FIFA International Match Calendar: Proposed Changes & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It would be harder sell now that these confederations are expecting an additional 5-6 guaranteed spots on top of their current allocation as a result of the 48 team expansion, but I don't think it would a hard sell at all if the choice was between the current 32-team allocations on the one hand. and what I mentioned for a 48-team expansion on the other hand.

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    As for the biannual World Cup proposal, I prefer instead an interim tournament (e.g. "FIFA World Championship Cup") along the following lines.

Specifically, running contemporaneously with the EURO, two other tournaments as follows:

1- a 24-team (8 groups of 3) "FIFA Cup of the Americas" for Conmebol- Concacaf combined
    1- a 32-team (8 groups of 4) "FIFA Africa-Asia-Oceania Cup" for CAF-AFC-OFC teams

The winners of the EURO plus the winners of these 2 tournaments along with the defending World Cup champions would then each play an additional 2 games (semifinal/3rd place/final) a few weeks later to determine the winner of the "FIFA World Championship Cup". This would not adversely affect the EURO and UEFA's financial stake in it, but the other two tournaments plus the semi-final/final could generate additional funds for FIFA (to hopefully properly disburse between member associations) while giving us more intercontinental games and all these sides more experience playing them.

almango repped this.
  3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, whoa, whoa: I love this hemisphere, and even I'd say that 16 berths is too many for the Americas. And on a football politics note, it would be insane for a FIFA President to give 16 berths to us and 16 to AFC-CAF-OFC when the latter has twice as many votes in the Congress.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but I'm guessing Germany, Italy, France and Spain will cancel their winter breaks.

Also I suspect that domestic cup competitions will be competed for by lots of reserve teams to save "tired legs", notably the FA Cup where EPL teams will debut two weeks after the World Cup final.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well, I'm certainly not proposing 16 teams based on any love for your hemisphere:) But for the very first 48-team World Cup, co-hosted by 3 teams from the region (host allocations would be included in the 16), I would be fine with an equal split between the 3 regions I have outlined considering that 12 of the top 50 ranked teams come from the Americas and the 4 who aren't among the top 50 (Venezuela, Jamaica, Panama and Bolivia) are more or less competitive too and (except for the highest ranked among the 4, namely Venezuela) have qualified to the World Cup before. In subsequent World Cups not coo-hosted in the Americas. you can then adjust the allocations in favor of CAF/AFC at the expense of Conmebol/Concacaf.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, now that I think about it, 16 does seem a bit excessive (for CONCACAF + CONMEBOL). Even though 3 CONCACAF teams are hosting, those 3 teams probably would qualify on merit so a lot of spots would wind-up going to scrub CONCACAF teams that won't be competitive, not even in a watered-down 48 team WC.

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The top 16 ranked teams in each of Conmebol/Concacaf and CAF/AFC/OFC along with UEFA are right now as follows:

Conmebol/Concacaf:
    1-Brazil 2- Argentina 3- USA 4- Mexico 5- Colombia 6- Uruguay 7- Peru 8- Chile 9- Canada 10- Paraguay 11- Ecuador 12- Costa Rica 13- Jamaica 14- Venezuela 15- Panama 16- Bolivia
    CAF/AFC/OFC:
    1- Senegal 2- Iran 3- Japan 4- Morocco 5- Algeria 6- Tunisia 7- S.Korea 8- Australia 9- Nigeria 10- Egypt 11- Qatar 12- Cameroon 13- Saudi Arabia 14- Ghana 15- Mali 16- Ivory Coast
    UEFA:
    1- Belgium 2- France 3- England 4- Italy 5- Spain 6- Portugal 7- Denmark 8- Netherlands 9- Germany 10- Switzerland 11- Croatia 12- Sweden 13- Wales 14- Serbia 15- Ukraine 16- Poland

8. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    to be honest that is a decent set of teams. I dont really see that as being "watered down" at all.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top 48 teams in the FIFA rankings:

AFC 5
    CAF 6
    OFC 0
    CONMEBOL 8
    CONCACAF 3
    UEFA 26

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #735 Iranian Monitor, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    yes, but the additional UEFA sides (17-28) already get to play most of the top 10-15 teams which (except Brazil and Argentina) are from UEFA in various settings (EURO Q, EURO, UEFA WCQ, UEFA Nations League etc). I think they are (metaphorically) liable to choke (or get indigestion) if you gave them even more bites to the apple, while there are a plethora of comparable sides who don't get a meaningful match against such teams at all. The format I have suggested won't really water-down the tournament, but will give us diversity and plenty more intercontinental matches.

