FIFA: Re-run of 2022 World Cup vote a possibility

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LiverAndPineapple, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    This thread seems relevant enough to bump for this news:

So much for air-conditioned stadiums:

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/ne...up-architects-telling-qatar-ditch-ac-stadiums

Saw this one coming from a mile away..

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    No kidding. The pie-in-the-sky (or floating iPod in the sky) nature of the claims of quickly developing new technology to make all this feasible were so far-fetched as to be comic.

Unfortunately, I doubt this admission is going to change much. Apart from the British soccer press (and even among them) this is already feeling like a "what's done is done" scenario.

3. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, let's get this straight. The 2022 World Cup will be held in the summer and the venues won't be air conditioned.

Considering money is no object to the Qataris, I don't understand why they don't just build domed/retractable roof stadiums. Then the games can be climate controlled, no?

4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I don't understand this either, and have asked myself that question a million times.

5. MesaATLien

MesaATLien Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, considering their whole bid was based on open air, advanced design, it would make them seem even more hokey if they went back on yet another promise and actually built domed stadiums.

6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The American bid should have promised some matches on the moon complete with hot alien strippers for all Fifa dignitaries at the match.

The bid process was all about fantasy over reality anyway so why not?

We got hosed for being realistic and logical in the bid process when the actual merits of the bids themselves were completely irrelevant.

OGx3 repped this.
  7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because FIFA prefers open air venues. They don't want all the games being played in arenas.

mikeivan repped this.
  8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    let's be serious. There were bribes paid. This is about as far from fantasy as you can get.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be surprised if there wasn't corruption in the bid, but if some first world country got the bid twice out of six cups, we'd complain even more.

10. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    FIFA certainly likes to turn this into a "developed nations" vs. "undeveloped or developing nations" thing.

It never really had anything to do with that. South Africa hosted a great World Cup. Brazil will likely do the same.

However, Qatar is just a horrible, crappy place to be hosting a World Cup. I wouldn't have minded if the US lost to any of the other bidding nations for 2022. I'm actually planning on going to every World Cup for the rest of my life, so travelling to other countries would actually be better for me than spending the WC at home. But I might have to leave 2022 aside, because I really, really don't want to go to Qatar in the summer.

11. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was always one of those nonsense items from a cost perspective. University of Phoenix and Reliant stadiums are both grass fields despite having climate controlled roofs. Qatar could have had that and be much more cost effective than what they actually proposed.

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    BTW, could we change the name of the thread to something more reflecting the fact that it's more of a 2022 WC vote kerfluffle (and a worthy one, too), rather than news that a re-vote is on the table?

Or at least until that changes. Every time this gets bumped I'm hoping against hope that someone has actual news of a re-vote, but of course such hopes are quickly dashed...

COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Blatter: Still time for 2022 Qatar World Cup winter switch
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23351824

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  15. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sepp Blatter=jump off a cliff

adi21 repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Just give that WC to the US already

FLSoccerGran, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I remember that game. It was supposedly the one most attended, but the stadium looked like less than half full. Not even 20,000 people in a stadium for 45,000. And the game itself was scandalous.

Reminds me of the oil/industrial tycoons buying teams and using them for "laundering money." Perhaps the whole World Cup of 2022 is a giant laundering operation.

Be as it may, I bet the hosting won't change, and some day in the future we'll get to know the truth about the Blatter regime, hailed by many as the most corrupt FIFA period ever.

FLSoccerGran, adi21 and england66 repped this.
  18. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're going to suspend play in the middle of the season for a WC? ahahaha

You deserve all the criticism you get Blatter.

FLSoccerGran, Pl@ymaker and Wessoman repped this.
  19. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just give it to the US or Australia already (preferably US, but would have no qualms with the Aussies hosting it.). The sheer fact that they chose Qatar is turning into one train wreck after another.

20. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    He also said Brazil might have been a mistake because of the protests. They have to make sure there are no protests. I am calling it now...riots, destruction of property and tear gas in the stadiums will be what is remembered next year. The soccer will be 2nd.

Gee whiz I thought checking if a country's infrastructure can even support a WC was supposed to be part of the process. I guess after S Africa this should not surprise me. You combine Brazil, Quatar and Russia and it is shockingly corrupt to the core.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  21. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Even more shocking about it being awarded to Brazil? When FIFA was accepting bids for 2014, CONMEBOL was the next confederation in line according to FIFA's continental rotation policy (at that time anyway). Brazil ended up being the only country to bid.

22. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001

That is not a set in stone rule.

Brazil's infrastructure is shockingly inadequate for a tournament like this. They literally can not get people and teams to stadiums from airports. Basic plumbing and services can not support the number of people coming in. Stadiums might not be finished in time.

The riots were going to get much much larger for the WC. It might get nasty.

Go read Romario's critique about it. It is shocking how bad the situation is there.

23. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With their GDP, it's just ridiculous that they don't have the basic infrastructure. Greed in a bitch.

24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    FIFA now loves them venues that are not truly democratic....more so after seeing the situation in Brazil for the Confed Cup.....Qatar and Russia are perfect for Blatter and the rest of the crooks....as there will NOT be any riots in either place....(Putin will bash your f'in brains in )seriously doubt we will ever see a World Cup in a true democracy ever again as long as the inmates continue to run (and the big global sponsors continue to support) the asylum that is FIFA... what a total, blatant joke they are.

25. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's simply not going to happen. I can see all the big Euro leagues collectively giving Sepp the middle finger. And seriously, just move it to Australia or the US already.

england66 repped this.