Fifa officials to be extradited to the United States on corruption charges.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Jazzy Altidore, May 27, 2015.

1. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing except DOJ's statements to FIFA- they have been threatening the organization with it from day 1.

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Law enforcement agencies are full of threats they don't carry out for one reason or another.

3. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Wahl interview with Infantino on SI.com

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/04/14/gianni-infantino-fifa-president-equal-pay-world-cup

Infantino was apparently elected on a promise of every country association getting a significantly increased $5M in "development funding" every 4yr World Cup cycle. Lovely.

Wahl questioned how we can know that the money is being spent on actual development projects and not on personal enrichment of corrupt local officials.

Infantino's answer was essentially: Trust FIFA. We will make sure it is spent well.

Marko72 repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hilarious.

[​IMG]

I've loved soccer all my life, but with the corruption issues and the violence (the whole thing has become a secular religion), I'm having serious second thoughts about my own love of the game.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Vice with an excerpt from the book on Chuck.

neems and SamsArmySam repped this.
  6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Platini: UEFA president to resign after ban appeal fails
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36245660

neems and msilverstein47 repped this.
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Domenico Scala: FIFA's independent audit committee president resigns
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36293324

neems, ImaPuppy and msilverstein47 repped this.
  8. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Meet the new boss, a more polished version of the old boss.

9. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Yet more shenanigans being publicly acknowledged. This will go on for years if FIFA is going through any real reform.

http://www.dw.com/en/fifa-seeks-two-year-ban-for-former-dfb-president-niersbach/a-19270444

FIFA seeks two-year ban for former DFB President Niersbach
    The former president of the German FA could face a two-year ban from football as a result of a FIFA inquiry against him. Wolfgang Niersbach has denied any wrongdoing and said he would fight any attempt to ban him.
    A statement released by the adjudicatory chamber of FIFA's Ethics Committee on Friday announced that it had opened formal proceedings against Niersbach, who, in addition to being the former president of the German football association (DFB), was also a vice-president of the bid and organizing committee for the 2006 World Cup.

The statement said that the move came after careful study of a report by the Committee's investigatory chamber, which had launched an investigation two months ago into alleged wrongdoing by Niersbach. The statement did not detail the allegations against the former DFB boss, but it the investigatory chamber's investigation looked into a "possible failure to report" unethical conduct and conflicts of interest.

It said the investigatory chamber had recommended "a sanction of a two-year ban from all football-related activity and a fine of 30,000 Swiss francs" (30,000 euros, $30,300), and that Niersbach would be invited to present evidence in his defense and was free to request a hearing.

'A matter of honor'

Shortly after the adjudicatory chamber announced the formal proceedings against him, Niersbach, who has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, responded by saying he would fight any attempt to ban him from the game.

"It's a matter of honor and defense of my rights to oppose this request with all possible legal means," said in an interview with German news agency SID, where he once worked as a journalist.

"The penalty is incomprehensible. Especially when compared to other cases where the Ethics Commission has not made such harsh judgements in cases of personal advantage and corruption."

"In my case, the charge is based solely on the fact that I did not speak soon enough about things related to the 2006 World Cup," Niersbach concluded.

Niersbach, 65, resigned as DFB president amid a slush-fund scandal last year, which was related to Germany's successful bid to host the 2006 World Cup. However, he remains a member of the FIFA Council and the Executive Committee of soccer's European governing body, UEFA.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    FIFA: Swiss authorities seize documents and data from headquarters
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36445879

neems and Marko72 repped this.
  11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Same as it ever was.

12. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ImaPuppy repped this.
  13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
  14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    But shaping up to be even worse.....

15. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A US Supreme Court case having major implications for the US anti-FIFA anti-corruption cases was decided this week. The ruling described in detail HERE confirms the legality of using RICO statutes to go after people engaging in corrupt activities overseas which have a negative impact on the US.

Cliveworshipper, swedust and Burr repped this.
  16. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    This is really great news.

I don't even care anymore that the WC might actually get played in Qatar I just want to see more $8,000-suit perp walks.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Beckenbauer investigated for corruption over 2006 World Cup
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37246543

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    World Cup: FIFA president Gianni Infantino wants 48-team tournament
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37547545

19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That last bit about the 16 teams in a single elimination tourney is batsh!t crazy. To properly prepare for a World Cup finals, you need three weeks of preparation, but 16 teams would go through the expense and injury risk to prepare for all of one game. This will never fly in that structure.

exref repped this.
  20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
  21. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually am among the few who's fine with 48, but I hate that play in idea, especially if it ties into rankings. If you're going to do it, you have to provide the bye based off qualification. ie. top 2 hex teams, the group winners in Europe, group winners in Asia etc.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    see, this is the kind of idea that has no basis in soccer but potentially adds to the coffers of FIFA. This is the kind of shite that led to a lot of people getting arrested.

england66 repped this.
  23. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ...And I'm sure the clubs these players play for will be very pleased....:D

24. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is institutional greed. Bigger pie.

The reason people got arrested was individual greed. Give me a piece of that pie on the sly.

Still haven't seen a real proposal for how we get rid of the self-dealing. The underlying factors are all still there, and it's just a matter of time before it happens again.

25. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At some point the superclub revolt is inevitable,isn't it?

No less corrupt,mind...

exref repped this.