FIFA removes age limit for switching national teams

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ThreeApples, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    and to be mroe sure he started against Brazil in the Emirates. African teams look much stronger and so do carribean teams. this makes players easy pickings for smaller weaker known teams now.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is there a link to a release or a media report showing the call-ups for those games?

3. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Thats what I told him.

I don't think he is in our immediate plans.

He plays left mid for us not leftback.

We have Salcido at leftback his backup is my teams' (Club America) rightback (Oscar Rojas). As the third option we have Fausto Pinto of Cruz Azul.

As for left mid where Castillo plays for the national team.

Unless he improves tremendously and becomes world class he is going to be behind, Guardado for the next decade. Plus, Vela and Gio can play that position also.

Castillo has been playing like sh*t for the past year. Santos sold him, to my club. I guess the America officials thought he could regain his form, but he has just gotten worse.

To tell you the truth hopefully he starts for you guys when you come to Azteca. Gio would eat him alive. ;)

4. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friendlies don't remove the option of making a one-time change of associations.

There was a period where the letter of the rule indicated that they did, and many kittens were sacrificed in the debates over the implications for one Freddy Adu (who had appeared for us in age-group official games and a senior friendly), but a year ago or so FIFA amended the rule so that the part about senior team appearances uses the same language as the general cap-tie rules: only official competition ties.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I thought you found a rule saying that if you played in a Olympic Qualifer it counted? Because Zak Whitbread was our LB for the 04 squad.

6. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This new rule helps teams like T&T a lot.

This is who they stand to gain:
    Robbie Findley
    Quaveris Kirk
    Kamani Hill (maybe in the future; I don't think Hill has given up on the USMNT)
    And some other guys who don't pan out in the US system in the future (Aaron Maund comes to mind) not to mention all the guys who played for England's youth system. :eek:.

Really the only high(ish) profile player we stand to lose is A. Alvarez to El Salvador (wouldn't be surprised to see him in the next round WCQ for them).

I doubt Holden could make it for Scotland even tough midfield is their weakest area, but it's a possibility. Ferrari and Zizzo won't hear from the Azzuri any time soon. Buddle may switch to Jamaica. If Jeremy Hall never makes it with the US, I could see him with Panama or Puerto Rico. Regardless of talent Aleco could never play for Iran. Alex Nimo looks to be destined for Liberia.

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An Olympic qualifier counts as an official youth match.

8. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    I think this is the way it should be....especially with South American and African players who get stuck being cap tied to other nations.

Anyway, this will be good for BS too .........more traffic........:)

9. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    fyp

10. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    ive argued this point a while back in favor of dropping the age an its awesome to see it come to fruition

11. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether or not you think this is a good move by FIFA, this does stand to work against the USA...not because I think we'll see a mass exodus of American players to other countries like T&T, but because this opens up a whole new pool of players for other 2nd and 3rd tier nations, particularly the former African colonies.

This move will really benefit nations like Cameroon, Senegal, Nigeria, Algeria, etc, as well as a few Caribbean countries (Jamaica and T&T), and should mean tougher competition for our national team.

12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can only switch once!

Maund is cap-tied to the US.

13. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well apparantly Gio had some trouble scoring on an essentially empty net. So, until he can hit water when he jumps out of a boat in the ocean, it's best to not look at him in a "hes better than (insert player here)" kind of way

14. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. merhanng

merhanng New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Bonn
    Jermaine Jones should now be eligible, as his only appearances for Germany were in 3 friendlies last year. Despite being one of the best DMs in the Bundesliga, and the most consistent field player on a decent side (Schalke), he's basically been given the cold shoulder from Jogi Löw in recent months. He would be an instant starter for us.

16. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rules changed.. that's the point of this thread. If you are only cap-tied via a youth-NT appearances you can switch past your 21st birthday. Olympic qualifying is a Youth-NT appearance.

His only apperances for the senior team were friendlies and they don't count for cap-tying.

As long as Castillo doesn't play in an official match for Mexico's senior team, he can switch to play for us.

17. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, then why are we posting on this thread and not bombarding him with phone calls and raising money to get him to chicago? And we could use a better defending midfielder now that Mastro played that bad, and Jones seems perfect.

18. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen, this will work for the USA because the players of African descent who we have, as listed by our generous poster with the list, all do not concern the USA much at this point. The ones we are concerned with are still under 21, and thus the situation remains the same. Sure those countries may gain more than we will, but not at our expense. Sure they'll benefit more, but we still benefit nonetheless.

19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001

I was reading the Voyageurs Board, and for Canada, this probably re-opens Jon DeGuzman and a starting keeper in the Bundesliga, Daniel Fernandes. Although the latter might get officially tied, sealed, and stamped to Portugal this weekend, apparently. O'Brian White is another possibility for them.

I was wondering about Jones and the US.

20. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me reiterate this. I think this will hurt the USA because it opens up the player pools for African countries more than it will for us. I never said that I think we'll lose a bunch of quality player from our pool who will now defect to smaller countries (though I would still be disappointed to lose guys like Alvarez).

21. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Im pretty sure Sven called Castillo up for the Honduras game that we lost 3-1. I guess you have to actually play for it to count though. Castillo is not in our list for the ES and T&T games.

22. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Great news for francophone countries.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen the kid play, but I say with full and utter confidence: he's better than Beasley.

24. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    I would say that this makes it official:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/bodies/media/newsid=1065926.html

Change of association (art. 18 of the Regulations Governing the Application of the FIFA Statutes)
    58% of the Congress members approved an amendment to the current article. So far, players eligible to change associations in order to play for another national team could only do so until their 21st birthday. The Congress has now decided to lift this age limit, but has maintained all the other provisions of art. 18.

1 person likes this.
  25. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, let's do it.. Let's go get our LB!