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    To simulate/illustrate what the groups for the 48-team WC in the format I have proposed could be like using the current FIFA rankings, with exactly 1 team from each wider region in each group, you could get the following groups:

Group A:
    1-Belgium 2- S. Korea 3- Paraguay
    Group B:
    1- Brazil 2- Wales 3- Nigeria
    Group C:
    1- France, 2- Algeria 3- Ecuador
    Group D:
    1- England 2- Morocco 3- Costa Rica
    Group E:
    1- Argentina 2- Poland 3- Ivory Coast
    Group F:
    1- Italy 2- Chile 3- Saudi Arabia
    Group G:
    1- Spain 2- Peru 3- Qatar
    Group H:
    1-Portugal 2- Iran 3- Panama
    Group I:
    1- Denmark 2- Senegal 3- Bolivia
    Group J:
    1- Netherlands 2- Uruguay 3- Mali
    Group K:
    1- USA 2- Serbia 3- Ghana
    Group L:
    1- Germany 2- Colombia 3- Cameroon
    Group M:
    1- Switzerland 2- Japan 3- Venezuela
    Group N:
    1- Mexico 2- Sweden 3- Australia
    Group O:
    1- Croatia 2- Tunisia 3- Jamaica
    Group P:
    1- Canada 2- Ukraine 3- Egypt

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Costa Rica, Bolivia, Venezuela not watered-down? A WC group where Canada is the best team in it not watered-down? Come on, mate....

And that list is assuming the best 16 qualify from those regions which never happens in reality.

13. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    #738 vancity eagle, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    Those teams are no worse than the regular worst teams at a 32 team world cup.

For example the worst team in 2018 is Panama.

Venezuela, Costa Rica, Bolivia are really no worse than Panama. Roughly the Same level.

Plus you have added teams in the 48 team format that are actually better than some of the teams in 2018 WC.

Teams who missed 2018 like Algeria, Chile, USA, Ivory Coast, Ecuador, Paraguay, Italy, Holland, Canada, Turkey, Ghana are all better than some of the teams that made that tournament.

No I don't think it is watered down at all. Just more teams.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Then why is Costa Rica well behind Panama in qualifying? And Jamaica even further behind?

And even if it were true that those teams are no worse than the weakest team in a 32-team WC field, adding several of those teams is literally the definition of "watered down".

15. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    If you add a few of those weaker teams that are on roughly the same level.

You are also adding quite a few quality teams as well like I already mentioned.

Italy, Holland, USA, Algeria, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Wales, Ukraine, Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay, Czech Rep.

This in its totality actually makes the competition MORE competitive.

Athlone repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though Costa Rica barely failed to make the semi-final when they were ranked #30.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Nope. It's like adding 10 teams at the level of Watford to the English Premier League. It results in an average decline in quality. That is the definition of "watered down".

It doesn't work like that. For starters, UEFA only gets 3 additional WC spots and you've listed about 5. You also listed a bunch of teams that probably qualify for a 32-team WC anyway, and left out teams like Lebanon and Oman which is, in reality, the sort of teams we will see starting in 2026.

Anyway, "competitive" can be interpreted in different ways so I won't disagree with you final point. But we were talking about whether it gets watered down.

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    @BocaFan If you look at the simulated groups I have listed, you will see that in at least half of the groups (and more), you honestly can't be even reasonably assured which side will grab the top spot and advance to the R16. I think the format I have proposed would actually mitigate against some of the sides you mentioned qualifying, unless they have become pretty good and deserve to.

19. The point is ratings by nature are a backwards looking number.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I agree with that. Then again, it is tougher to predict the winner of Spain's Segunda division than La Liga, so ..... :)

21. Hazze

Hazze Member

Sweden
    Nov 30, 2021
    I like the groups.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  22. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Paul Calixte repped this.
  23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drop the Olympics and have a proper FIFA U23 World Cup with players released for qualifying and the tournament proper.

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or mandatory playing-time caps :ROFLMAO:

Cue Deschamps struggling with whether to name Mbappé in the starting 11 of a semifinal b/c he only has 90 min. of eligibility left in the tournament :eek: