FIFA: Re-run of 2022 World Cup vote a possibility

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LiverAndPineapple, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    FIFA absolutely, positively will not win a war with the Big 4 leagues. No way, no how.

And Sepp Blatter, politician and panderer that he is, has to know that. But with as much money as Petrobucks have pumped into the game, I suppose that this has to get dragged out until the last minute.

2. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can say the big 4 saying to FIFA, "The only way we go along with a winter WC is if we get to share in revenue."

3. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of accepting bribes in the first place?

4. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, well, I think many or most of the folks who accepted the bribes when making this vote, will be retired, dead, or simply have moved on to some other jobs by the time 2022 comes around, so what do they care. Blatter will be in his mid-80's by 2022. I think these folks just wanted to take the money and run.

Wessoman repped this.
  5. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something tells me that you are right. It's unprecedented that two World Cups would be decided in such a manner. I bet you anything that the 2021 Confederations Cup (Which has to be played in summer) will be an abject failure, and I will wager the Cup will be moved elsewhere (Probably the US) on short notice. The people who took the money will be long gone, and Qatar will learn a lesson--Money can't buy you everything.

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, FIFA is almost totally corrupt. Didn't the woman they hired to help them become "transparent and accountable" just quit in frustration?

My point is, I'm not so sure the US bid that won in 1994 was on the level either, and I'm sure many footballing nations with better tradition were angry when the US got the bid. Heck, we didn't really even have a league at the time. Plus, in terms of corruption, has everyone forgot the Salt Lake City Olympic bid?

Are we (I'm in the US) mad at the corruption, or just mad that the Qataris out corrupted us? Maybe a little of both?

7. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    The whole World Cup in Qatar thing is a total joke and everyone knows lots and lots of cash was involved....I just wish the major football playing countries would get together, grow some balls and tell Blatter and FIFA to go F themselves.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hmm.
    Maybe if the USA decided to boycott and did not allow anyone to purchase tickets it would get them where it really hurts.
    Remember the most ticket request/tickets sold during the last world cup came from the USA.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    The thing about Qatar is that while they're a wealthy country, they're not that wealthy. They're entire GDP is around $180 billion per year. Yet they're proposing spending the equivalent of over half of their annual GDP on infrastructure to support a 6 week tournament....infrastructure that will be virtually useless after the fact.

This has all the signs of a lottery winner pissing away his money. Right now its all on paper. It will be interesting to see what happens when the time comes to really start writing the checks.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think anyone really cares about the corruption. Doping, match fixing, etc. is everywhere. For those that watch sports, if you don't have a bit of cynicism these days not sure you fully understand high level athletics.

That said:
    1. in '94, the US offered top class stadiums and infrastructure (plus a great vacation) for those wanting to be at the WC. Plus, there was a track record to hold a major event such as the Olympics.
    2. in '02 Salt Lake City - money or no money was a clear quality choice for a winter Olympics.

In this case Qatar offers neither of these in June. Stadiums don't exist (nor is there a use for them after the WC) and the weather is a huge issue, if not a danger.

11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Qatar will have top class stadiums and infrastructure aswell in 2022. The only difference being within a much smaller area.

Qatar has hosted the Asian Games and the Asian Games are massive in Asia. They've hosted the Asian Cup, so they can handle themselves just aswell as anybody else.

You comment on the stadiums after the world cup, they know they haven't any use, that's why they are dismantling and passing on to other countries.

The weather is an issue and that's why FIFA are looking to move it.

To be honest Qatar can't win on this issue, everyone complains if they play in Summer, everyone complains if they play in Winter. But they are happy to play whenever, it's just 4 or 5 nations that are having a dicky fit on this issue, and to be frank, they aren't making any noise about it.

Germany are now preparing schedules so they can be ready for summer 2022. England don't even say anything because they never think outside of the Premier League, they live in a bubble.

12. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know how I know you've never seen the 2011 Asia Cup? It was a complete disaster. Obviously fixed matches, terrible accomidations, more than half-empty stadiums, and the spectacle of having more than half of the Australian fans locked out of the final and replaced with locals. I mean, who locks out fans THIRTY minutes before the match? The fans had not begun the March-In.

Had the 2011 Asian Cup been a World Cup, there would have been massive calls for NATO to invade Switzerland and apprehend Sepp Blatter as a war criminal. Okay, I am being facetious, but not by much.

"Handle themselves as well as anybody else?". The only thing I got from the 2011 Asia Cup was that Qatar have no business hosting an international tournament. They put up far worse numbers than the 1984 Olympic Soccer events, an event that showed FIFA that maybe holding a tournament in the US was a good idea (It was).

And remember, the 2011 Asia Cup was held in the winter. They won't have that luxury for the World Cup.

adi21 and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Hey look, it's this guy in this thread in this forum making excuses for that terrible terrible decision.

14. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    If you know anything about me then you will know I watched the Asian Cup. I doubt you did there in America.

Like I said before, they have hosted the Asian Games which is somewhat even bigger than the Asian Cup, so I think they can handle themselves, don't you?

As to say the 2011 Asian Cup was fixed, where you going here with that? Fixed in Japan's favour I take it then since they won the damm thing?

As for numbers, I don't care about the numbers, how does this show that Qatar cannot host? It just shows nobody went which isn't actually unusual for the Asian game.

15. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    But I thought the Asian Games were really huge in Asia. I know this because it was one of your rationalizations for giving the biggest tournament in the world to a corrupt petrostate the size of Cook County, IL.

16. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Your right, the Asian Games are huge, I never said it wasn't. The Asian Games are much bigger than the Asian Cup - do you understand the difference?

Qatar have hosted both which shows they can host which is the whole point to my previous replies

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    That is not the case for the WC. They are going to have to be able to handle multiple thousands of fans.

18. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008

They hosted-poorly-a tournament with about .01% of the infrastructural demands of the World Cup.

It's like saying I'm qualified to host the Super Bowl because of a pickup touch football game I had once in my backyard.

But whatever. I know better than to think rationality is going to suddenly dawn over you.

19. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, when you ASSUME, you make an...You (should) know the rest. Except is,I think you are only making a fool of yourself. You do realize with something called internet streaming, if you really want to watch the Asia cup in the US, you can. (Thanks to the NHK feed.)

First of all, who cares about the Asian Games. We are talking about Football tournaments, especially the World Cup, which quite frankly is much bigger than the Olympics, the Goodwill games, the Twin Galaxies Donkey Kong tournament, or any other "Games" you can think of.

And please go to the Japan forum and say that the 2011 Asia Cup was fixed in Japan's favor. Make sure you post the Qatar/Japan game when you do that. And do try to say that with a straight face. Really, the cup was a farce.

And look--You just said you "Don't care about numbers". That's the only way one can logically support a World Cup in the middle of summer in one of the hottest places on earth.

Wow. Just...Wow.

FLSoccerGran and cnaw repped this.
  20. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And before I go, here is a lovely video of Australian fans locked out of the Final they rightfully purchased tickets to. Enjoy a taste of the future, lads!

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Check out this slideshow presentation BBC recently put out on the subject. Pretty shocking:

In pictures: Brazil's World Cup progress

22. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA feels differently then you do about a Winter WC, I take their new releases over your comment of "its all OK".

23. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said it right when the decision came down and I will still say it up until 2022; Qatar has no business hosting a World Cup and there are several reasons why which I won't rehash here--that's the reason I'm pissed. Had Australia, UK, or Japan won the bid then I would have been disappointed but I would have been okay with any of those countries being chosen. The fact that FIFA allowed dirty money to influence what is going to be a terrible decision is the reason many people (not just US fans) are pissed about this.

Hopefully logic and reason will prevail and they will take it away from Qatar and give it to a more deserving country.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    These aren't just any old "complaints". A summer World Cup in Qatar poses serious health risks.

And they might be happy to host it whenever, but the bid they presented was one for the summer, which is the one FIFA accepted. It's bullshit to try and change that now.

FLSoccerGran and Trav-Man repped this.
  25. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone needs to chill out and study a lot more on how high-stakes cons work. I really think Sepp and his friends are pulling a first-rate one on Qatar. The only open question is how much of the bribes were paid up-front. Sepp + friends would be fools not to demand 100% before their vote, but Petrofiends would be fools to pay in advance. I'm going to assume that the money was a little stupid (because they are acting really stupid and Sepp's been at this corruption game FAR too long and iced Bin Hammam, which was a big part of the con) and paid most of Sepp's money.

The con will play out by letting Qatar think they got what they bought for as long as possible. FIFA, however, won't go to war with UEFA or the Big 5 leagues over this event- it's just not worth the risk. However, in order to not wind up dead (no exaggeration) after the switch is announced, Sepp needs someone else to force this issue- that will probably be the leagues/UEFA. So expect the tension to mount over the coming years. It will simmer and simmer, but ultimately explode before the switch is made. Personally, I think that Sepp will step down first and allow someone clean to make the switch- that's the perfect ending to the con. Also, I expect the switch to go to Australia, not the USA. That way they help neutralize outrage in AFC by keeping the event in the same federation.

OGx3, WrmBrnr and adi21 repped this.