FIFA says we should have advanced in the WC Quarter Finals, Italy should not have

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Cloudkicker09, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,20664329-23215,00.html

I am so angry I cannot even find the words to describe how hurt I am that they did not speak up sooner, like during the cup. Italy should face punishment for what they did to us

They are unworthy of the world cup

Sorry I misspelled "quarter"

2. Drogo

Drogo New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Sweden
    Re: FIFA says we should have advanced in the WC Quater Finals, Italy should not have

It's ok to apologize, but isn't it to go a bit far to say that it is certain that Australia would have been in the quarter-finals if it wouldnt have been a penalty?

You say that Italy should be punished, why? If you mean that the italian who dived should have been rewarded a yellow or red card at the spot, I can agree. But the Italian national team can not and shall not be punished afterwards because the referee made a mistake, that would be just stupid. That would be like FIFA punishing Argentina now for the "hand of God", after all, it's a part of the game all this.

3. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Re: FIFA says we should have advanced in the WC Quater Finals, Italy should not have

Not saying he's wrong, but this is more lip service from Blatter about "cleaning up the game". Bad calls have happened to every team in every country in ever tournament in the world. The Australia/Italy match isn't any different.

4. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I'm an Australian, and even I think its time to build a bridge.

5. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

To be completely honest, I am well and truly over this.It was four months ago and it really is time to move on.I've had this argument with people (mostly Italians) for forever and a day, and it doesn't change anything.However, wrt your post, it is true that the officiating in the world cup was pathetic, but I don't recall too many other teams having their quarter final hopes decided by a crap call.Most of us were quite confident had've the game gone to extra time and/or shootout because it was clear towards the end that the heat was getting to the Italians more so than Australia.

Also, the overall officiating in Australia matches most notably the Croatia match, was sub standard.This is the match where the ref completely lost the plot, red carded a player who stayed on the pitch, missed blatant penalties and resulted in a 2-2 draw, but should have been a 4-2 or in the least 3-2 win for Australia, and the 25-9 penalty count against Brazil, and you can understand why Australians were rather pissed off, to put it mildly.

The other thing that annoyed the hell out of me at the time was the business about new kids on the block, pecking order, have to earn your stripes to get the good calls blah blah blah.I'm sorry, that is utter bullshit.It is supposed to be a professionally run world class tournament with viewing capacities in the billions globally, and FIFA turn around and provide some of the most incomprehensible officiating anyone has ever seen.No wonder people laugh at them.But I don't think it takes a lot of brain power to figure out that FIFA is a corrupt political party ran by zig and zag the clowns, and as I said, its basically water under the bridge in many respects.Time to get over it.

6. M Lo

M Lo Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Sydney

Great to see this was recognised.

However, Australia is not the only team that has been hard done by.

Italy was doing everything in their power to win the game and we were a little naive in that situation.

I have no respect for Grosso's action.

Good on Lucas for not ranting and raving.

Go the Soceroos. Fortunately there is 2010 and we can prove it wasnt a once off.

7. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth

Blatter

if anybody should take the heat for what is percieved as a poorly officiated tournament, it is him. Afterall, he's the one that came out with the mandate that everything was going to be called.

It was not an accident that the amount of yellow/red card skyrocketed after he set those standards.

Whatever. The 2002 tournament had way more bad calls than the 2006 tournament.

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lip-service, that is spot on.

Look at the source of the story, saying who Blatter is saying these words to. "The World Game" TV show, which airs on SBS -- which for our overseas readers is the very same Australian network that broadcast the World Cup, and just about all of the Socceroos games.

Of course Blatter is going to say what he said to them, because he has a track record of doing just about everything with a political bent in mind.

This story detailing what he said in the interview is no different.

9. douba

douba New Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Perth

bringing this up now is just stupid and hurtful. Everyone has just gotten over it and then Blatter brings all those emotions back up. It's not going to change anything so just leave us in peace.

10. Blitzwing

Blitzwing New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Sydney

What a crock of **** next time Blatter gets off a plane in Italy he will deny ever saying such a thing. Lip service is exactly right, Blatter as usual trying to cover up his adminstrations blunders with some ass kissing...

11. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I can see why others don't like the comment seeing as most people have gotten over it but as a VERY hardcore soccer follower, to me, the head of FIFA stating that the penalty should have been awarded and Australia should have gone to the quarter finals does bring quite a lot of closure.

I mean, our boys had to step over a load of barriers just to get to the final 16. The Japan game had a goal wrongly awarded but we came back in true Australian nature and scored 3 more. The ref later stating the goal given to Japan was a mistake. In the Brazil game, the officating wasn't too bad but lets just say the official for that game was a complete asshole to our team and we obviously had no respect. The Croatia game was just pathetic officiating from an official (who probably meant well) but clearly made too many mistake.

After all of that, we play Italy, everyone except the Australian fans telling us we have no chance we can draw with Italy, let alone beat them. We surprise everyone, keep it nil-nil despite Italians crying about a red card which yes, changed the game for the 2nd half but it's a testiment to our boys we kept the Italians goalless for the whole first half. We expect extra time then after the Italian falling over Neill, we get struck out of the tournament in a flash.

