FIFA Lists 2009

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Englishref, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    The FA have confirmed that Andre Marriner and Stuart Attwell have both joined the FIFA list as of yesterday.

Big congratulations to Marriner, who at 38, is too old to make much of an impression within FIFA or UEFA, but deserves it for his continued hard work and progress on the SG list for the past 3 or 4 seasons.

Attwell, at 25, has up to 20 years on the FIFA list! He's famous for giving the goal that never was at Watford when it went out for a goal kick, albeit on the advice of his AR. He only joined the SG list this season, and the FL referee list last season! Pretty sure he never met FIFA's requirements for nomination, but hey ho. He's the golden boy of David Elleray, a product of the FA's Young Referees Conference, and so has clearly been fast tracked and backed where others haven't. But good luck to him.

Mike Dean, who is having a superb season again this year, has been promoted from Cat 2 to the Premier List of UEFA, while Martin Atkinson has been placed on the Premier Development list.

As for ARs, rumours have it that we're going to lose 3 of our 4 ARs put on the list last season because they didn't pass the fitness test, which is appalling. Time will tell whether or not those rumours are true.

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poll thinks the FA moved Atwell up too quick. Its hard to disagree. I think hes done only a handfull of EPL games.

3. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    4 to be precise, and none involving any of the big 4, well until he does Chelski in the FAC tomorrow.

4. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Thanks for the info, Englishref. I find it very hard to believe how any 25 year old person could be qualified or ready for a FIFA referee badge.

Can you add any more explanation to the UEFA referee groupings, or perhaps give a link that does the explaining? E.g. how does the 'premier development list' compare with the 'category 2' list?

5. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    It's one of these things which UEFA never really acknowledges, but exists.

Basically, there are 5 different categories. Cat 4, Cat 3, Cat 2, Premier, and Elite.

England, Spain, Germany, and Italy's referees all go straight into Cat 3, rather than 4 because of the standard of the leagues those referees referee in.

Effectively, it is just a promotion system like any other, with Elite obviously being the best. Elite referees are those you'll find regularly refereeing UCL and Internationals. Premier referees generally get early rounds of the UCL group stage, and more advanced rounds of the UEFA Cup, and will also take charge of Int'ls. Cat 2 will then do some UC games, and may get some of the minor Int'ls involving two small nations. They'll also do U21s and would have done Intertoto Cup (which is no more). Cat 3s would also have done the IC, and will do the early rounds of the UC (qualifying rounds), plus age restricted Int'ls. Cat 4s will do a similar job to Cat 3s.

The Premier Development list is a new idea from UEFA, and as I said earlier, UEFA never really talk about these lists, so I'm not entirely sure where it lies in the pecking order, but one would assume those on it are the ones UEFA expects to step up to the Elite list in the near future, and as such, may get some decent games that Elite referees may have previously had.

These are the most recent lists, as of January 09. The Cat 2-4 lists will be reviewed in February.

Elite Category
    1 Plautz Konrad 16.10.1964 Austria
    2 De Bleeckere Frank 01.07.1966 Belgium
    3 Larsen Claus Bo 28.10.1965 Denmark
    4 Riley Michael 17.12.1964 England
    5 Webb Howard Melton 14.07.1971 England
    6 Duhamel Laurent 10.10.1968 France
    7 Layec Bertrand 03.07.1965 France
    8 Fandel Herbert 09.03.1964 Germany
    9 Meyer Florian 21.11.1968 Germany
    10 Stark Wolfgang 20.11.1969 Germany
    11 Vassaras Kyros 01.02.1966 Greece
    12 Kassai Viktor 10.09.1975 Hungary
    13 Rosetti Roberto 18.09.1967 Italy
    14 Trefoloni Matteo Simone 31.03.1971 Italy
    15 Hamer Alain 10.12.1965 Luxembourg
    16 Braamhaar Eric F. J. 13.10.1966 Netherlands
    17 Vink Pieter 13.03.1967 Netherlands
    18 Hauge Terje 05.10.1965 Norway
    19 Ovrebo Tom Henning 26.06.1966 Norway
    20 Bartolo Faustino Benquerença Olegario Manuel 18.10.1969 Portugal
    21 Baskakov Iouri 10.05.1964 Russia
    22 Medina Cantalejo Luis 01.03.1964 Spain
    23 Mejuto Gonzalez Manuel Enrique 16.04.1965 Spain
    24 Undiano Mallenco Alberto 08.10.1973 Spain
    25 Hansson Martin 06.04.1971 Sweden
    26 Busacca Massimo 06.02.1969 Switzerland
    Michel Lubos 16.05.1968 Slovakia RETIRED
    Fröjdfeldt Peter 14.11.1963 Sweden RETIRED

