FIFA International Match Calendar: Proposed Changes & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    BocaFan repped this.
  2. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here, here!

3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...at which point, CAF would be well-advised to set up its own Nations League to make up the difference.

4. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I think the real joke is this stupid new competition that nobody really wants. The euro clubs all wanted to boycott this earlier in the year.

Will players be forced to play in this ?

I can't see this thing being anything other than a flop. I dont see top players or top clubs taking this seriously and I see no real prestige here.

A glorified friendly tournament if you ask me.

If anything they should have expanded the Confederations cup, not this useless trash.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It all depends on the prize money pot, and rumors suggest it is going to be rather significant. FIFA will ensure financial attractiveness to establish the competition.

6. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I just dont see it. The timing is just awful.

top euro clubs just finish the champions league, and you think suddenly they will be motivated for another FAR LESS PRESTIGIOUS club tournament right after.

I dont see it. Not physically or mentally possible for players to treat this thing with any seriousness.

They dont even have national pride to play for which makes top players at least turn it up a notch in World Cup years.

Just another meaningless club competition at the end of a grueling season.

I hope this falls flat on its face. I think its a disgrace.

BocaFan repped this.
  7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    We will just have to see how it turns out. I'm no big fan of the new CWC format myself but I do think it will be a commercial success for FIFA. The European elite will treat it seriously and use it as another platform for global brand building (and in the process relegate everyone else to a football version of the Washington Generals).

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    So the summer of 2021 is shaping up as follows:

2 June - 6 June [UEFA Nations League Finals]
    17 June - 4 July [FIFA Club World Cup]
    11 June - 9 July [CAF Africa Cup of Nations] - must move
    Dates TBA [CONCACAF Gold Cup]

@Paul Calixte - what's the latest word out of C'CAF regarding the future of the Gold Cup and its frequency?

9. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Also there is the UEFA under 21 finals in June 2021.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Wow! This pointless tournament adds a full 6 weeks to the season! 7-8 weeks for EPL players whose team doesn't reach the FA cup final.
    Why is this garbage starting so late?

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, so what was the plan if the Confederations Cup were still around? The African champ sitting out the AFCON?

Besides a tall glass of STFU to Carlos Cordeiro? :ROFLMAO:

The latest is that the Gold Cup will keep on as always...but something has to give, as 1) if this 24-team CWC is a success, FIFA are gonna want the summer of 2025 to themselves (at most, allowing for Nations League finals that same June) and 2) playing two Nations Leagues and two Gold Cups in a WC cycle does feel like overkill.

It was the only workaround FIFA had for shoehorning this into the existing calendar: using the exact dates marked off for the Confederations Cup.

Nico Limmat and jagum repped this.
  12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #12 Nico Limmat, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    True, but youth tournaments are not on the FIFA calendar (i.e. clubs don't have to release their players for it)

Yep, and CAF should have known that the dates are taken. I guess the question should be, why did FIFA schedule the Confederations Cup so late?

The club vs. country debates will be heated in the summer of 2021 when it becomes clear that someone like Mo Salah could play for both, Liverpool and Egypt in back-to-back tournaments. With FIFA, funnily enough, being on the club side for once. :D

13. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    well the confederations cup is scrapped so its a moot point, but I think they would have likely done what concacaf does.

Send the A team to the Confed cup and send a B+ team to the Nations cup.

14. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    players like Sadio Mane said this past summer that he would give away his champions league medal for an African nations cup championship.

Thats how much AFCON means to a lot of these players.

and you think he would rather play in some stupid club world cup (a glorified friendly tournament) instead of a chance at national glory ? Think again. Like I said I see no motivation or incentive for this tournament, for the top players at least.

Unless FIFA somehow forces players to play in their club world cup, I think there is going to be a lot of friction.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Just to be clear, the Confederations Cup and Gold Cup did not overlap in 2017:

17 June - 2 July [FIFA Confederations Cup]
    7 July - 26 July [CONCACAF Gold Cup]

FIFA won't be forcing the players, it will be their employers (i.e. the clubs) who want to build their global brand and get their hands on the prize money.

16. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Did the announcement about the shift to summer AFCONs happen before or after we basically knew the Confeds Cup was toast)

17. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not sure when CAF changed but when the World Cup was moved to November/December the original thought was to hold the CWC in Qatar in 2021 as the test tournament with a decision to be made on the Confed Cup being held somewhere else in Asia. As plans developed the future of the Confed Cup looked grim and the expanded CWC started to get traction within FIFA. We finally ended up where we are now.