Having someone part of the FIFA organisation, whether it is lip service or not, stating to us that we deserved to win I feel is important and brings a bit of closure to those supporters like me who still dream of what could have been.

That how I feel about it anyway...

12. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

If it was someone other than Blatter it might mean something more, and to say we "would have" and "deserved to have" got to the 1/4s is showing way too much disrespect to Italy. Look how they performed AET against Germany and in Penalties against France. We were even money at best (even with the extra man).

I actually think the Italy game was the best (at least most even) referee for us. He really only made 2 mistakes, it's just unfortunate that both of them affected the game so much.

For me I am more pissed off now (still) with the Croatia game. We deserved 2 more blatant penalties, Croatia should have gone a man down, and we had a shot going across the line (despite another blatant penalty) as he blew the whistle. People only remember statistics and our statistics show us as the worst round of 16 team. the win against Croatia would have changed us to be closer to were we deserved.

13. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004

I think he'll be shot before he can even deny. Especially after the penalty shootout, how he said penalties shouldn't decide a WC, after all italy had lost a WC in 94, but such a statement was never made until italy won the WC. Then not presenting Italy the WC trophy.

We don't need this clown to go in to bat for us. For instance what if a result goes in Australia's favour due to a referees decision, most people would target Australia because Blatter is making out he's Australia's b1tch. We'll forever hear - fifa sticks up for Australia, the referees are rigged for Aus and so on.
    If he wants to apologise he should apologise to every country who got a bad decision. Not just us, otherwise it becomes a conflict of interest.

14. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya

Exactly.

It was a shit call. We don't need Blatter to tell us that. Italy were a man down and starting to flag, we had the better of the play - who knows, maybe if the match had gone on we'd have put the game away. We all knew this when it happened.

Big deal, it happens, we're over it. It was 4 months ago, it's pointless to bring it up. Bad calls are part of football, everyone gets them. Bring on 2010.

15. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Italy are deserved winners.:)

16. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005

Against the australia match or france match?

17. domdom

domdom New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Hey genius, why don't you talk about how italy was kicking australia's ass up to the point that the idiot ref gave a bullcrap straight red to Materazzi? The way "I" figure it, if the ref didn't screw up then, italy would have scored a couple of goals and the penaly wouldn't be a topic. Or did you forget the game before that bogus call?

Lets also talk about the australian man advantage that they couldn't exploit, how pathetic. Half a game, up a man and their offense sucked so bad that they couldn't score? Or was italy just to good at defence? Or was the miriacal coach to stupid to push forward? Austrailia had their chance and it was a chance they wouldn't have had, had the game been called properly.

"Italy should face punishmen" lol what a joke statement, so should Austrailia be punished for the crazy red on Materazzi?

18. M Lo

M Lo Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Sydney
    Are you joking or what?

Take off your blinkers. Too late for these match analysis experts that think they are also goal predictors.

It was a fairly poised game with both teams having chances and both teams making some obvious errors.

Game is over.

19. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He didn't respond.Maybe the school bell rang and he's back in class. :eek: :eek:

20. M Lo

M Lo Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Sydney
    Yeh perhaps bambam had to go and watch the flinstones.

21. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    Just found it ironic how well your post fit another game involving Italy. :)

22. domdom

domdom New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    The reality is this, in 4 years we'll be fighting for the cup in the semi's or finals (unless bladder gives retard marching orders again) and your team will be lucky to even make it. If it wasn't for Uruguay chocking mangnificently you blind dummies wouldn't have anything to talk about. lol

Watch the game again, and pretend you're not Australian, also, there's a thread with a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2PgG8j0gyQ with a slow motion shot of your Neil. You tell me, what do you see his left hand doing, and as far as the rules go, It was a penalty. WHAT WAS NEIL DOING ON THE GROUND? Looking Kangaroo doodoo?

Now break out the tissue, and have yourselves a good cry again, bottom line though your team didn't have what it took to get it done and like your coach said. "Its our fault, all we had to do was score a goal" with a man advantage, at that level, that's a huge advantage. An advantage that was a gift, Neil gave it back. Tough. Remember, EVEN IF the goal didn't count, do you think it was a lock that you were going to win? and the only reason that Matarazzi red isn't being talked about is because Italy won. Otherwise, the bogus red card would be the talk of that game.

ps. Yes I'm trying to bust balls here with you guys and to be honest, I've never met an ozzy I didn't like, untill this past world cup that is, and now it seams you guys have gone completely nuts over it.

23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Gotta love Italians. Poor losers in 2002 and worse winners in 2006. The majority of the world thought it was a poor call, but maybe thats just because everyone hates Italians. You guys have bigger chips on your shoulders than any Kiwi or queenslander I've ever seen.

24. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Mod's Note...

Yawn. Tournament's over. domdom - if you wanted to troll, 4 months ago was the time to do it. Nobody's interested any more.

Thread's closed.