FIFA removes age limit for switching national teams

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ThreeApples, Jun 3, 2009.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he plays in the Gold Cup as he is widely expected to do, he will be permanently cap-tied to the USA.

This will probably be a non-issue tomorrow

2. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a non-issue. And a nice header for the goal as well! Looks like we played nearly all the players on the GC roster that didn't have caps yet.

3. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Without double-checking, I was virtually certain Myhill has played in a WCQ for Wales.

EDIT: Now after looking again, all five Wales appearances might have been friendlies? http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=4680&cc=5901

If he's eligible to switch, I actually think he'd be No. 2 behind Howard. He's better than Guzan at this stage.

4. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever heard someone truly speak full on Scot? It's totally incomprehensible to most Americans. I once saw a movie that had been filmed in Glasgow and had to read the German subtitles to understand what they were saying in English - and my German is not that great. More power to you if you can follow that dialect.

5. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have all been in friendlies.

Hennessey is very young, and won't relinquish that spot anytime for Myhill to grab. His best shot is with the USA for 2018 maybe.

6. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure they weren't speaking the native Scottish language and not a dialect of English?

Because you shouldn't be able to understand that no matter your grasp of English.

7. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    If that's Myhill's choice, he should stick with Wales. He has a much better chance of unseating Hennessey than rooting for Howard to get injured in the next five years, and the US should have several keepers coming up that would be a threat once Howard is no longer the No. 1.

8. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    The "native" language with about 60.000 speakers as a second language, and virtually zero native speakers?

9. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Native, as in language of the original people of that area. Also, are you saying it's impossible that a film would have been made using that language?

And the terms you use are a bit misleading. I'm pretty sure everyone in Scotland that knows that language was taught by family members or teachers that a couple of generations back were native speakers. Hell, you're basically arguing semantics.

It was their language before their conquerors made them speak otherwise. Seems like a "native" language to me. It's a second language because they have to speak English and their schools teach English. I'm still not sure what you mean by "virtually zero native speakers". Do you mean people that only speak Scots Gaelic? That's not the definition of native.

Oh, I see, it is a semantic argument. Apparently, in linguistics, a native language is the first language that someone speaks. The language that they were taught at home. Well, if children in the 1800s weren't beaten in school for speaking then it still would be the language.

Go ask any Scot, and I'm pretty sure that if you asked them what the native language of Scotland is and they'd say Gaelic.

I see that the language isn't as popular as I thought and it's unlikely that he saw a film with a lot of it in use. I guess that was the point of your comment. You could have just said that. By the posters use of the term "full on Scot" it made me think of Gaelic. I apologize if that offended you.

10. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Confusingly, the situation with languages in Scotland is even more complicated than previously described in this thread. In addition to Scots Gaelic and Scottish English, as already linked by City Dave, there may also be a third language, known simply as Scots:
    Faither o us aa, bidin abune,
    thy name be halie.
    Let thy reign begin.
    Thy will be dune, on the erthe,
    as it is in Hevin.
    Gie us ilka day oor needfu fendin
    an forgie us aa oor ill-deeds,
    e’en as we forgie thae wha dae us ill
    as lat us no be testit,
    but sauf us frae the Ill-Ane,
    [for the croon is thine ain,
    an the micht,
    an the glorie,
    for iver an iver.]

11. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    I could understand it. I can understand Italian even though I can't speak a word of it, thanks to the couple languages I know.