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    CAF made the announcement in July 2017, right after the Confederations Cup. While there was some talk about the future of the competition (especially after Germany sent a B-side) - FIFA had definitely not pulled the plug then.

Here is the latest version of the FIFA Calendar. The 2021 Gold Cup has the following (also unsuitable) dates as of now: 2-25 July.

19. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I don't think any player will give up on playing at the FIFA Club World Cup. This what they say in meantime is just bollocks. Clubs pay their salaries and stuff. If I see someone placing NT over club, I will gladly eat a pile of dog's crap. European clubs opposed idea, now nobody says a thing. Same surely goes for players. :D Money talks.

I think (I am sure, actually) 2021 AFCON will be played without biggest names as those should be a part of CWC teams.

I wish FIFA all the worst, by the way.

20. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    P.S.

I am disgusted with 0.5 spots for OFC. Take their confederation status already, FIFA! The way you treat them is disgraceful. :sick::sick::sick:

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But they might as well be overlapping because, if I'm not mistaken, the practice is that players partake in one or the other, not both (there might be a couple of odd exceptions). And because both are NT competitions, it effectively means one NT fields a full B side in one of the competitions.

The Gold Cup is such a joke that its a pretty easy decision which competition to send your B team, but the conflict between AFCON and the CWC will be more problematic (and interesting), I suspect. Some players are pretty passionate about playing in the AFCON. And if they play for a big UEFA team, they are also pretty important to their NT.

22. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    European champion Sadio Mane stated he would trade his European championship with Liverpool for an Afcon championship with Senegal.

Thats the European championships !! and not some glorified friendly club tournament.

You dont get much bigger a player than Sadio Mane.

and please tell me why any top player would want to play this tournament right after completing the champions league ?

Its like having great sex with a 10, and then immedietly after somebody is forcing you to have sex with a 5. Why would you do it ?

23. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    People on the Liverpool forum are complaining about the TWO CWC games they have to play in Qatar THIS year because they’re worried about fixture congestion hurting their PL title chances. Some were even suggesting withdrawing from the CWC rather than dropping the Carabao Cup fixtures as was suggested publicly by Klopp. Which shows you how much they rate being “Club World Champions”.

Yet here we are with a 24-team CWC in two years. I really hate that they got rid of the Confeds Cup for this crap.

vancity eagle repped this.
  24. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It seems like you're going with assumption that a certain player can decide on whether he will play in official competition [for a club that pays him] or not.

If a club says: Sadio, you are going to Guangzhou and Shenzen with us to win the World Cup, Sadio will go.

25. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    #25 vancity eagle, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    I dont think its that simple. These players can negotiate contracts. The clubs understand that the players are human and need rest. The clubs may try to persuade players to miss the AFCON and play the CWC but ultimately they will have to concede, like they did when the AFCON took place in the middle of the club season. I think the players have far more sway than you give them credit for. The clubs will eventually have to figure out which competitions are of more importance and save their top players for the more important competitions. Top players are not used for cup matches for instance because they recognize they need to rest players. If Mane says "I'm playing in the nations cup, I need to be excused from CWC" The club will eventually have to let him be excused because why would they want to burn out their asset and risk injury. They cannot stop Mane from playing for Senegal, but they can rest him from CWC to give him rest.

The only thing the clubs can really do is not sign African players, or put it into their contracts that THEY MUST PLAY CWC. If you think Liverpool will not sign or re sign Mane because he doesn't want to play in a useless CWC once every 4 years, think again. CAF already moved the competition to the summer to please the European clubs. Now all of a sudden FIFA comes up with a stupid tournament in the summer, which the European clubs initially wanted to boycott. A compromise will be made. I think the Euro clubs will let the AFrican players have a summer break from the CWC. The only way the Euro clubs will win out is if they somehow provide an incentive for the players to want to choose club over country, which is highly unlikely as these players are already highly paid, and national pride is a much bigger motivator IMO than some extra cash. Or if an individual player WANTS to play in CWC over Afcon.

Here is what Sadio Mane said about the situation. I got this from a french site, here is translation.

The reform of the World Club a few weeks ago is a stir. The latest reaction is that of Sadio Mané who has pronounced on this situation which risks to make disappear the usual craze around the CAN.

Winner of the Champions League with Liverpool last season, the Senegalese international will probably be involved in both competitions. A fact that the number 10 regretted this Tuesday on the Future Radio Media: "It will be horrible to have to play the CAN and the Club World Cup".

If the two competitions should be played in the same period, Sadio Mané made a choice and Liverpool is already warned: "There is no debate on it, the priority is to wear the colors national ".