FIFA 2023 WWC qualifiers

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by SiberianThunderT, Jun 30, 2020.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Buried among the news that Jayne Ludlow was leaving the Wales NT after 6 years was the announcement that the WWC23 qualifiers will start in September in Europe.

toad455 and blissett repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And they have done it again, training camp news and 30 April is the date for the WWC qualifying draw

West Ender repped this.
  3. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The pots if UEFA use this system:
    Pot 1: Netherlands, Germany, England, France, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Italy, Denmark

Pot 2: Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Iceland, Scotland, Russia, Finland, Portugal, Wales

Pot 3: Czech Republic, Ukraine, Ireland, Poland, Slovenia, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Northern Ireland

Pot 4: Slovakia, Hungary, Belarus, Croatia, Greece, Albania, North Macedonia, Israel, Azerbaijan

Pot 5: Turkey, Malta, Kosovo, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Cyprus, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Latvia

Pot 6:Montenegro, Lithuania, Estonia, Luxembourg, Andorra

Lechus7, toad455 and shlj repped this.
  4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't know how reliable this info is, but it looks like North Korea have pulled ut of the WWC 2023 qualifications:

sbahnhof, toad455 and blissett repped this.
  5. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    It's about their men's team which already played some games in those qualifiers.

Women teams in AFC qualify to WWC thru AFC Women's Cup
    (which is to be held in India in 2022 :cautious:)
    AFC Women's Cup 2022 Qulifications start in September (draw is this month)

It's safe to say that NK will probably withdraw their women NT from international competition as well..although last year their men team was playing Tokyo Olympic qualifiers while the women team has been withdrawn (imo they would have not pass anti-doping tests).

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeeaaahhhh I'd be shocked if India successfully hosts anything anytime soon...

7. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Well, as an Indian-American, I personally hope AFC waits until the last minute to change the host so they have no choice but to let India keep its spot in the tournament. :p

toad455 repped this.
  8. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Is india still participating in the qualifiers? No need to look for a new host when the tournament is about 18 months away. Now, for them hosting the U-17 World Cup, that could warrant looking for a new host within the next few months.

9. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Apparently the tournament is actually scheduled for January/February 2022 (coldest months in India probably), but I guess they could probably have it in October/November 2022 instead and it would probably be okay.

Edit: Average high in Delhi in October is a sizzling 32.8 C/91 F. That must be why the January/February dates.

10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    With what’s going on in India right now, it won’t happen and they should choose a different host nation because they will not recover for a long time. It’s already more than a year now.

11. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    2 years delay? The girls who were suppose to be in U17 might as well play in U19 wc.

12. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I was talking about the Women’s Asian Cup.

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyson Scott
    @Tys0nScott
    2h
    FIFAWWC Australia & New Zealand 2023 dates are locked in:
    20 July - 20 August 2023 The new play-off tournament to decide the final three slots for the #FIFAWWC will be played down under between February 17 - 23 2023!

West Ender repped this.
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff
    @SoccerInsider

1h
    Paramount+ continues to secure soccer rights: Asian World Cup qualifying for men and women, plus AFC club tournaments, industry source says. Effective this fall. Expecting further details this week.

16. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    My 11 teams that I see qualifying for the women out of Europe (UEFA)

1- England
    2- France
    3- Germany
    4- Sweden
    5- Portugal
    6- Netherlands
    7- Italy
    8- Croatia
    9- Scotland
    10- Poland
    11- Spain

17. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No qualifier from Group E?:confused:

Ofori repped this.
  18. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Unfortunately no but then who do you think qualifies out of the UEFA Women's qualifiers to get to Australia/New Zealand

19. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sweden
    Spain
    Netherlands
    England
    Denmark
    Norway
    Italy
    Germany
    France
    Iceland
    Austria
    Switzerland

Ofori repped this.
  20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    You know what this list I can actually agree with it

21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But as far as the Asian teams for 2023 for the women (5 teams plus hosts)

Australia (co host)
    Japan
    China
    Iran
    South Korea
    India

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, as Lohmann pointed out, you kinda need to have a qualifier out of UEFA's group E by necessity, because the group winners qualify directly.... You can't just opt to think they're not strong enough to cut it. Also, there's no way that all six of Scotland, Portugal, Poland, Croatia, Iran, and India qualify; I'd be surprised if even two of the UEFA teams in that list qualify. Croatia, Iran, and India are all outside the top 50 in confederations that have plenty of teams above them.

23. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Then who do you have as your 32 teams that qualify for the WWC

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #99 SiberianThunderT, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Well it's always a gamble trying to predict stuff, especially at the edges, but I think seeing a team outside the top 50 qualify from anywhere other than CAF is slim to none. Group stages are pretty predictable, while knockouts are less so, so here's what I'm willing to say at the moment:

UEFA
    Top seven are clear (NED/GER/ENG/FRA/SWE/ESP/NOR)
    ITA/SUI and DEN/RUS are the only question marks on who wins their group, but in both cases the pot 1 team is favored.
    It ITA or DEN fall to the playoffs, I think they'd get one of the remaining two direct spots. Aside from that, I'm not predicting who wins the playoffs, but you won't get anyone below POL even making the playoffs in the first place

AFC
    Top three are clear (AUS/CHN/JPN)
    We don't even now how AFC's preliminary qualification will be set up yet, which makes thing interesting considering KOR eliminated DPK last time, but assuming that doesn't happen this time around, the top six (group winners+runners-up) would be the aforementioned five teams and either VIE or THA.
    If the group stage draw is really weird, then maybe one of the next four teams (TPE, UZB, MYA, JOR) might sneak into the sixth direct spot.

OFC
    NZL is already the lone direct qualifier

C'BOL
    BRA is clear.
    I would wager ARG and COL getting the other two direct spots.
    CHI will challenge those two though, and I'll bet that whichever of those three teams drops to the international playoffs will still qualify. This is the only playoff prediction I'm moderately confident in.

C'CAF
    Top three are clear (USA/CAN/MEX)
    I'm including MEX because I think that the growth seen in their league over the past four years means that last cycle's surprise won't happen again.
    For that fourth direct spot, It'll be CRC or JAM, depending on the group stage draw.

CAF
    Africa is always information-sparse, making it hard to predict, especially since we'll be getting four direct qualifiers from three groups. The safe bet is NGA, RSA, CMR, GHA, but with how fluid Africa is, I could see up to 10 other teams providing a surprise.

TL;DR
    There are 26 or so teams I think are clear. For the remaining 6 spots, I'm can't say who will make it, but I do know it'll be from a limited pool, i.e. I can say who won't: anyone outside the top 50 unless they're from Africa, and anyone from Europe outside the top 35.

blissett, Klingo3034 and JanBalk repped this.
  25. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nigeria plays against Ghana in the first qualifying round so that only one of them can qualify.

Ofori, blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.