FIFA Best Awards

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by AD78, Nov 25, 2020.

1. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Looks like its on: https://www.fifa.com/the-best-fifa-football-awards/best-fifa-mens-player/

Whilst not the worst list I am not a fan of restricting to eleven (as opposed to ten last year), whilst every player in the list has a strong case for being there having a wider net is more fair, for example, was Ramos better than Benzema? Not in my opinion, same re Alcantara over Kimmich or Muller, again, not sure.

My view is put forward 20 or 30 and let the voters decide.

Good news that its happening though as if Lewandowski wins which he should, then he will get recognised for his season despite France Football's lame cancellation...... or will they do a late u-turn to not be overshadowed by FIFA?

comme and Titanlux repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year the captains, coaches, and media combine for 502 ballots. Every Men's Player was on at least 32 ballots, which was 6.4 percent. There was a big gap between third and fourth, but 107 ballots, which is 21.3 percent gave a first place vote to someone other than Messi (135 first place votes), Ronaldo (153 first place votes but fewer points from the 5-3-1 weighting),, and Virgil Van Dijk (107 first place votes).

Gregoriak repped this.
  3. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Has anyone seen the results of the World Soccer Magazine Award?

They normally post online and in the magazine but think have just gone for the magazine so far?

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Yes, it’s in the magazine. Pretty decent I’d say overall. Lewandowski the overall winner and got 3 times as many points as second place.

1. Lewandowski
    2. De Bruyne
    3. Messi
    4. Mane
    5. Ronaldo
    6. Van Dijk
    7. Muller
    8. Neymar
    9. Neuer
    10. Mbappe
    11. Kimmich
    12. Davies
    13. Haaland
    14. Salah
    15. Thiago

Edhardy, Gregoriak and AD78 repped this.
  5. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #5 AD78, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Thanks for posting, I always find the World Soccer Award a pretty accurate list and agree this year is no exception!

Thanks again !

comme repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  7. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Would it be possible to know the total number of nominees and their number of votes?

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This is the full listing:

1. Lewandowski 187
    2. De Bruyne 63
    3. Messi 56
    4. Mane 34
    5. Ronaldo 33
    6. Van Dijk 27
    7. Muller 21
    8. Neymar 21
    9. Neuer 21
    10. Mbappe 17
    11. Kimmich 16
    12. Davies 15
    13. Haaland 11
    14. Salah 10
    15. Thiago 10
    16. Bruno Fernandes 6
    17. Lukaku 5
    18. Rashford 5
    19. Luis Alberto 5
    20. Henderson 5
    21. Werner 4
    22. Papu Gomez 4
    23. Benzema 4
    24. Marquinhos 3
    25. Immobile 3
    26. Ocampos 2
    27. Gnabry 1
    28. Sterling 1

9. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    AD78 repped this.
  11. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Mane placed ahead of De Bruyne in the FIFA vote and Salah/Thiago ahead of Van Dijk says it all.

The clickbait forces are strong. Maybe the Africans can bring Lamine Diack into town as well.

12. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    A thread is open for the users of this blog to give our opinion to choose the best 5 players of this year. You may want to give your verdict and the corresponding reasons.

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    FourFourTwo have tried to step into France Football's void by organising their own poll, drawing on journalists from 101 nations to come up with an alternative Ballon d'Or. Order and points totals below:

1. Lewandowski 561
    2. De Bruyne 120
    3. Mane 113
    4. Messi 101
    5. Ronaldo 98
    6. Neuer 69
    7. Van Dijk 67
    8. Mbappe 64
    9. Kimmich 59
    10. Neymar 48
    11. Haaland 43
    12. Salah 42
    13. Muller 36
    14. Ramos 27
    15. Thiago Alcantara 23
    15. Gnabry 23
    17. Immobile 21
    18. Son 18
    19. Alphonso Davies 15
    20. Lukaku 14
    21. Alexander-Arnold 13
    22. Benzema 11
    23. Bruno Fernandes 10
    24. Alisson 7
    25. Marqinhos 4
    26. Goretzka 3
    26. Robertson 3
    28. Kane 2
    29. Henderson 1
    30. Di Maria 0

Titanlux repped this.
  14. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lewandowski has three or four times Ronaldo's votes in every category but FIFA manage to turn the combined vote to:

1st Lewandowski 52
    2nd Ronaldo 38
    3rd Messi 35

How the hell does that happen?

15. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bit harsh I think, whilst Mane's recent form for Liverpool has dropped of a cliff, he was excellent last season and most voting will focus on that, for Liverpool whilst VVD has a case to have had as good as or better season, Mane in my opinion was definitely better than Salah.

I think VVD struggles from the typical defender issue of not headline grabbing, a defender can be the best player on the pitch for 25-30 games of the season but a player who scores a few or grabs a few headline gets inflated. I still think Stam was United's best player of 98-99 Treble winning season by a distance, but no headlines, as he played team littered with other big attacking names.

Agree though re De Bruyne and he was a clear number two for me behind Lewandowski.

I feel the man who has been totally forgotten in the awards was Benzema, Ramos is a bigger name and has since got in number top tens or around. I think only Goal.com had him high and in number 8 but nothing in FIFA or UEFA awards and low in World Soccer Awards.

16. elegos7

elegos7 Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Has anyone seen the results (at least the Top 10) of the World Soccer Magazine Award for 2018?
    I cannot find it on the net, as opposed to other years. Luka Modric won in that year.

Titanlux repped this.
  17. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Honestly, I do not understand where these scores come from. As you say, the differences between the votes granted to Lewandowski and the rest are enormous. Those that I published come from adding each and every one of the votes of the captains, coaches and journalists. Maybe I could have made a mistake in some vote, but the accounts will not be very different from the ones that appear in the image that I attached.

18. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Here you have it mate ;)
    para elegos.jpg

elegos7 repped this.
  19. elegos7

elegos7 Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Thank you very much mate.

20. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I found 2018 interesting as FIFA, Ballon d'or and WS Magazine all had the exactly the same top ten (in different order though) and was the same as UEFA except Ramos in for Kane... probably the clearest atop ten in recent times.

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Captains, coaches, media, and fans are the four categories. Each category has a point system with 13 for first, 11 (I think) for second, and you can find it on FIFA if you look. 52 is a perfect score. The gaps within each category don't matter. I can't speak for FIFA, but the reason could be that there are a ton of fans relative to the 577 combined ballots from captains, coaches, and media. FIFA made fans be worth one-quarter regardless of how many fans vote. The point system is FIFA's method of adding apples (captains, coaches, and media) and oranges (fans).

Titanlux repped this.