FIFA FUTURO III Course

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RedStar91, May 4, 2015.

1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    US Soccer just posted a link to download the instruction presentation of match incidents from the 2014 World Cup.

https://ussoccer.app.box.com/s/ruqcsf0671k1bcf6dzwf/1/418270280

It's a pretty big file to download, but they do show a lot of incidents from this past World Cup. Everyone's favorite World Cup referee Irmatov featured in several of the clips and most were highlighting incorrect decisions.

One clip that's on there and that I found really surprising as to what the correct call should have been was the penalty awarded to Greece at the end of their match between the Ivory Coast. Most of us on here were in agreement that it was a penalty and that the referee got it spot on. No real complaints from anyone after the match either.

The penalty is around the 5:25 minute mark.

https://ussoccer.app.box.com/s/ruqcsf0671k1bcf6dzwf/1/418270280/29084505416/1

The clip is clip #3 in the Penalty Area section of the notes.

FIFA/USSF says "#7 White goes to shoot the ball but as he shoots, his foot makes contact with the defender’s leg andfalls to the ground.The referee incorrectly calls a penalty kick."

I'm really surprised by this. Unless I'm seeing something else, the Greek player was kicked as he was about to shoot.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    The Instructor Notes states:

o_O

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sport Billy repped this.
  4. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    It does look like he kicks his own foot, the question is if there is contact prior to that. Hard to tell from those videos

5. lemma

lemma Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Well this is great news for me personally.

The next time I win the argument against video review during games, in addition to my usual list of questions that its proponents can never satisfactorily answer, I can also point out that if the world's refereeing experts can take take 10 months to re-referee something incorrectly from the comfort of their hotel conference room, what hope does the designated video shmuck have in 30 seconds at a World Cup knock-out match?

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  7. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wow. The second angle in that Vine clip makes it really obvious. I guess the argument is that the kicker is kicking the defender (so it's not the defender's fault)?

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I think the key is the plant foot of the defender.
    [​IMG]

The foot closest to the ball is BEHIND the foot of the attacker.
    He was not attempting to play the ball nor was it possible for him to play the ball.
    He was simply running through the attacker as he shot.

Clear foul.