FIFA International Match Calendar: Proposed Changes & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  2. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because Mexico has nations league in early June and that's it because qualifiers got bumped until September. If 2 teams wete to get added in place of Qatar and Australia I'd expect it to be 2 of the 5 teams from concacaf that have already qualified for the final round of World Cup qualification. Schedule wise they are the only ones that could possibly do it.

3. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Are you forgetting the Gold Cup that starts on the day of the final of the Copa ?

Unless the concacaf teams send a B team either to Copa or Gold Cup. I dont think the organizer of either tournament would be happy with that.

The African teams have 2 WC qualifiers from May 31 to June 15. The schedule has not been fixed yet, but I'd love to see 2 African sides compete in this tournament. That would be your best bet to get an A team participating.

Every Four Years repped this.
  4. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Correct, we should not forget that Concacaf has a major continental tournament next summer. Clubs will not allow its players to be over-exposed to fatigue during off-season.

Conmebol has decided that no invitees will be present at their continental tournament. Part of it is that some CA 2021 TV rights customers backed out after Qatar and Australia pulled out.

No one is buying those TV rights, therefore no reason to have guests. Hopefully that will not translate into cancelling Conmebol's tournament.

5. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Source? I don't see anything online confirming that. All I see is news on the withdrawal of the two AFC teams, nothing on the new plans. The Wikipedia page on the 2021 Copa America states that CONMEBOL is still trying to find replacements if possible.

2021 Copa América - Wikipedia

Paul Calixte repped this.
  6. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    #131 Every Four Years, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    I wonder if in the long run CONMEBOL will try to find a way to work with CONCACAF and just have a combined Copa on a regular basis to make the tournament more appealing. The fact that there are invitees at all seems to me a reflection of the fact that CONMEBOL itself isn't fully convinced that an all-CONMEBOL tournament is appealing.

I don't think CONCACAF would want to get rid of the Gold Cup altogether, but you could maybe reduce the frequency to once every four years and have the combined Copa in place of the second Gold Cup (from CONCACAF's standpoint). Some CONMEBOL fans might not like the idea of a combined Copa permanently replacing their flagship tournament, though. Although I'd argue it wouldn't be too much of a stretch considering the current format already includes invitees and the fact that Mexico was basically a regular, anyway, up until recently.

7. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Several outlets reported on Conmebol's Development Director words (02/23/21), when he announced guests withdrawal from CA 2021, indicating that the original calendar remains in place, with off dates when a team would have played with a guest.
    Audio:
    https://ar.radiocut.fm/radiostation/lared/listen/2021/02/23/13/27/00/

Belloso's quotes in international press:
    https://comutricolor.com/seleccion-...aran-la-copa-america-argentina-colombia-2021/

8. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    #133 vancity eagle, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Everything is from Feb 23 and other sources from Conembol state that they will be looking for 2 other participants.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/02/23/qatar-australia-out-copa-america-2021-conmebol

The off dates are if 2 participants are not found. I dont think anything is set in stone yet like you are claiming.

Every Four Years repped this.
  9. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    That is why I provided audio for Gonzalo Belloso's statements, ruling out team replacements for that tournament.
    He is Conmebol's Director of Development.

The quote you provided about team replacements comes from Ariel Ramirez, a press spokesperson for Conmebol.

Very interesting to see that SI.com decided to suppress Belloso's statement about no replacements for Qatar+Australia, while still quoting him on "30% filled stadia", which he mentioned during his Feb 23rd interview to Argentine radio.

10. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember this non CONMEBOL usually are only allowed to send an Olympic squad, not the full national team.

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't think this is a firm rule, however it is a firm rule that clubs don't have to release players for two continental championships in the same year which has affected Concacaf teams when the gold cup has been the same year as Copa America.

12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As @almango notes, that is not a FIFA rule enforced across the board. Rather, Chuck Blazer pulled this restriction out of nowhere to hamstring Mexico's participation in the Copa América out of spite (he and Nicolás Leoz had fallen out).

The general rule is that clubs are not obligated to release players to national teams playing as guests in another confederation's championship.

13. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With there being Nations League, Gold Cup, Olympics all in the summer I'd be suprised if there is replacement teams that they aren't essentially Olympic teams from CONCACAF as a tuneup for the Olympics.

14. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    BocaFan and Paul Calixte repped this.
  15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Much to the dismay of @HomietheClown the 2021 Copa America will be played once again in Brazil (as done in 2019) and not in the USA as initially rumored after Colombia and Argentina got stripped of the hosting rights due to Covid-19.

Of course the smart thing would be to just cancel this edition. An edition that was unnecessary to begin with and driven by greed. Just play the next one in 2024 already. It seems like a number of players agree:

unclesox repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wish it were in Colombia before the USA.
    USA would have been an awesome backup plan but too many hurdles and protocols that made it impossible to do on such short notice.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It may have been unnecessary to begin with but now with the Pandemic they need the money as much as possible.

Cancelling it is not an option financially.

Interesting about the players though. Let's see how that pans out.

18. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I see Copa still going on with or without those players

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Argentina has officially confirmed that they will be a part of Copa America in Brazil.
    Them wanting to win something for Messi will probably slowly kill all this boycott talk from major teams.

Although many players will still opt out more than likely most of which Brazil is leading the way in those rumors.

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, the fourth Copa America in seven years is well under way (would have been fourth in six years without Covid-19 delay). An elaborate format with five teams per group is being used to eliminate exactly two out of ten teams before the quarterfinals. :rolleyes:

This is exactly the kind nonsense that exhausts players to an unacceptable degree.

After this horribly contrived Copa will CONMEBOL finally have a normal quadrennial schedule? Or is the next super duper extra special edition just around the corner?

dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  21. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, the players have shown themselves to be a bunch of effin sheep not willing to stand up to the corruption in Conmebol, so as far as I’m concerned at this point, they deserve whatever they get. They’re pathetic.

22. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I absolutely agree. First Copa in years I am not watching.

I hope CONMEBOL arranges another one next year, as a WC warm-up in, lets say, USA.

23. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The running joke in South America is:

"How many Copas are they gonna play?"

"Until Messi wins one" :D

majspike, unclesox and dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  24. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    So Copa Apertura and Copa Clausura then. :ROFLMAO:

majspike and unclesox repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We have had this conversation many times before.
    Smart National team managers know their players' stamina and what those players can handle...
    ... and do not over -work them.

I do not know about the other teams but I do know that Colombia's coach is doing exactly that bringing about unexpected results here and there but keeping to a rotation so his players are fresh and not drained.

Good National Team coaches always find ways to balance things out. They know very well it does them no good to have injured players going into long grueling tournaments.