FIFA rankings are worthless

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by transburgh, Sep 4, 2008.

1. transburgh

transburgh New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Ohio, USA
    So I just got done reading about Mexicos jump in the rankings....WTF

The article had a good case on why Mexico should not have jumped us. Seriously though, they have played no one since the last rankings, how can they possible jump 8 spots?

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is hilarious. There was a worthless thread laughing at Mexicans for their teams fall in the rankings and now we have another one designed to precipitate crying by Americans about their JUMP in the rankings. Newsflash: the rankings are ALWAYS worthless. Therefore there is no need to start threads every time a new ranking comes out.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You're thread title is right.

The rankings are worthless, but not for the reasons given by the author.

Don't try figuring the rankings, you'll just give yourself a hernia.

Plus whoever wrote that is using a CONCACAF, US v Mexico, argument. Which really has nothing to do with it...............Mexico doesn't just play the United States over and over again.

The current rankings are also obviously schewed in favor of the teams that did well in the Euros. Why? Because they've beaten better teams more recently. Argentina isn't 7th in the world and everybody knows it............

4. transburgh

transburgh New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Ohio, USA
    Good point. I didn't even notice that Argentina was 7th, that is absurd.

5. Jamie Z.

Jamie Z. New Member

May 26, 2008
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed! The rankings are useless!

Now, why where we discussing them again?

6. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread Closed.

I can't actually do that.

7. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida

That was funny though. :p

8. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    That might be a useful blog if he explained how they jumped.

9. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The only sensible explanation is that there's some gypsy in the FIFA offices with a crystal ball, they give her a list with the names, she looks into her ball, gets a number and assigns it to a country.

Hey, is as good an explanation as any...:D

10. transburgh

transburgh New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Ohio, USA
    I think the point of the blog was there is no good explanation for the jump.

11. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    The funny thing is not that there is constantly a thread on the US board saying how the FIFA RANKINGS suck or that last month, they were used as evidence that US is better than Mexico. The funny thing is that you actually think that that worthless article makes a "good case"

Hmmm, lets see...

Since the last World Rankings, Mexico has only played world powerhouse Honduras in Mexico City (and had to come back from behind), and won 2-1.

And the US has played world powerhouse Guatemala, where is the logic in this and no, coming back from behind is not and should not be incorporated in the rankings, neither is playing away or at home.

Well it must be head-to-head matches against the US. Wait, Mexico has only beat the US twice out of 13 tries this decade, the last time being March of 2005 (that was 3 1/2 years ago). Mexico has been ahead of the US in the World Rankings most of this decade for no real reason. These current rankings show just how flawed the system is.

So do you think this is a good case? Following this simple logic, if head-to-head matchup should determine superiority in these rankings, then Mexico should be in the top five since they have OWNED Brazil in the last decade. It only logically follows.

Mexico does not even dominate their own continent but are the highest ranked in the continent 95% of the time. If the FIFA World Rankings cant even find the best team in a continent (there are only 6 with football teams on them, it shouldn’t be that hard) then how can they establish a proper top ten?

Mexico gets much better results away from Concacaf than the US. These are FiFa World Rankings not Fifa Concacaf Rankings, therefore, if you do better against the world, then you should be better ranked.

These Fifa rankings ARE very flawed, there is not question about it. However, they are not flawed for the reasons provided in that laughable entry. How someone could believe that that clown in making a good case is beyond comprehension. Logic is a beautiful thing.

12. anazarn

anazarn Member

May 27, 2008
    El Paso
    Club:
    CF Indios de Ciudad Juárez
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid, now that we all agree that the rankings are nonsense let us discuss the real issue at hand. Where does your Mexican baby get his teleporting cigarettes? Any ideas?

13. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Samoa down 22 places??? This is ridiculous, we easily belong in the top 20. FIFA is sh1t!

14. Fire Bradley

Fire Bradley Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the article, clearly someone misinformed and not very bright. It actually doesn't make any good points about a system that any smart fan already knows is severely flawed. So who cares if Mexico is ranked ahead of the United States? Even if the rankings were legit what would it prove? That a group of people think Mexico is better than the US. All I care about are the results on the field.

15. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    that article just shows that guy is obsessed with having the US on top of Mexico on a dumb ranking...

16. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think FIFA rankings are worthless. Nothing else exists except ELO rankings, where we are #17 vs #10 for Mexico. It doesn't seem like we could beat any of the teams ahead of us except Mexico and maybe Uruguay.
    That may be just about right for the current USMNT unfortunately.

17. HeMan

HeMan Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Earth
    How is Israel in the top 20? can anyone tell me what they've done to earn that ranking? when was the last major tournament they even qualified for?

But anyways, i personally think that FIFA should do only the top 25...if you're on the list, you're on the list...if not you're not ranked.

My list
    1. Spain
    2. Italy
    3. Argentina
    4. Germany
    5. Netherlands
    6. Portugal
    7. Brazil
    8. Turkey
    9. Croatia
    10. Czech Republic
    11. Russia
    12. Paraguay
    13. England
    14. France
    15. Sweden
    16. Nigeria
    17. Romania
    18. United States
    19. Mexico
    20. Ghana
    21. Poland
    22. Ivory Coast
    23. Greece
    24. Egypt
    25. Cameroon

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread: FIFA rankings are worthless

Original poster's next thread: Sun rises in the morning

19. BKcitystriker

BKcitystriker Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Isn't a mathematical system?

Anyway, that blogger basically gave no good point, it's a useless rant, about as useless as the ratings themselves.

And Solid -- you mention that Mexico gets better away results then the US in CONCACAF. It seems to me, however, that they can't even get an "Away" result at the only other real quality nation in CONCACAF, the US. And I say "Away" because we are both familiar with the US's lack of a true homefield advantage...

EDIT: I mis-read that. You meant better results outside of CONCACAF. My b

20. astroheader

astroheader New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello. I'm the author of that terrible blog post about the FIFA rankings.

I did go on somewhat of an off-topic rant about the US and Mexico without considering the variable that is the rest of the world.

The one objection I have to the comments is that I produced no good points. It is really simple. The rankings come out once a month. Mexico experienced an 8 point jump in one month. All I have to do is compare what has happened since the last rankings (in August) to keep the debate variables consistent.

Both the US and Mexico only played one game. They both won. So (in theory) since both teams they played were mid-level CONCACAF competitors, there would be no good reason for Mexico to jump 8 spots and over the US.

I do know the FIFA rankings hold no real weight but do remember that they do help determine who gets into Pot A of the World Cup draw. In 2006 Mexico was in Pot A eventhough the US had the most points in CONCACAF. That can be a big deal.

Thank you for the positive ;) feedback and I will be more precise in future posts. You guys should have put some of these comments on the blog so it looks like someone read it....lol.

21. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to BS Astro. If you're going to hang around, get used to people jumping all over everything you say.:)

22. astroheader

astroheader New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks prowazekii! The comments are no big deal. The article was weak and was a late night rant. Criticism is good and my writing (and points) do need to be improved.

23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That deserves rep ....... so here it is.

24. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    People, the rankings are based on the past FOUR years of games. The more recent games are weighted more heavily. So it's not just what happened in August, it's also what happened in August 4 years ago, because those results no longer count in the rankings. If the U.S. had a fantastic August in 2004 and Mexico had some poor results in August 2004, then those results are now wiped off the board, which could explain why Mexico jumps in the rankings.

That said, the rankings are a complete joke.

25. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If I remember well we beat Ghana in London...:confused: