Fifa Club World Championship

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by DCU1996, Sep 25, 2003.

1. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Club World Championship...

Dream coming true...

Exactly the way I wanted - every other year avoding the years of Worldcup -> 2003 2005 2007 and so on...

thus,

2002 worldcup soccer
    2003 world clubcup soccer
    2004 olympic soccer
    2006 worldcup soccer
    2007 world clubcup soccer
    2008 worldcup soccer

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/event/index,2000,1130.html

soccer for eveybody for every year...

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Um, that article is from August 2001. It's about the 2003 CWC that was already cancelled some time ago. The CWC is dead.

3. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    There won't be a World Club Cup this year. Maybe there will be one in 2005, but almost all European Top Clubs are opposed to the idea at all, because the match calander is already completely full.

Only in the odd years there is a free summer (allthough there is the Confederations Cup), and the clubs want to keep it that way, because the players need that rest.

4. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A more relevant article, from 21 March 2003:

Productive discussions between FIFA and top European clubs
    http://www.fifa.com/en/display/mrel,52512.html

Quote: "In addition, FIFA urged European clubs to reconsider their views on the Club World Championship, as world football's governing body firmly believes that this competition is of great value, not only to the public, but also to the clubs themselves."

Back to a format discussion? I've settled on that this format that I would propose: every two years, sixteen teams, single elimination (so the max each team plays is four games). By continent, knowing that you take two year's worth of continental club tournaments: Europe (4), South America (4), North America (2), Asia (2), Africa (2), Oceania (1), host country (1).

Forza AZ: "Only in the odd years there is a free summer (allthough there is the Confederations Cup), and the clubs want to keep it that way, because the players need that rest."

Didn't we just have six clubs come to America to play in the "Champions World Tour?" You CAN do this one-and-out tournament every two years.

5. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Initially, I would like...

host country (1), Europe (6), South America (3), North America (2), Asia & Oceania(2), Africa (2)

6. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Well, if that's the case, then I'm all for it, baby!

7. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Soccer Australia....i mean the NEW Australian Soccer Association state that the champions of the 2003/2004 NSL season will be eligible for the CWC for 2005.

I take it it is still on as the ASA have released this a few weeks ago.

8. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It says here that since Toluca won this years Champion's Cup, they qualify as the CONCACAF representative, to the next edition of the FIFA World Club Championships scheduled for 2005.

http://concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2177

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    guess they'll be playing with themselves...

10. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    could be...

11. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Blatter just said today that WCC will be back in 2005.
    Just read an article on it. Good Im 100% for it.

12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The Organising Committee for the FIFA Club World Championship proposed today in Zurich, Switzerland that the next championship to be played in one of the associations from the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) on 17-31 July 2005.

http://concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2224

13. SousaJP

SousaJP New Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Vienna, VA
  14. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Hmmm. Any particular association? Perhaps that large country to the North with big stadiums and lots of (potential) soccer money?

15. DoorKnob

DoorKnob New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    DC
    I understand all the difficulties getting this tournament together; but is seems extremely stupid to have your qualification process done two years in advance. It doesn't do much to guarantee your best team will show up.

16. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    Give it up already. This will happen when the G-14 says it will, not when FIFA does, in other words: not in the foreseeable future.

17. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    actually cosmos - the G14 are going to get the financial guarantees they have been looking for. Don't even think this was really about fixture congestion.

The time of the year is perfect for the Euro and South American sides, it's in their preseason. We saw last summer that these teams can draw some good crowds so there will be some money on hand.

A Man U or Liverpool goes on tour in Asia every so often, this will be no different. The money will be similar.

Just don't think that those teams will be going all out to win. They will be working to get their squad into shape for the upcoming season.

DoorKnob - they won't care about the strongest team. It's just a money-spinning thing. I imagine there will be some VERY creative mixing and matching to get the 16 teams. I guess I should look at this other thread about formats. I would guess they'll want a couple of Mexican and U.S. teams involved if possible.

18. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    Who needs this tournament?

19. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Good question. Another would be: What time of the year will it be held? There aren't many big gaps in the schedule where you can squeeze in a 16-team tournament.

20. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who is interested in establishing a world champion, perhaps?

Sort of like having the world cup, too.

21. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The Organising Committee for the FIFA Club World Championship proposed today in Zurich, Switzerland that the next championship to be played in one of the associations from the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) on 17-31 July 2005.

http://concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2224

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm going to hold the FIFA WCC on my PS2 as soon as I get FIFA 2004. I'll you know who wins.

Sachin

23. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    Teams like Toluca and Morelia and Wollagong and others.

All the minnow leagues in the world would love to have the opportunity to prove themselves against arguably the best teams in the world.

Why deny teams that chance?

24. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, to prove that the arguably best teams really are the best. Until they do on the pitch, they haven't done that. The highest value of the sport is the game itself. Without playing it on the pitch, nothing is meaningful outside of the hype-crazed minds of fans and journalists. If that's all that matters, well then fine. If you care about the sport, though, it has to be about the game.

G.

25. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I doubt any of the major clubs would call back their stars early from an already short summer vacation to take part in this. The Real Madrids and AC Milans will probably send B-squads.