FIFA: Re-run of 2022 World Cup vote a possibility

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LiverAndPineapple, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yeah the "s" is key; you have to be careful in distinguishing the two continents. Europe, Asia and Africa aren't one continent either. (still waiting for mods to close thread)

3. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. (you know you could always volunteer to become a moderator instead of just kvetching)

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I refuse.

5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you were getting at whether the United States has a national team and then you blame others for making a dumb post and say they are trolling.

Love it

6. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It's a joke, you silly goose. Everyone here knows that Qatar has a team that was an Asian Cup semifinalist this year.

You seem like you need a hug

7. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a mod. I notified them myself.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes - they made the world youth cup final in 1981 but lost to West Germay, also almost made the world cup in 1998 but lost the final decisive match to Saudi Arabia. Since then, Qatar has consistantly made the final rounds of Asian WCQ and Asian Championships but consistantly fail to break into the top-tier of Asian superpower houses due mainly I guess to the small local population (there's only around 350,000 bonafide Qataris in the country itself). They've made a bit of a habit of naturalising non-nationals for the national team as many have pointed out. Qatar's maybe the equivelant of Trinidad or Guatemala in CONCACAF I guess you could say.

Anyhoo - all's quiet over here regarding this, should be interesting to see how it all turns out.....

9. ifhockey24

ifhockey24 Member

May 5, 2011
    Come on guys, let's stop the trolling. Qatar definitely has a national team as seen here: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNv7pHsGAlI"]YouTube - ‪Worst Miss In The History Of Football? Fahad Khalfan vs. Uzbekistan‬‏[/ame]

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hee hee... well, then again there was always this one which's a close second...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOPh-9J-BWY"]YouTube - ‪Landon Donovan Fail‬‏[/ame]

11. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry but this just made my whole entire day.

Wow, thats probably the saddest thing I saw, thanks for once again ruining my day..
    But then again, I saw the defender take down his own goalkeeper like if it were rugby.

12. ECUA-718

ECUA-718 Member

Apr 9, 2010
    I hope there's a re-vote , a world cup in qatar makes no sense !!!

13. ifhockey24

ifhockey24 Member

May 5, 2011

lol, i knew someone would reply with something like this, but it's all in good fun

At least it's a 2-0 game! Actually, I think landon's fail against NY red bulls might have actually been worse than this one

14. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you looked closely, one of the Canadian defenders actually knocks down his own goalkeeper, thats funny.

15. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the rabbits have gotten under the fence

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    1) The place is about the size of Yorkshire.

2) Hot as Hades

3) Doubt many foreign fans will show and the locals sure as fcuk won't make up the diff.

4) No football history or culture.

5) Nothing for the fans to do between games except sweat.

6) Had to bribe 3rd world ex co members to get it.

7) Fans will struggle to be able to get a beer.

17. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England

18. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    LOL!

Wait, are you serious?

19. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Yes, where's the evidence? I heard of alleagtions about 4 people, but your friend says it's 3. How many is it today?

Are you serious, what you debating about?

20. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    You know, sending me a homophobic PM probably isn't the best way to improve the image of Qatar as a repressive, brutal country that demonizes homosexuals. What an absolute joke this whole thing is.

21. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not one that thinks having a lack of footballing history should effect whether a nation gets the cup (in fact I think the cup should have gone to Australia), but how does a Qatari team winning a Qatari Cup effect whether Qatar has a better footballing history than the US?

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

23. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay folks, it's time to return to the regularly scheduled programming.

24. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. If T&T and Guatemala played at home with officials that crooked, they would have beaten Japan.

Qatar, with all it's mercenary players, had effectively a 12th man in Subkhiddin Mohd Salleh. That was quite possibly the worst officiated match I had ever seen. It was like watching USA v Costa Rica 2000, USA v Germany 2002, USA v Poland 2002, the Confederations Cup red cards, and USA v Slovenija 2010 ALL ROLLED UP INTO ONE MATCH. Yet despite Japan playing down a man with practically every Qatari tackle being studs up or using an elbow and having a goal disallowed, the Qataris still managed to get creamed by the Samurai Blue.

It's insulting to Guatemala and T&T to compare them to Qatar. T&T and Guatemala may play dirty and do have the officials in their pocket at home, but they never have such blatant bias in their officiating, and at least they can stay competitive against the USA and Mexico. To have everything called your way and still lose 3-2 is terrible. And that was just against Japan. They had the golden officials through the group stage.

And let's not begin to address Qatar's "Fans", or their handling of their Asia Cup.

As far as "No footballing history or culture", to those who doubt the US, check out the average attendance for the 2011 Asia Cup. Now check out the average attendance for Soccer at the 1984 Olympics. The results may surprise you. ;) A LOT.

In 1984, the USA was indeed a footballing backwater. But even back then, the USA could put on a better tournament than Qatar could. In fact, the success of the 84 Olympics is partly what got us the 1994 bid, which still remains the most financially successful World Cup in history.

I hate to drag this off topic, but I have seen no logical reason, especially after the farcical 2011 Asia Cup, to award Qatar even a regional U20 tournament. It was, quite frankly, the worst of the 2022 bids.

Here's to Australia winning a recount, if it happens. To quote Marsellus from Pulp Fiction, FIFA just lost their LA privileges.