FIFA speaking MLS to to adhere to promotion/relegation

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DCU1996, Oct 26, 2010.

1. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It all depends on the value of it to US Soccer and MLS.

2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    bingo - if some of what FIFA wants our owners decide is in their best interest it will happen - otherwise it wont. And I am fine with that fact.

3. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    If only. :) We cannot bid successfully without the support of Mexico and to a smaller degree Canada. If either of those two want it, their case (since we were the last in the region to host) would be helped. I actually don't think we will bid for 2026 OR if we do it will be joint with Canada.

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's less valuable than a stable American fan base

5. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Major point of hosting World Cup is to build stable American fan base.

6. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What sane business hitches it's future to an event that will take place 12 years from now?

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those people that say we need FIFA more than FIFA need us, why do we need FIFA?

Since the 1994 WC which required us to get MLS started, what has FIFA done for the U.S.? Nothing. Since then we have a stable and growing league and a National Team that is expected to at least make it out of the group stage every WC. FIFA didn't do any of that, the USSF and MLS owners did. What's to stop them from continuing to improve with or without FIFA's help?

We don't need FIFA. FIFA may not need us either, but we don't have to kiss Blatter's ring for any reason.

8. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we have to host the World Cup to use it to build a fan base -- we just have to achieve in it. This isn't '94, when the majority of the nation hadn't even been introduced to the highest level of the sport, when previous World Cups were only partially on network television, if at all. These days, even people who hate pro soccer understand what the fuss is about.

If anything, the World Cup not being held here could conceivably build the fanbase more, because MLS would not have to be shut down during the tournament. By scheduling games to follow national team matches, MLS could better capitalize on the excitement.

Not that having the World Cup here wouldn't be a good thing, but trust me, losing it isn't the end of the world, or even that big of a deal.

------RM

9. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Actually the influence would've been started today if US won the bid.

All the headlines, coverage, and exposure of the sport.

10. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  11. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Exactly. You and Matt have hit the nail on the head. This is a chicken-egg thing. It's the "what has to happen first?" question.

What this decision tells me is that MLS needs to do what is in the best interest of MLS. It can not nor should it depend on a FIFA World Cup being hosted in the US nor should they wait until the US national team wins a World Cup. If MLS wants to be a top league they need to do what they should to go all out to achieve it. At some point the waiting has to stop and they have to go out, be bold and hope that if they build it, interest, ratings and everything else improves and follows.

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What waiting? MLS hasn't been "waiting". Seattle's sugar daddy waited, but not MLS.

13. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    MLS waited until the 1994 World cup in US.

It all started with 1994 World Cup.

Too bad 2022 World Cup could've been a real opportunity for the MLS 2.0.

14. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ignoring your normal Seattle-baiting douchbaggery (what would you do if we didn't exist?) the waiting I refer to is what MLS would be holding back until some seminal moment. Garber said if the World Cup was awarded to the USA MLS would move towards becoming one of the best leagues in the world.

Why wait? Go ahead and be bold and do it. It's clear there are plenty of fans of the sport in this country who do not watch MLS as it is now. Take the risk and improve the product and perhaps more of these people begin to watch the games and fill the seats.

15. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA can take all their coercion to adhere to their standards and shove it! I hope MLS never moves to an fall-spring schedule or adopts promotion/relegation simply out of spite towards a horrifically corrupt FIFA. F Sepp Blatter and his flunkies.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just really p!$$ed off right now.

16. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Garber was saying "We're standing around waiting for us to get the World Cup because it'll make us awesome." I think he was saying that getting the World Cup would be a big, swift afterburner boost to that end that MLS would benefit from. A boost that MLS can't really get on its own, because this is something that's out of their hands.

That's a lot different from saying "We can't do anything on our own, and if we DON'T get the World Cup, we're screwed." The league has been improving ever since 1994, with no expectation of ever getting a World Cup again (until several months ago) or any realistic prediction of the USMNT winning one. It's improved, and it will continue to improve. Getting this would have been awesome, but my opinion on the league hasn't changed one bit since 10:45 eastern.

Plus which, any boost MLS would have gotten really wouldn't have kicked in (in my opinion) until sometime around 2020, give or take a year. Which means we'd have still had a decade of growth/change that would have had nothing to do with the World Cup, outside of maybe building a venue or three.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been there, done that, had a great time at the Cotton Bowl in '94.

Yup.

And... yup. The most amazing thing about this experience is that you still have people think that these things come down to the soccer or the merits of the bid. We've got a respectable national team and a respectable league, we graded 100% on the technical report, and we'd have all the stadiums ready to go if it were being held next year. And who got at least 10 votes on EVERY SINGLE BALLOT? A nation with a population smaller than the Austin metropolitan area who'll have to build 12 all-new air-conditioned stadiums and whose national team can't even dream of qualifying for the World Cup on its own.

Said differently: Jamaica and Northern Ireland each have populations larger than Qatar. They've both qualified for the World Cup on their own. And if either of them had put in bids, they would've been laughed out of the room.

That should tell you that all this discussion about the season and promotion/relegation and what effect it had on our bid is so much masturbation from people who have fixations on the subject.

19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    My view is this. I get to watch MLS for 8 months a year and get to go to around 17 games in person every year. If it takes us doing something that might ruin that experience (like switching to a schedule that ends up financially crippling the league) to get one month of soccer (albeit really good soccer) and possibly get to see one game live (at the cost of probably what my season ticket is now) then I'm not interested. Seeing MLS for the rest of my life trumps seeing the World Cup.

20. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006

In the autopsy that will surly follow this, I hope Garber and the owners have a hard think about their relationship with FIFA, and more specifically CONCACAF. If US Soccer doesn't have the guts to press for it, it's time for MLS to talk with their SUM friends at the FMF -- who tried to address this mess to be fair -- about demanding reforms.

21. RBNYSupporter4Life

Nov 26, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't make a lick of difference, does it?

It's like talking to the hottest chick at the party all night before the little douchebag with all the cash takes her home.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You said it!

23. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's worse than that. It's like talking to that hot chick, and finding out at the end of the night that she's a hooker and is interested in only one thing. So, yeah, she left with the little douchebag with all the money, but at least that means you don't end up getting herpes.

I think this experience has been very useful. Though I enjoy the WC, it's not worth it going down the cesspool of corruption required to win.

24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it when people bring personal experience into the conversation.

25. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is everyone against FIFA? Just because MLS has been the retarded step-child of NFL. It's your loss you can't get the act together to change the system in MLS.

WC 2026