FIFA rankings/ WC seeding thread revisited

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by eldiablito, Jul 30, 2003.

1. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    http://fifa.com/en/rank/index.html?ttl=480

The new FIFA rankings came out and due to Gold Cup performance, Mexico is now ranked #5. For those that monitor the FIFA coke rankings, this should come as no surprise as they won the tournament, beating Brazil twice in the process. USA had a rather disappointing showing and stayed firm at number 9.

Mexico's jump to 5 should help them solidify a seed for WC '06 (as long as they relatively maintain their ranking).

I'm expecting Jeff to update us soon on the formula, so I'm getting the ball rolling.

The important date is December's rankings--five months from now. At that point, I'd expect Mexico to be around 7 or 8; and USA at around 11.

2. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Indeed, I will be updating it soon.

I expect to get it done around 5:00 CST today.

3. jhawkinva

jhawkinva New Member

May 27, 2003
    Northern VA
    Thanks Jeff.

4. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Are there enough meaniful games for #6-10 on the list between now and December to even give them the opportunity to catch Mexico?

5. jhawkinva

jhawkinva New Member

May 27, 2003
    Northern VA
    England, Germany, and Turkey have Euro qualifiers. Turkey also plays at Ireland in a friendly that could be worth some points. Argentina has WCQ and USA doesn't have any games scheduled. (insert frown)

6. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

What is wrong with you people?

7. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    The Mexican team is full of diva-likes, vedettes wannabes who fly first class, dine at plush restaurants and sleep in five-star hotels during tours.

On the field they behave as the perennial whiners who they are, lacking attitude and character.

They are spoiled to the chore and dream only about bonuses and "primas". Ditto: Money.

Do we --as Mexicans-- believe to be superior to England, Holland, Germany, Italy, Denmark, or the U.S. for that matter?

In our dreams...

We don't know what to deplore more: Fifa's senseless cacumen or the Mexican team's unrealistic approach...

8. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Ask and it shall be given unto you...

1. Brazil.....42.33
    2. Germany....37.17
    3. Spain.....31.17
    4. Mexico....30.33
    5. Italy.....29.83
    6. England.....29.17
    7. Denmark....26.67
    8. Argentina....26.33
    T. USA..........26.33
    10.France......25.00
    11. Turkey....23.67
    T. Netherlands....23.67
    13. South Korea...21.33
    14. Belgium.....21.17
    15. Sweden......19.67

Big jump by Mexico. Shouldn't be surprized, they have done well in the WCFs, its been the FIFA ranking holding them back.

Argentina fall in the FIFA rankings droped them down to the USA's level. Dont expect this to stay the same. WCQ in CONMEBOL starts soon and the USA doesn't have another game until....well...sometime.

France is still hurt by poor WCFs preformaces and they need others to loose inorder to move up. Their FIFA ranking is as good as its going to get.

The USA was hurt in a big way by not winning the Gold Cup. Not going to the Confeds Cup 05 and Copa America (but we may still get invited) is a big hit. A win over Mexico would have stamped down the Mexican's jump into the top five and put us up into the top 7.

If the USA is not seeded in three years, look at the Gibbs' handball as the reason why.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I can't believe how bad we suck. We had four wins, one loss and outscored our opponents 13 to 4 (had 3 shutouts) and only lost to the #1 ranked team in the world. Man, we suck! :rolleyes:

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    you have got to be kidding right? gibbs handball that stopped a certain goal against brazil?

holy shit i thought i had just about read it all on these boards...but yet people continue to amaze me.

11. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: Re: FIFA rankings/ WC seeding thread revisited

Group seeding for the world cup does not rely simply on ranking. There is a whole formula that fifa calculates. It is pretty big on # of wc appearences and wc success. Since hollland missed out for the last WC, mexico was the team next in line to head a group. Had there only been 1 host country, mexico would have been a group head.

12. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Re: Re: Re: FIFA rankings/ WC seeding thread revisited

Thank you, but I am already well aware of this. Past performances are already locked in. I think Mex is #5 or 6 in that regard. So the only factors that matter now are, I believe, the 3 year-end FIFA rankings prior to the WC. The original thread on this lists the prior WC rankings. I think that if Mex can stay in the top ten for the next 3 year-end rankings it will be almost impossible not for them to be seeded. Having a #5 this December would make that all the more likely.

13. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: Re: FIFA rankings/ WC seeding thread revisited

yeah and the great scoring rally were against the likes of Martinique + Salvador....face real competition and then talk...

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: FIFA rankings/ WC seeding thread revisited

We put three in against Costa Rica...the 17th ranked team in the world. So, I guess I will start talking.

15. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: Re: Re: Re: FIFA rankings/ WC seeding thread revisited

...let's see you 9th place...CR in 17th place...almost lost the game, but won by the minimum difference in home soil....not overpowering I would have to say

16. jhawkinva

jhawkinva New Member

May 27, 2003
    Northern VA
    What about two of our top players being injured (McBride and Reyna; although maybe Reyna got some minutes, don't remember). We also didn't bring in all of our top players.

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FIFA rankings/ WC seeding thread revisited

Horseshoes and hand grenades is where almost counts.

18. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But CR was also missing a couple of players du e tinjury, one being Wanchope who is their top striker... Believing that the US is the 9th best team in the world is like believing that Mexico truly is one of the top 5 in the world as well...

19. jhawkinva

jhawkinva New Member

May 27, 2003
    Northern VA
    I think both teams are overrated in that ranking. However, I still think Mexico has the bigger bs ranking.

20. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

that's all I was getting at....

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think any honest person can disagree with that.

22. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    OK fine, the goal in the 90th min vs Brazil will stop us from being seeded.

The point is the lose to Brazil will haunt us for a long time.

23. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    this seems to be different from the cocacola ranking. is this the ranking that counts for world cup qualifying or world cup itself?

24. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Neither. This is the results of the formula used by FIFA at the past two world cups to determin the top seeds that are drew into seperate groups in the first round of the world cup.

The formula has two equal parts, 1) results in the past three WCFs and 2) your relitive average FIFA rankings from the three Decembers before the final draw six months before the start of the event.

To do this I must make a few assumptions, two big ones. First, I have to guess the 32 teams that will be in the world cup finals and second, that your current FIFA ranking will remain the same over the next three years. It requires adjustment each month.

BTW, I currently have the rankings 1-32. If you want to know the full rankings, or the teams I inclued in the Final 32 then just ask. Also I have around 65 teams on the watch list to make the World Cup.

25. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Since it's altogether possible that one of the higher ranked teams won't qualify, the US has a good shot at it.

Regardless of the BS quality.