FIFA International Match Calendar: Proposed Changes & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am not sure about Uruguay. While pedigree is important,and helps teams and players exhibit the kind of confidence that affects split second decisions and overall performance, football isn't merely about names and past form. Uruguay, at least in the form they had shown in qualifying games, would be liable to even get thrashed by some of the sides you mention. The current Uruguay team has too many players who are both past their prime and unable to do the kind of running and pressing that is important to the success of a team as a whole. Colombia, on the other hand, would merit being among the teams you mention.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  2. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Sorry I completely disagree

League A currently has the following teams

Austria, Czech Rep., Hungary, Poland, Wales

The likes of Colombia, Uruguay are better than ALL of those teams. Not even close IMO. Ecuador, Chile, Peru could be better as well.

Heck there are teams in Africa, Concacaf, and Asia that are better than those teams and could compete at the top level.

ganapordiego and Cosmin10 repped this.
  3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I had previously ranked the top 50 teams in the world as follows. While I would make a few adjustments to those rankings, in general this is how I would rate the top 50 including the teams being discussed.

The Best (A)
    1- France
    2- Brazil
    Next Best (A-/A)
    3- Italy
    4- England
    5- Germany
    6- Spain
    6- Argentina
    8- Belgium
    Almost with the Best (B+/A-)
    9- Switzerland
    10- Denmark
    11- Portugal
    12- Holland
    Not Quite among the Best (B+)
    13- Croatia
    14- Morocco
    15- Sweden
    16- Colombia
    17- USA
    18- Serbia
    Very Good (B/B+)
    17- Mexico
    17- Algeria
    19- Senegal
    20- Iran
    20- South Korea
    22- Ukraine
    23- Ecuador
    23- Czech Republic
    25- Nigeria
    26- Peru
    26- Wales
    28- Uruguay
    29- Japan
    30- Poland
    31- Canada
    32- Saudi Arabia
    Good (B)
    33- Australia
    33- Chile
    35- Turkey
    35- Austria
    35- Scotland
    38- Tunisia
    39- Russia
    40- Egypt
    Almost Good (B-/B)
    41- Ivory Coast
    42- Bolivia
    43- Ghana
    44- Greece
    45- Hungry
    46- Norway
    47- Romania
    48- Venezuela
    49- Cameroon
    50- South Africa

4. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Fair enough if you believe that.

I personally don't look much at names or at the pedigree of a nation.
    I look at what do they offer on the pitch.
    Gosh did I see some terrible finishing by Colombia against Paraguay in their last qualifier.
    Uruguay has been piss-poor.
    They got manhandled by Brazil, Argentina and Bolivia in La Paz.
    They hope to turn it around with a managerial change. Let's see if it works.
    I'm critical of CONMEBOL. But I have my reasons for that.

Some people on this board I feel are blinded by names and past merits of teams like Uruguay, Chile and Colombia.

Hazze, r0adrunner and bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  5. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    I can name 2 minnows right off the top of my head. They play each other next January 28th.

If football success was associated with national population, then please somebody remind China and India to pick up their WC trophies.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Uruguay has the same population as Connecticut.

7. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Rightly so. A lot of ageing squads in that continent at this time.

They have done badly in replacing their veteran players with quality players. Very short time to turn it around for November 2022.

Kamtedrejt and r0adrunner repped this.
  8. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    "Too many players", like 3: Godin, Suarez and Cavani. And the latter two are rarely being played together lately.

It's not about "pedigree" either, they literally have better players overall than any of those european teams I mentioned.

Yes, if they play like in the last 3 matches they will get thrashed by many but they won't play forever that poorly. And these teams are not exactly Brazil or Argentina, nor they have bolivian altitude.

9. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Chile is not in the same boat. Uruguay and Colombia have a lot more depth and youth in their squads. I have not much of a hope of Chile being able to compete evenly with league A teams in 2 years time.

The criticism is legitimate but you guys are exaggerating a bit. Now because Uruguay and Colombia had a few bad (in the case of Uruguay awful) matches, they now can't even compete with teams that have objectively inferior individual quality wtf

ganapordiego, vancity eagle and Cosmin10 repped this.
  10. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    You named 53 teams.
    From USA to Senegal you made some mistakes with the ranks.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You are right, I just copy/pasted from a previous post of mine and didn't remember correcting it partly because the numerical rankings to me are less important than the grades and categories.

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I believe no side can effectively compete against good teams over any length of time even with 'just' 3 (2-3) over-the-hill players. If its just one such player, and his name is Messi or Ronaldo, maybe. More than that, and it will start showing. For instance, take Ronaldo at Manchester United? Despite scoring plenty of goals since his return, there are those who feel he hurts the team overall because of his age and inability to fully help the team otherwise. Regardless of where you sit on that issue, he is just one player -- and he still scores a lot of goals. 2-3 over-the-hill players, and I don't think a side can remain competitive.

13. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    They have Darwin Nuñez (I'm sure you know him) but he's extremely unlucky with injuries when international windows come. They also can play a CB duo of Araujo and Gimenez but Tabarez was too nostalgic about Godin to bench him.

You can perfectly have one "passenger" player and still do well. Argentina has Messi doing nothing without the ball but the other 9 guys run like crazy in his place.

ganapordiego and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Messi is my favorite player (despite his goal against Iran) since my all-time favorite, Diego Maradona. But even Messi, while helping Argentina in ways that only Messi can, still hurts Argentina in other ways because of what you mention. That then goes into why I like the top seed in Iran's group to be Argentina. But I could be wrong about Argentina, because Messi is Messi. Uruguay, on the other hand, can't afford what are increasingly extra baggage, on the team more for name, fame and nostalgia than the balance between what they add and subtract. IMO, against European teams, even more than South American ones, this kind of extra baggage will be severely punished. They won't need the altitude in La Paz to do so either. Just 10 players who will run and press more than 7-9 players can handle, picking all the holes left to exploit.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  15. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    It is to be seen what their new coach will setup. I reckon Cavani when fit still has some legs in him unlike Suarez.
    But I think Uruguay had bigger problems in creativity rather than at pressing lately. In fact, in the second match against Argentina the uruguayan pressing was ridiculously good. You can watch the highlights and see that they stole the ball from the opponent's defenders numerous times.

But regardless of that, I must add that talking about european teams globally as if all of them played high-line aggressive pressing and have talented enough players to punish opponents is... questionable. Poland or Hungary play completely different football from Germany. The view that the other user was trying to argue was they can't even compete with the 16 teams that are currently in League A, not that they just can't beat the powerhouses.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am certainly not going to make definitive statement, or draw iron-clad conclusions, about teams which I haven't been following regularly. My point was limited to the basic proposition that until Uruguay does show better on the pitch, and gets better results than they have, it isn't unreasonable to rate them below teams in League A in UEFA. And, along with that, my general and tentative hypothesis regarding trends in football and what those trends portend both as it relates to the role of #10 players and, more broadly, carrying too many 'passengers' along with too much luggage on your team.

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In the meantime, and in the absence of what I have always wanted (namely, more intercontinental matches), I like to see others to chime in with their own rankings/grades for say the top 50 teams in the world right now.

18. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    #593 pipinogol, Dec 19, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    Ok...top 50 it is.

(Teams under each rank/tier are just in alphabetical order, no internal rank)

Disclaimer: it's particularly difficult to rate the top african teams since they haven't played each other in serious games since 2019 and also haven't played anyone outside the continent in a long time.

Rank S (WC title favorites)
    France

Rank A (WC title contenders)
    Argentina, Brazil, England, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain

Rank A- (outside WC contenders)
    Belgium, Netherlands

Rank B (Not contenders yet world class)
    Colombia, Croatia, Denmark, Serbia, Switzerland, Uruguay

Rank B- (border world class )
    Algeria, Mexico, Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal, Sweden, USA

Rank C (world cup competitive)
    Austria, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, Czechia, Ecuador, Egypt, Iran, Ivory Coast, Japan, Peru, Poland, Russia, Scotland, Turkey, Ukraine, Wales

Rank C- (ocasionally competitive)
    Australia, Ghana, Greece, Hungary, Mali, Norway, Paraguay, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Tunisia

19. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I find it very tough to come up with a top 50 list and give every nation a grade.

The World Cup draw is on 1 April.
    So we'll know the identity of 30 teams by end of March leaving only two sides to determine through the intercontinental playoffs.
    I'll rank before the draw takes place the 32/34 nations with grades.
    I'll also come up with early predictions for the entire tournament say on 3 April.

I have already an idea who will do well and who not so much. The draw will hopefully sharpen the picture.

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Interesting. I would definitely put S. Korea on the list somewhere (rank C). Uruguay, on the other hand, doesn't deserve rank B right now. Maybe, if Darwin Nunez is healthy and lives up to your expectations, if Cavani can still contribute as a super-sub, Godin and Suarez gracefully retire, and the younger players also show better than they did against Bolivia, and Uruguay rebound and qualify, then maybe. But that's too many ifs.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    its hard, won't be IMHO any more accurate than FIFA/ELO, but do give it a try...I like to see your ratings

22. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Uruguay and Colombia regularly turn up at world cups.

Please tell me what Wales, Poland, Austria, Hungary have done.

I agree with you that most conembol teams other than the top 2 are on downward trajectories, but I still think they are better than those teams I mentioned above, who are also stagnant at best if not on downward trajectories themselves.

23. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Top 50 is too much for me.
    Especially CAF and UEFA are hard to assess right now. We'll have AFCON in January/February and then in March the playoffs. Same for UEFA.

I want to wait some months and see these teams in action in high stakes games.

By the end of March I'll have watched almost every team that is in the World Cup or can still get there.
    Then I'll feel confident about making a list.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  24. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #599 Kamtedrejt, Dec 19, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    So I recapitulate and give also for comparison how FIFA and ELO have it right now.

-----------------------------------FIFA------------------ELO

24x UEFA--------------------26x--------------------28x
    10x CAF----------------------7x----------------------4x
    8x CONMEBOL------------8x---------------------10x
    5x AFC-------------------------5x----------------------5x
    3x CONCACAF-------------4x----------------------3x
    0x OFC-------------------------0x----------------------0x

25. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    it’s C O N M E B O L not conembol

I’m sorry but it’s been affecting my blood pressure for a while now, somebody had to say it…
    :sneaky:

Rickdog repped this.