Premier and Premier Development

Premier
    1 Allaerts Paul 09.07.1964 Belgium
    2 Genov Anton 10.10.1966 Bulgaria
    3 Kapitanis Costas 21.05.1964 Cyprus
    4 Dean Michael Leslie 02.07.1968 England PROMOTED
    5 Kircher Knut 02.02.1969 Germany
    6 Jakobsson Kristinn 11.06.1969 Iceland
    7 Cardoso Cortez Batista Lucilio 26.04.1965 Portugal
    8 Ivanov Nikolay 24.01.1964 Russia
    9 Hrinak Vladimir 25.02.1964 Slovakia
    10 Ceferin Darko 11.07.1968 Slovenia
    11 Iturralde Gonzalez Eduardo 20.02.1967 Spain
    Vollquartz Nicolai 07.02.1965 Denmark RELEGATED

Premier Development
    12 Einwaller Thomas 25.04.1977 Austria
    13 Gumienny Serge 14.04.1972 Belgium PROMOTED
    14 Bebek Ivan 30.05.1977 Croatia
    15 Kralovec Pavel 16.08.1977 Czech Republic
    16 Atkinson Martin 31.03.1971 England
    17 Lannoy Stéphane 18.09.1969 France
    18 Brych Felix 03.08.1975 Germany
    19 Yefet Alon 01.09.1972 Israel
    20 Rizzoli Nicola 05.10.1971 Italy
    21 Kuipers Bjorn 28.03.1973 Netherlands PROMOTED
    22 Moen Svein Oddvar 22.01.1979 Norway PROMOTED
    23 Gilewski Grzegorz 24.02.1973 Poland
    24 Oliveira Alves Garcia Pedro Proenca 03.11.1970 Portugal
    25 Tudor Alexandru Dan 13.09.1971 Romania
    26 Thomson Craig Alexander 20.06.1972 Scotland
    27 Skomina Damir 05.08.1976 Slovenia
    28 Eriksson Jonas 28.03.1974 Sweden
    29 Circhetta Claudio 18.11.1970 Switzerland
    Malek Robert 15.03.1971 Poland RELEGATED

For completion, re: England's FIFAs, Mark Clattenburg is currently a Cat 2 (though obviously still suspended), as is Rob Styles, while Steve Tanner is still a Cat 3, and will be joined on that list by Andre Marriner and Stuart Attwell.

6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, 25 for the FIFA panel is too young. FIFA, UEFA and the FA like the USSF all look to quantify on physical tests and leave out the most important qualities, experience, wisdom and maturity.

7. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Does anyone know if there are any elevations to the panel of US refereesAR's for 2009? Also, other than the retirements due to age (Barkey) or by choice (Stott), does anyone know of anyone that was removed from the panel for the US? I'm asking about men and women.

8. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't see what the problem is:
    How to Become a FIFA Referee

Football is a global sport—in the United States football is not the game of soccer like it is in the rest of the world. FIFA stands for Fédération Internationale de Football Association and its major function is to train referees through an ongoing career-long process. Referees can be as young as their early teens and as old as their physical condition will allow.
    Instructions

Difficulty: Moderate

Step1
    Take a beginner's referee course that covers the Rule of the Game. There are 2 parts to the course; Introductory and Level 1.

Step2
    Study the material in the course seriously since there will be a written test at the end on the Rules and Regulations of the game.

Step3
    Get a 70 percent or higher on the written test in order to move on to the next level.

Step4
    Learn how to referee from demonstrations by your instructor. Lessons will include technical movement and Laws of the game.

Step5
    Make a commitment to your referee classes and you will get a uniform and other equipment like a whistle, flags, notebook and wallet of red and yellow cards.

Step6
    Work as many games as possible. The quickest way to move up to a full referee is to be paired with someone who is experienced.

from ehow.com - http://www.ehow.com/how_2121160_become-fifa-referee.html

9. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Wow.....who knew it was so easy. Maybe they'll tap me to do the "How to become a nuclear physicist" page seeing as I know nothing about how to become a nuclear physicist, but I can sure make it sound easy and menial.

10. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    The FIFA website has been updated.

England never lost as many ARs as feared, we lost just Glenn Turner who retired early, and Adam Watts, presumably because of fitness. Simon Beck replaces one of them on the list.

Here is the USA's list

Referee Date of Birth International since
    GEIGER Mark 25.08.1974
    MARRUFO Jair 17.06.1977 2007
    PRUS Arkadiusz 06.02.1964 2004
    SALAZAR Ricardo 06.09.1972 2005
    TOLEDO Baldomero 06.02.1970
    VAUGHN Terry 01.04.1973 2004

Assistant Referee Date of Birth International since
    HURD Mark 09.11.1971
    VASOLI Anthony 20.10.1970
    GANSNER George 13.10.1971 2002
    MORGANTE Charles 24.05.1974
    QUISENBERRY Kermit 27.09.1968 2004
    ROCKWELL Corey E. 26.02.1974
    STRICKLAND Chris 29.11.1966 2002
    SUPPLE Thomas 17.12.1965 2004
    TOVAR Fabio 03.01.1967
    WIENCKOWSKI Adam 02.08.1975

11. whistleblowerusa

whistleblowerusa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    There is a mistake in the FIFA AR list for USA. It should read Sean Hurd and not Mark Hurd. Sean is a good guy, maybe not FIFA material but a good guy. My biggest question is the addition of Domke to the FIFA Women's list. She is another inexperienced official that has been rushed through the system. Too bad.

12. flornatref

flornatref Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Hurd's birth name is Mark Sean Hurd, that is why he is listed as Mark Hurd. No one calls him by his first name though. Well, maybe his wife does when she is angry at him, but that is an entirely different story all-together.

13. FLRef86

FLRef86 Member

Jun 8, 2008
    I'm shocked that we only have 2 female AR's...

Referee Date of Birth International since
    BENNETT Jennifer 04.05.1971 2002
    DOMKA Margaret 13.08.1979
    SEITZ Kari 02.11.1970 1999
    SERAFINI Sandra 03.11.1968
    Assistant Referee Date of Birth International since
    DUFFY Marlene 04.08.1979
    PEREZ Veronica 31.10.1979

14. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    I'm shocked that we have as many FIFA panelists on the female side is it is. There are only maybe two or three that are actually qualified.

15. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord, do we need to go over this every single year?

FIFA has different standards. So USSF has different standards.

FIFA wants females officiating women's professional matches, so we push our women onto the list. Should we sit idly by and let other countries do it, thereby giving all the plum women's international assignments to referees where women's soccer isn't as good as it is here? Is that your goal?

People need to get over it. They are two completley different lists. Other than Seitz, it's unlikely that anyone on this list could make the men's list (maybe Bennett, but certainly not as fast as she made it). They know it, you know it, everyone knows it.

I really don't see what the issue is. FIFA has a separate list for women, so it's not like they are taking up slots that would otherwise go to qualified men. There really is no controversy here (and I say this as someone that, at various times very recently, was at or near the same level as three people on that list). Yet every year people seem to want to whine or complain about some sort of perceived unfairness.

16. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    MassRef, there are times when you post some good stuff and there are times when you post stuff that is just out of line.
    No one was whining. It was a comment and a legitimate one at that. Yes, you are very smart and we all know that there are two different lists. The requirements are different etc. That doesn't change the fact that instead of training USSF is just pushing and switching lists. It's not about how fast a man can run or a woman can run. It's about knowing the game and placing those on the list that really have earned the spot on the list. That is the issue whether you like it or not or whether you want to read it or not.
    My comment was about the quality of the women not the comparison. I didn't compare anything. With the women's league coming back the women's side of officiating is in big trouble. That's not talking of fairness. It's about quality.
    Now if you can add to that go ahead but stop reading way more into things than what was actually written.

17. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying they aren't qualified because there are better female refs in the US that should have the spots, or because they don't meet the standards of a FIFA referee?

18. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Judging from what FIFA expects no, they don't really meet that expectation. We can see what assignments are given in world tournaments on the women's side. Yes I know that countries with teams that advance have an impact on the semis and finals but it doesn't change all that much in qualifying rounds and in the first stages of the tournaments. Also, look at which women are getting any breaks at officiating even the lower divisions of the pro leagues in the US. What did these women do to get placed on the list? I say stop making it easy for them and make them work to get better. How else can the younger women have mentors to look up to that are not all men?

19. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Do you really think all the members of the men's panel are qualified? How many international matches a year do you think the guys from Zambia or Togo work? It's not just about who's "qualified". It's also about gaining experience. Take for instance the recent furor behind Stuart Attwell (a male, yes, but bear with me). Is is "qualified" to be on the International Panel? Maybe not. But he needs the experience of doing UEFA and FIFA matches to be ready to be England's top ref when Webb retires. The only way he can get the matches he needs to be at a level he needs to be at is by being on the International Panel. He now has 7 years to build up experience on UEFA matches and international youth and senior tournaments. SEVEN YEARS.

Also, US Soccer wants its professional women's league to compete with Germany's and Sweden's. One way that is going to happen is by having female referees who have the ability to officiate that level. The only way this is going to happen is by pushing female referees and assigning them matches that will cause them to become better officials. Some of them need to be on the Panel in order to be eligible to do matches that they need to do to get better. Nobody ever became qualified to do EPL games solely by doing Sunday league games.

Besides, have you seen Serafini work a USL game? Watch her in a RailHawks or Battery game and tell me she doesn't deserve to wear a shield.

20. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Who was talking about anywhere else but the US? I wasn't. The women's list here in the US is what I was commenting on. I did not name any names but Serafini does a decent job and may be ok most of the time she can't run at the level she needs to in my opinion but is smart about the game. And, what you say about assigning women top matches is just what I said about making them earn their place on the list and not just moving them up because they are women.
    You guys are way too defensive about some things that you just observe. I have been involved with games and US Soccer at this level for a long long time and have seen the quality and standards drop to a point that they are almost meaningless. They make it way too easy for the women and now way to easy for the men. How many women on the US FIFA panel were National Referees more than one year before "earning" that spot on the FIFA list. Come on, that's not preparing anyone.

21. nylaw5

nylaw5 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    West Coast
    This might be an area where we can actually have a legitimate debate - is your implication that a FIFA slot must be "earned"? And, what is your definition of earned.....is it years of service, administrative involvement, political maneuvering, exposure to games at levels other nationals do not get, etc?

I personally believe that the best should wear the best badge. Does this mean that some folks are going to have a longer path then others? Probably. It might take one guy four years as a regular center referee in the MLS until he is one of the best.......it might take another guy three games. Either way, when they get to that point they should wear a white badge.

To hold someone off of the FIFA list because she has not been around long enough for everyone to know and like her is unfair to the individual and the program itself. If she is good, if she has promise, and if she will make our system stronger then for what reason would we not support her? Anything else comes off as bitter.

22. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Please! Bitter? I am being realistic. The system acting as it does fails us all. Not only the FIFA officials placed on the list. They should get the badge when they are ready not so they can get ready. That is what has been happening the last few years. Officials are being placed on the list just to replace an official who has come off. Besides Seitz which women (current list) has truly performed as expected when given the opportunity at the world level? No one. Even on the men's side. For me this is not acceptable for a Federation that is supposedly leading the way.

23. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    There are different schools of thought on something like this. I agree that the best referees should wear the best badge. I also feel that the FIFA badge -- hell, ANY badge -- should be earned, not given based on potential. Isn't that how our referee program is supposed to be administered? You don't get the grade 7 badge unless you have shown you are at the level expected of a grade 7 referee and have met the requirements. Same goes for a state badge. Same goes for a national badge.

In addition -- and here's where some folks have differing views -- I also feel that things should NOT be graded on a curve. In other words, you might be at the head of the class but still not 'good enough' to wear the badge.

24. refereejoe

refereejoe New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Bay Area - Cal North
    USSF established a set of minimum requirements for referees before consideration for advancement. Once the minimum requirements are met, a subjective evaluation of their performance on a series of matches is done.

If the referee satisfies these requirements, they qualify for advancement. If they have not, then they should not be considered. If I'm not mistaken, not all of the women referees on the FIFA list have satisfied the minimum requirements. Instead, they are "fast-tracked" and given a badge purely on a subjective basis. Unfortunately, there is no documented standard for determining whether a referee should qualify for fast-tracking. It is purely on the subjective whim by those in a current position of power pulling political favors with others in a current position of power. The ability of the referee is secondary.

This cavalier attitude by the powers that be undermines the qualification process, and is unfair to those who put in the years and effort to prove themselves by satisfying all of the requirements. They should either do away with the minimum requirements completely, or hold all referees to this standard regardless of their personal opinion.