the verdict was to meet the UEFA deadline. If the decision was to skip Europe this season, then there would have been no need to come up with a rushed and artificial verdict. So FIGC is to blame but what do you expect when it is being ran by a former board member of Inter.

25. bspsoccer

bspsoccer Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Jan 25, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Formally, probably not.

But you have to know what you are getting into when you buy those shares. You have to do your research into all aspects of the stock.

I am speaking from an economic/informed buyer point of view...

Also just trying to fan the flames of debate... (not trolling)